SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#108348 - 11/26/00 08:00 AM Seek "Wireless Mic" Recommendations
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Uncle Dave & all,
As I stated before, one important mic consideration for me is having a "hot signal". This provides the option of plugging it directly into my keyboard (KN5000)without having to turn up the "mic gain" much on the keyboard. As far as I know, the EV767 (and the entire EV mic line?) produces the "hottest signal" compared to other pro mics on the market. Can anyone out there tell me which other mic brands/models produce a "hot signal" similar to the EV line?

Also, is UHF worth the price difference over the less expensive VHF wireless systems? Better frequency response and sound quality? Less interference?

Anyone here either own or checked out the following Electro-Voice Wireless mic systems? Which wireless EV mic system do you own Uncle Dave?

MS3000 UHF
N/DYM NRU
R100 VHF
R200 UHF
http://www.electrovoice.com/New/Main_NavBar_Areas/Product_Area/ProductArea-Frameset.html

Feedback and recommendations regarding wireless mic systems appreciated.

- Scott

#108349 - 11/26/00 08:09 AM Re: Seek "Wireless Mic" Recommendations
Dnj Offline

Scott,
my second choice would be the Sennheisure line of mics for a hot signal. Also check out all the mics wireless and wired at:
www.fullcompass.com

Donny

#108350 - 11/26/00 12:34 PM Re: Seek "Wireless Mic" Recommendations
Scottyee Offline

Sounds like I'd better rule out the wireless mic headset idea now . Which EV Wireless handheld System do you own Uncle Dave? The "N/DYM NRU" UHF system?

I had heard that there was a keyboard (arranger?) which has a "mic boom" built in (or mounted) to the keyboard itself. Any one here hear of this? It certainly would be nice not to have to haul a separate mic stand/boom to every gig.

Thanks,

Scott

#108351 - 11/26/00 10:31 PM Re: Seek "Wireless Mic" Recommendations
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
Scott,

For wireless headset microphone I use Audio Technica 7000 series UHF wireless system (100 selectable channels) with Countryman Isomax headset microphone for A-T body pack. I like the Isomax a little better than Audio Technica's own ATM73a headset mic for sound quality and unobtrusive look. Sony has even smaller headworn/lavalier mics but Sony wireless systems are much more expensive. As for wireless handheld mic I use the same A-T 7000 series system with ATW-T76 handheld unidirectional dynamic mic. In my experience, the signal level from this system is much much hotter than products like Shure LX VHF wireless with Shure Beta 58A handheld mic or cheaper A-T VHF models like the good old 1000 (no change over a decade) or the newer 1100 series. I have not used any handheld condenser mics with wireless systems (too expensive and not rugged enough for me) so I cannot tell how much better they are.

Paul Ip
from Texas

[This message has been edited by Paul Ip (edited 11-26-2000).]

#108352 - 11/27/00 08:42 AM Re: Seek "Wireless Mic" Recommendations
Calvin Offline

Loc: Castle Rock, CO, USA
Take a look at NADY mics. They are great and on some hand held models you can choose your mic head which gives you the option of mating the transmitter with any one of sefveral mic manufacturers.

#108353 - 11/27/00 10:35 AM Re: Seek "Wireless Mic" Recommendations
Scottyee Offline

Paul Ip,
Thanks for your wireless mic headset brand/model recommendation. My question to you, and other mic headset users as well, is "how to" handle performing with the mic positioned at a fixed position? Is there a way to easily adjust the volume level (to simulate mic hand held mic techiques: getting close to the mic (eating the mic), backing off, etc? I love the idea of a headset mic (while playing the keyboard and singing) but have been hesitant to take the plunge because of the restrictions that Uncle Dave outlined earlier in this thread. I'm wondering if there is a remote mic volume controller unit which could be triggered (via foot pedal) to simulate the mic techniques I outlined above? Can you share headset mic techniques (tips/tricks) which might be used to overcome the fixed mic position limitation?
- Scott

Calvin,
Thanks for the Nady recommendation? Which specific model and mic head do you use?
- Scott

#108354 - 11/27/00 01:02 PM Re: Seek "Wireless Mic" Recommendations
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
Scott,

Since a headset mic is worn at a fixed angle I do not know of any technique to achieve what you mentioned. However, if your wireless mic receiver unit is reachable by your hands, you can always use the audio attenuator/level control knob (better models usually have it) to change the amplification level of you audio out signal. I have not tried setting up anything between Solton X-1 and a microphone unit but I imagine that a good continous signal controller like Roland/Boss FV-300L (2 in 2 out) foot volume switch should be able to do the trick. I usually use FV-300L to control fade in/fade out of different keyboards simultaneously. Since it can handle effects units as well I guess it can handle the audio out of a wireless receiver as input. A volume control knob at the base controls the minimum output level you desire when the pedal is at minimum output position. This is a new kind of usage of such pedal for me and I will try it tonight and let you know about the result.

By the way, NADY mics are acceptable mics for home use and shorter operating distance, not stage use though. I have much better results with the pro mics (like AT, Shure, Vega ... etc.) than those systems made for home use. The above statement is based on usage in larger room sizes (100 people and up).

Thanks,

Paul Ip
from Texas

[This message has been edited by Paul Ip (edited 11-27-2000).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online