SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#195026 - 10/31/00 07:06 AM Opinions on Best Small Keyboard Amp Please?.....
Dnj Offline

Hi,
I use a great sounding MACKIE SR450 Sound system for most Gigs which is more then awesome! I use the X! by itself for very small room gigs. But I have some in between medium room gigs too and was wondering what would be a good sounding SMALL , Lightweight Keyboard amp that could be used for both Keyboard/Vocals so I don't have to lug around the Big Stuff. Whats New or Old and exciting on the market? Price?

Thanx

Donny

#195027 - 10/31/00 07:17 AM Re: Opinions on Best Small Keyboard Amp Please?.....
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Donny,
A couple of suggestions would be.
1)Peavey KBA/30. A small lightweight 40 watt bi-amps keyboard amp with a balanced mic input. Very small, lightweight, and a very clean sound. Price is retail $349.00. Quite amazing for it's size! The only biamped model of it's type. Three channels.
2) Roland KC100 and KC300 are also very good but not quite as small or reasonably priced!
3) I would also recommend the prime PM 50. Although it is made in Korea, it has two mic inputs, reverb, CD inputs, 2 keyboard inputs, external speaker jack, 50 watts, 10" speaker and a horn, and a speaker stand hole in the bottom with a price of $249.00. the size is a small cube.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#195028 - 10/31/00 07:42 AM Re: Opinions on Best Small Keyboard Amp Please?.....
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I have a pair of Roland KC100. The reason I selected the KC100 is because I sometimes have to perform at churches seating 300+ people. So KC100 was able to deliver the power I need and it is relatively small for the amount of power you get from them. But as George said the pair will cost you over $500.

What do I think of the sound quality? Good but not great. When I listen to sk880 through different headphones, the quality of the sound is better. There are two possibilities:

1) KC100 is flat and realistic Headphones are enhancing some of the frequency.
2) Headphones are more realistic so you are losing some "middle and low" frequency from KC100.

I tend to believe that #2 is the right choice. However, today I will be listening to the Keyboard through Event PS6 biamplified monitors and I will test that theory further.

#195029 - 10/31/00 08:34 AM Re: Opinions on Best Small Keyboard Amp Please?.....
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
For smaller rooms (less than 50 people)I use a single Roland KC300 keyboard amp http://www.rolandus.com/Files/KC300FX.HTM
which weighs 38 lbs. Relative to its' size, I think it sounds GREAT! - smooth frequency response. I feel the KC100, though 10 lbs lighter (29-1/2 lbs) just doesn't sound good enough (esp. for vocals) to justify the weight difference.

For medium size venues (75 - 175), I just take two KC300s linked in stereo and place them on tripods. For small/medium venues, I run 'all' EQ/effects thru the keyboard (Technics KN5000) so the "final output" goes to the Roland KC300. For larger venues, I add a pair of BOSE 802 bi-amped speakers dedicated solely to vocals. http://www.bose.com/products/on_stage/802gold.html

The KN300 is very easy to transport (via small fold up luggage cart) and quick to setup. I don't know about the Solton X1, but I never, I mean NEVER use the Technics KN5000 keyboard's internal speakers alone for any gig performance. It may seem sufficient (marginally) in the smallest of rooms, but . . .

When it comes to music, the ONE thing I won't compromise on is the sound. Other than musicianship & stage presence, sound quality determines the professional level of a performance which can then insure future gig bookings. I always keep in mind that the people in the audience are all potential booking(s).

Hey Donny, can you please tell us again which PA sound reinforcement system you currently use? What is its' weight? I thought I remember it being pretty light as well. I'm interested in checking out your system as well.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 10-31-2000).]

#195030 - 10/31/00 08:50 AM Re: Opinions on Best Small Keyboard Amp Please?.....
Dnj Offline

I would say check out the Mackie SR450's at www.mackie.com. Nothing IMO even comes close!

#195031 - 10/31/00 10:43 AM Re: Opinions on Best Small Keyboard Amp Please?.....
Clif Anderson Offline

The Roland PM-3 is at the top of my list. This is a subwoofer plus two satellites that can be mounted on some keyboard stands. These were designed for drums, but are supposed to work well for keyboards and vocals. No separate mic inputs, but I would be using an arranger as the mixer. There is a separate set of line inputs for a module or a outboard vocalizer.

#195032 - 10/31/00 12:08 PM Re: Opinions on Best Small Keyboard Amp Please?.....
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
The Roland PM-3 http://www.rolandus.com/images/PM-3_L.jpg
sounds like an interesting option Clif. Are you actually using this setup on your arranger rig?

My concern is whether this system has been "optimized" specifically for drums & percussion and not for vocals (even though it says you can use it for keyboards).

Do you happen to know the weight and dimensions of the sub-woofer? The subwoofer looks heavier than my KC300 (38 lbs).I couldn't find any PM-3 specs on Roland's US web site.

Thanks

Scott

#195033 - 10/31/00 03:01 PM Re: Opinions on Best Small Keyboard Amp Please?.....
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Scott

I have not purchased the PM-3 yet. I discussed it by e-mail with Uncle Dave, who first brought it to my attention. I was concerned about the PM-3s suitability for keyboards and vocals. He felt it would be a marvelous keyboard amplifier. Maybe he can say a little more on the subject in this thread.

I have auditioned the PM-3 set. It sounds good, but the drum floor surroundings were not conducive to critical evaluation. I think the subwoofer is substantial, 15" I believe. I do not know the actual weight, but at least it comes with wheels. However, the satellites are light, maybe two pounds each. I am hoping some others look into this option because I am interested in hearing more opinions. I do think this 3-way system makes more sense than conventional two-speaker systems for stereo keyboards.

#195034 - 10/31/00 09:26 PM Re: Opinions on Best Small Keyboard Amp Please?.....
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Keyboard amplification:
I use a makie 1202 board (the new one) and two Yorkville E160p powered speakers. They are 200watts ea. have a horn and (1) 10" speaker Both horn driver and speaker are RCF(same as Mackie)They are light/the bass response will astound you for the size/coupled with the Mackie the sound quality is second to NONE!! There not cheap but then again nothing worth while ever is.

#195035 - 10/31/00 09:43 PM Re: Opinions on Best Small Keyboard Amp Please?.....
Dnj Offline

Hi Scott,

2- Mackie SRM450 powered speakers
Mackie 1202pro Mixer
Seperate Digital FX processor ( I don't sing thru the keyboard)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online