SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#486219 - 01/08/20 11:31 AM Buyer Beware - mics
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Here's a PSA if you're looking at mics on ebay (and maybe elsewhere, too). There is a HUGE knockoff market that has really upped their game, and they look more authentic than ever. The 2 main brands I've noticed are Shure, and Sennheiser. If you're shopping for either of these on eBay - please take a sec and watch a few videos on how to spot a fake mic, and be sure to only buy from a legit dealer who carries the line, and OFFERS returns.

Quick points on the Sennheiser:
Unscrew the top cap - the real one has an "S" logo printed on the side of the capsule. The real one also has a ribbed black casing, not smooth, and lastly, the bottom end, where the XLR pins are located - there should be the letters "CE" printed, and a small "recycle" logo (a trash can icon with a line through it)

The fakes are lighter (weight) than the originals, and often the coloring is a bit faded. I bought 2 mics this week - both turned out to be fakes. Both took my return request immediately, and sent RA labels, so I'm not sweating it, but as the post states: BUYER BEWARE.

(The first and last pics are the fakes - middle 2 are real)

Careful, lads, and lasses!

Attachments
IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

#486236 - 01/08/20 01:57 PM Re: Buyer Beware - mics [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave, it all depends on the model. I just looked at my E-855 and none of those markings are present. I did not buy it from Ebay, I purchased it from the local music store here and knew the owner personally - it's definitely not a knock-off. At the time, it sold for nearly $500.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#486237 - 01/08/20 02:07 PM Re: Buyer Beware - mics [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA

#486312 - 01/09/20 07:43 AM Re: Buyer Beware - mics [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Dave, it all depends on the model. I just looked at my E-855 and none of those markings are present. I did not buy it from Ebay, I purchased it from the local music store here and knew the owner personally - it's definitely not a knock-off. At the time, it sold for nearly $500.

Gary cool

Gary, You're probably right - the scammers most likely targeted the more popular, mass produced models. BTW - I thought your go-to handheld was an 865?

#486360 - 01/09/20 03:15 PM Re: Buyer Beware - mics [Re: Uncle Dave]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
So curious as to how much the "fakes" cost, compared to the real deal? And did you actually try the fake mics? Was the sound quality bad enough that you knew right away?

Anyway, thanks for the alert. Scammers are everywhere.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#486363 - 01/09/20 03:24 PM Re: Buyer Beware - mics [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Jeez, remember the good ol' days when we didn't have to worry about crap like this. Now, EVERYTHING is suspect. Sad.

chas

#486392 - 01/09/20 08:27 PM Re: Buyer Beware - mics [Re: lahawk]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By lahawk
So curious as to how much the "fakes" cost, compared to the real deal? And did you actually try the fake mics? Was the sound quality bad enough that you knew right away?

The Fakes were less than 1/2 of the real deal, but marketed as "B" stock, or open box, so it seemed possible.
I bought 2 that turned out to be crap - they sounded muffled, and had no clarity compared to the big brother
Luckily, the sellers issued me return numbers right away, and they are on their way back to their SCAMMY homes as we speak. eBay does have your back as a buyer most times, in the event that the seller screws you.

#486429 - 01/10/20 06:15 AM Re: Buyer Beware - mics [Re: Uncle Dave]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.

And using PayPal on Ebay gives extra protection. Glad it worked out, and thanks again for the warning.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#486481 - 01/10/20 11:48 AM Re: Buyer Beware - mics [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Yup - I only use paypal on line ... for that very reason.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online