SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#506910 - 10/28/22 09:23 AM Go Go Swing Beat
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Anyone familiar with Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers "GO GO Swing" beat. It's so infectious it will definitely get the dancers on the floor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqL_QoRM3Co
its great fun. dance
Searching thru my big library of Roland Styles I haven't found anything yet that I can use for a basis and edit. Anyone know of a Roland Style hidden someplace in the old files.

Edited by Bill Lewis (10/28/22 09:25 AM)

#506916 - 10/28/22 10:47 AM Re: Go Go Swing Beat [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I don’t recall a go-go beat in any Roland.

But probably the biggest mainstream go-go hit was ‘Da Butt’ by E.U. (Experience Unlimited) off the School Daze soundtrack, so it might be worth a search in your collections for that name. If not, maybe there’s an SMF you can lift some parts from to make a style…

Thing is, go-go was a mostly a mid 80’s thing in the mainstream, and arrangers were a fair bit simpler back then!

Best of luck…

#506918 - 10/28/22 10:59 AM Re: Go Go Swing Beat [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Good idea. chuck Brown did have one minor hit "Bustin Loose" maybe a SMF for that can be found.
Actually not expecting to find a specific Go Go beat but it has a lot of Latin influence in it so I was thinking in that direction.

Edited by Bill Lewis (10/28/22 11:41 AM)

#506931 - 10/29/22 07:29 AM Re: Go Go Swing Beat [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

It’s the inside swing factor that defines go-go. If you find a style that is too straight but otherwise usable, you might be able to edit it so it has that swing quantization.

Life used to be a lot easier back in the old days when simple drum machines had that ‘swing factor’ knob!

#506943 - 10/30/22 09:48 AM Re: Go Go Swing Beat [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I, personally, would not have used this particular style for any of my audiences, young or old. Maybe it's me - but I don't believe this is a dance floor filler.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#506944 - 10/30/22 10:39 AM Re: Go Go Swing Beat [Re: Bill Lewis]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Gary, the go- go style is considered the official music of Washington, DC, so I’m sure it’s popular in MD, too. Maybe it wouldn’t have gone over well for your audiences but it certainly has a large fan base. Just check out in any Chuck Brown live performance video and you’ll see plenty of people moving and grooving smile

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#506952 - 10/30/22 05:36 PM Re: Go Go Swing Beat [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'll check it out, Paul. Guess I'm getting old! smile

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#506969 - 10/31/22 09:13 AM Re: Go Go Swing Beat [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

If you can get a groove like that going you can put more familiar songs over it, making them fresh and more danceable. Sometimes you need to freshen up your sound. A good friend of mine did something similar to "My Girl" and its become a dance floor hit in his sets. And it's a great feel to jam over with his sax player. Plus it's fun to keep learning new musical ideas.

#506972 - 10/31/22 10:43 AM Re: Go Go Swing Beat [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
I'll check it out, Paul. Guess I'm getting old! smile

Gary

No worries, Gary. Go-go music is a sub genera of funk, it has loyal fan bass, a few big hits over the years, but it's very much a regional style, native to DC.

Being a drummer, I find this music fascinating blend of Funk, Afro-Latino with a slight swing feel. A drummer must have some serious skills to properly pull it off.

Check out this short demonstration by drummer Stan Moor.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#506973 - 10/31/22 10:50 AM Re: Go Go Swing Beat [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

Another option for nailing go-go on an arranger without a custom style, especially on the BK-9, might be to hunt some go-go audio drum loops down and use the Key Audio function to add them to a style with the drums and percussion style track muted.

Don’t forget, if you don’t want to lose the top octave to trigger notes for the loops, they can always be assigned to an FC7… A bit safer choice, IMHO!

(In fact, there’s several nice clean loops to be had from this video if you chop the audio up. Just remember copyright rules, no commercial recording use without permission…)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online