SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#476739 - 09/25/19 08:21 PM OT: Boatless
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
For the first time in much of my life, I am without a boat. I sold the Morgan 33 Out Island to a relatively young couple, they loved everything they saw when they inspected the boat, they had a very limited budget, but I, reluctantly, accepted their offer.

My health condition has worsened significantly, I can no longer breathe without supplemental oxygen and even with the O2, it's a real struggle. I will be 79 next month, and, unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that there are things I just can no longer do, including sail single handed, which was the case most of the time for the past decade. Most of my close friends have long since passed away, my wife has some serious health issues and could not safely access the boat, so my sailing days are over.

My loving wife of 57 years is underwent a hip replacement last Thursday and is current in rehab at a nearby facility. She is doing remarkably well and with any kind of luck, should be home in two weeks. I visit her every day at least twice, hotrodding around the halls of the center on my Jazzy to get to her room. I really miss her and wake up night wondering why she is not my my side in the bed. It's a weird felling not having her next to me.

My lung condition has worsened significantly, I can no longer sing, and this is very depressing. Ironically, Carol is rehabbing at a center that I performed at for 14 years and the AD visited her and told he that everyone there really misses me. Nice!

The last song I recorded was in May when I fired up the S-950 and created backing tracks using the fast jazz style, slowed it down, then spent nearly a week putting it all together. I dedicated this song to my daughter Laura. She said it brought tears to her eyes. Laura

I'm not dead yet, but a lot closer to death's door,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (09/25/19 08:25 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#476740 - 09/25/19 08:51 PM Re: OT: Boatless [Re: travlin'easy]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hang in there Gary, we all miss you. Beautiful song for, no doubt, a wonderful lady , if she’s anything like her dad.

Remarkable what they can do nowadays with hip and knee replacements. My friend had her first hip replacement at about age 35. Back in the 80’s , knocked her about for a while. Had to have it redone a few years back, she was up and about in no time.

So sorry to hear about your lungs getting worse.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#476741 - 09/25/19 08:52 PM Re: OT: Boatless [Re: travlin'easy]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Gary,
I am so saddened by your post tonight. I downloaded "Laura" - it is really good. I want to go on record here to tell you how much of an influence you have been on me and how much you have helped me learn about Arranger keyboards. I hope all the people on the forums you use know about you and how much you have done to help others in their search to become better players and performing musicians.

I know you will miss sailing - but something else will surely come along for you to fill your days. Like you ,I have been married 57 years and can not imagine being alone without my wife for any length of time. I wish you and your wife well and will make sure you both are included in my prayers. Thank you Gary for all you have done!

Deane

#476751 - 09/26/19 02:26 AM Re: OT: Boatless [Re: travlin'easy]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Nice to see you here, Gary;

Your song is a really good work; thank you for sharing!

Sorry that you have to deal with some many challenges. I guess, life is a soft of a test, although I’m not a religious person, I believe that any result counts.

Surely, regardless of what you say, I believe that you are going to be well and stay with us forever; reading your meaningful messages I picture a healthy person, who’s older than me, but still young.

Today, even not being religious, it’s easy to picture that a body is just like a flash drive, and a soul is like data, which can be uploaded into a cloud. While such services like Google are capable to keep practically all the internet inside, it’s also easier to picture some “heaven” which can actually work.

In the end, we are all afraid of changes because we never know how it’s going to work out, but afterwards we are happy that we turned to a next page/chapter.

Nowadays I’m not sure if I value music more than words; I see that when it’s used properly, words can play a very important part. I always enjoy reading your words; and I’m aware that you actually worked as a journalist, so I believe that even with no boat or singing you still have this amazing power of a word and there’s still a lot of difference that you can make here or on psrtutorial; and not only when it comes to keyboards but on every aspect of life.

#476755 - 09/26/19 03:16 AM Re: OT: Boatless [Re: travlin'easy]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi Gary,
After such an eloquent post, I am not sure I can contribute, but I will try.
Recently I was required to undergo a driving test to determine if I was safe to be on the road, (I'm only 85).
You can now refer to me as "008, LICENSE TO KILL" , I passed ,and am now free for 2 years to cause havoc on the freeway,(like you were on the waterway, just another chapter in our diary.
No doubt you enjoyed your time on the water, but we all must move on. Spoil your lady when she gets back home, spend time in your lovely surroundings, and reflect on all that you have achieved in life, which is considerable,and you will reap the most satisfying rewards you deserve.

Ray dance

Keep dancing

#476756 - 09/26/19 04:57 AM Re: OT: Boatless [Re: Kabinopus]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Gary, like you I am on the last road home., we all get there. One of our friends here on SZ wrote: “The older I get, the more I realize how good I was”. It’s a new season, I surround myself with the thoughts of what I have done, my accomplishments. It’s time to reflect, and it is a source of joy –Look at what little me has done, I am well pleased.

There are many who are not able to reach the height of giving and helping; of sharing, of the many good experiences you had in your music career, you have been given a gift. Now is the time for enjoying what you have accomplished, throw all negatives behind you, your health is what it is.

Spend some time reviewing and sharing again some of your best accomplishments. Share that with your friends here on SZ.

Gary what was your best accomplishment?
Take care my friend, John C.

PS, Kabinopus I like what you have posted, NICE!

#476757 - 09/26/19 05:01 AM Re: OT: Boatless [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hey Gary, I’m so sorry to hear about your setbacks. I’m glad to hear from you though, and really enjoyed your rendition of “Laura” It sounds like you put a lot work and thought into your excellent arrangement. That’s so lovely that your daughter was so moved by her dad’s music. Hang in there my friend.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#476761 - 09/26/19 05:36 AM Re: OT: Boatless [Re: travlin'easy]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Been missing your posts, Gary:

Sorry 'bout the boat... but maintenance and storage are on-going expenses and time consumers. I know your health is a real drag these days and you are doing what needs to be done. It's always good to hear from you... so, hang in there and stay with us 'cause you are so important to this group.

#476764 - 09/26/19 06:49 AM Re: OT: Boatless [Re: Riceroni9]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Thanks for updating everybody Gary. And I really appreciate our recent conversation.
I remember what it felt like when I had to give up music 7 years ago. Sold instruments, audio equipment, everything. Left a big hole in what was a lifetime activity. Fortunately I was able to return to it 4-5 years later but not with the same strength, depth, or success. My point is I know the feeling of giving in to your limitations and giving up what you must at times.
At this point it is obviously about what you can do. Stay in touch with your friends here, and don't be afraid to ask for help. You've given enough to everyone here.

#476768 - 09/26/19 07:46 AM Re: OT: Boatless [Re: sparky589]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary, you and Carol are in our prayers ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online