SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#504347 - 11/23/21 01:30 AM Is A Mixer Always Necessary ?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have two events coming up that my Ketron SD40, controller kb, mic, and Bose compact will do nicely. I am not sure if a mixer would would give me more headroom, if needed. I normally run the module at 1:00 and Bose at 12:00. These are restaurants with about 50 guests.

#504348 - 11/23/21 04:34 AM Re: Is A Mixer Always Necessary ? [Re: Bernie9]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
you should not need a mixer. you have plenty of headroom for you people.
MEL

#504350 - 11/23/21 07:12 AM Re: Is A Mixer Always Necessary ? [Re: Bernie9]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I think if you have enough inputs on the Bose , then no. I don't know the controls on the Bose but if it has a Master Volume run it wide open and adjust from the channel controls or your keyboard. Don't limit the amps headroom.

#504351 - 11/23/21 08:15 AM Re: Is A Mixer Always Necessary ? [Re: organgrinder]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Another opinion:
Not all rooms are the same.

1-The Mic. import in the Bose sounds for good voice.
2-The second does not give you control of bass and treble.

Using a mixer:
One channel for voice and one for the keyboard.
1-Voice channel --- you control Bass, treble, some have mid-range, volume, and reverb. Bose also has Bass and treble for the voice, but the mixer is in reach.
2-Instrument channel --- Has Bass and treble.
Voice channel Pan to the left Instrument channel to the right.
Now you are prepared for whatever. I bought a small quality mixer.
Why not?
John C.
[u][/u]

#504352 - 11/23/21 08:41 AM Re: Is A Mixer Always Necessary ? [Re: Bernie9]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
don't forget, the bose does not have effects for mic or insturment inputs.
MEL

#504353 - 11/23/21 08:57 AM Re: Is A Mixer Always Necessary ? [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Thanks guys, but the SD40 can easily handle effects and eq incl mic. The only question I have is volume on SD40 and/or Bose. Bill, are you saying to increase the Bose volume first, rather than the SD40?

The reason I ask is that on my Spacestation, it say keyboard first and amp last. I have no idea, just asking.

#504354 - 11/23/21 12:28 PM Re: Is A Mixer Always Necessary ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bernie9 Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
I think if you have enough inputs on the Bose , then no. I don't know the controls on the Bose but if it has a Master Volume run it wide open and adjust from the channel controls or your keyboard. Don't limit the amps headroom.

Thank you Bill. I tried your suggestion, and as you say, I have plenty of headroom. and great response with no distortion at all.

Bernie

#504355 - 11/23/21 01:28 PM Re: Is A Mixer Always Necessary ? [Re: Bernie9]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bernie, I have not used a mixer for the last 20 years I was working, regardless of the size of the venue - it just was unnecessary. I fire my headset mic through the keyboard and used all the tools on the keyboard for effects, EQ, mic, etc... Just one more thing an OMB entertainer doesn't need. As for headroom, I rarely turned my L1 Compact above the 1-O'clock position with audiences of 80 to 100 ppl, even in a large venue. Keep in mind that unlike traditional PA systems, the falloff with the Bose L1 Compact at 50 feet is less than 10 percent, where a conventional sound system usually experiences a falloff of nearly 50 percent at 50 feet. And, of course, the Bose L1 and L1 Compact eliminated the need for an external monitor as well. Sure made my life a lot easier, especially when you are doing lots of doubles and a few triples every day of the week.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#504356 - 11/23/21 01:42 PM Re: Is A Mixer Always Necessary ? [Re: Bernie9]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I have gone direct line outs into my K10’s for a few years now. Works like a charm…

But I do carry a little mini mixer (Yamaha MG06X) in my cable case, just in case I either have someone want to sit in, or the venue wants a feed for the house, or I need something to convert to mic level from line level (which saves me from carrying a DI box as well). It’s a very versatile mixer, and allowed me to have a three piece with no extra gear (two other singers, one who played guitar).

The only issue with needing a mixer for some people is if a) your keyboard doesn’t have a mic in with EQ and effects, and b) if your PA only has XLR inputs and your keyboard only has line level 1/4” outputs and you don’t have a D/I box.

Keyboards have a fairly hot line level output, so the odds of you running into a PA that your keyboard’s volume knob was incapable of getting to full power (before distortion!) are slim to none…

So, bottom line, you don’t NEED a mixer if your keyboard has a versatile mic in. But it is handy to have a small one like mine as an audio toolbox just in case! 🎹😎

#504357 - 11/23/21 06:29 PM Re: Is A Mixer Always Necessary ? [Re: Bernie9]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By Bernie9
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

Thank you Bill. I tried your suggestion, and as you say, I have plenty of headroom. and great response with no distortion at all.

Bernie

Glad you like it Bernie. No sense limiting your amps power. High end pro amps don't use their volume controls for balance, just to bring the power up slowly when first turned on.

Edited by Bill Lewis (11/23/21 06:42 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online