SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#504980 - 02/20/22 09:07 AM EQ Old Ears
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
At 90, my ears are creating a problem. What sounds good to me, sound sharp to others with normal ears. What sounds good to other people, sound muddy to me.

If I play music for the groups that meet at my home – or go to my neighbors with my KMA, (easy to carry) how do I set an acceptable EQ?

I have given this problem much thought --- I am looking for some suggestions.
Thank you, John C.

#504981 - 02/20/22 03:31 PM Re: EQ Old Ears [Re: bruno123]
zuki Offline

Impressive at 90! Do you have monitors? I find the same at my age. It gets better when I mix through Yamaha HS7s. I pay a bit more attention in toning down the treble in my studio. These particular monitors bode well with my QSCK8.2s live too.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#504982 - 02/21/22 12:45 AM Re: EQ Old Ears [Re: bruno123]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I might be wrong but since you have been a piano tuner for many years, it could be a matter of perception. When I am forced to have my Bose close to me, I perceive too much bass, but when checking the room out, and asking people, I find the eq fine. That addesses the muddy problem, but unless you are playing guitar, how can you be sharp with a KMA?

#504985 - 02/21/22 12:24 PM Re: EQ Old Ears [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Consider yourself fortunate to still have some degree of hearing left to work with. Keep in mind that as we age, men tend to lose the high frequency sounds, while women tend to lose the low frequency sounds. The best way to compensate for this is with hearing aids - in fact, it is the only way. Hearing aids will allow you to adjust and amplify the frequency that you have lost, thereby correcting your EQ so you will hear the sounds normally. Monitors will not do this. I, and several others on this site, have experienced the same problem over the years, and I found myself cranking up the high EQ on the keyboard, higher and higher so I could hear those high hat cymbals, strings, steel guitars, etc, while audience members with normal hearing were complaining that the sound was too loud. After purchasing hearing aids, I knew exactly what they were talking about, and I was able to make the adjustments.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#504986 - 02/21/22 01:07 PM Re: EQ Old Ears [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Keep in mind that as we age, men tend to lose the high frequency sounds, while women tend to lose the low frequency sounds.

Gary cool

That could save a marriage. She can't hear him and he can't hear her. Win win.

smile smile

chas

#504988 - 02/21/22 07:49 PM Re: EQ Old Ears [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

smile

#504990 - 02/22/22 06:09 AM Re: EQ Old Ears [Re: travlin'easy]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
Hi Gary, I always read all your post You are an Amazing Person. Always offering Help to everyone! Hearing aides are coming soon for My ears. I still do sound for special events at My Church. My left ear is getting bad. Still happy with your Bose aides? I think they will be ordered in the near future. Sincerely Harold

#504992 - 02/22/22 08:47 AM Re: EQ Old Ears [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Yes, the Bose aids really work well for me. I have a friend, though, that has severe hearing loss and thus far, no hearing aids, regardless of the brand or cost, have helped him. He now is becoming a lip reader.

All the best,

Gary

#504993 - 02/22/22 10:57 AM Re: EQ Old Ears [Re: Bernie9]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Bernie9
I might be wrong but since you have been a piano tuner for many years, it could be a matter of perception. When I am forced to have my Bose close to me, I perceive too much bass, but when checking the room out, and asking people, I find the eq fine. That addesses the muddy problem, but unless you are playing guitar, how can you be sharp with a KMA?

I don't John meant that the pitch was sharp, but rather the tone/EQ was perhaps too bright.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#504997 - 02/22/22 02:03 PM Re: EQ Old Ears [Re: zuki]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I lost my right ear about 5 years ago. On the band stan my right ear faced the band – same for tuning a piano. My left ear is still holding. Yes, we lose the high notes as we age. Two years ago, I gave up tuning.

Gary, I do consider myself fortunate in many way. I still drive my car, go shopping, attend meetings, and lead classes. But, thnaks.

Now let’s get back to my original post; I posted the reason (question) for my post poorly.

1-If I set the EQ to what I am listening to, it will sound sharp/bright to the good ears.
2-If they, the good ears, set it, it will sound muddy.
My question is: How are others players on this forum handling this. (if it’s possible) Opinions??????
Thanks, John C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online