SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#474827 - 08/22/19 03:11 AM Are Audio Drums being done away with?
DannyUK Offline

So it seems that Yamaha have dropped the Audio Drums/Styles, and I think I am right in saying that Korg never even bothered?

Not sure if Ketron are still using them either.

So do you think that eventually they will be a thing of the past maybe? Was it all a waste of time?

#474829 - 08/22/19 05:04 AM Re: Are Audio Drums being done away with? [Re: DannyUK]
Crossover Offline

I have always thought that midi drums which are recorded from a professional drummer playing on a midi drum set are equally realistic and editable in contrast to audio drums. So, maybe manufacturers are working on making midi styles more dynamic and realistic in this way.

#474831 - 08/22/19 07:17 AM Re: Are Audio Drums being done away with? [Re: DannyUK]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Yes, I think many KB players prefer to be able to edit the drums if they want to. I do like the audio drums though, even a professional drummer/percussionist can not capture all the nuances of the instrument on a midi drum set.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#474833 - 08/22/19 07:44 AM Re: Are Audio Drums being done away with? [Re: DannyUK]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The new Yamahas will still play them, but don't include any from the factory. There are packs available for sale, and free.
Ketron still uses them, along with audio guitars.

#474836 - 08/22/19 08:16 AM Re: Are Audio Drums being done away with? [Re: DannyUK]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
As a die-hard MIDI guy who likes to edit and customize things, I'm glad to see them go. Good riddance!!

#474837 - 08/22/19 10:18 AM Re: Are Audio Drums being done away with? [Re: DannyUK]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I think there is a Genos demonstration by Peter Baartmans where he comments that the Revo drums are so good that they don't need audio drum tracks to get a high level of realism.

#474839 - 08/22/19 10:25 AM Re: Are Audio Drums being done away with? [Re: DannyUK]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Still going strong in both Ketron & Wersi instruments which have had them for about 19 years now.

Bill

#474843 - 08/22/19 11:34 AM Re: Are Audio Drums being done away with? [Re: DannyUK]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
In reality midi drums are more than good enough for me .. and you can edit velocity and instruments to suit your taste. Here is a sound and style demo.. What do you think? Should I keep the drummer (No edits).

https://app.box.com/s/y052kxk7kujtbjdu1kmpu8exgwpthzih

#474846 - 08/22/19 12:28 PM Re: Are Audio Drums being done away with? [Re: TedS]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By TedS
As a die-hard MIDI guy who likes to edit and customize things, I'm glad to see them go. Good riddance!!

Well, audiodrums can be fun with the right (daw) tools..
But as implemented b y Yamaha they where the opposite of what they tried to archieve
Looping A static recording can never sound like live played drums..

The impleme tation of audio drums on korg is much smarter
Where you load an audio drum, slice it up, and you can play with it..

Audio drums will stick with yamaha for a long time
They just will not make new content for it(or allow users to easilly create content for them)
And this is not the first time yamaha does this, recently with deejay styles but also free play styles, they have not seen new content for quite some time now..

http://keyszone.boards.net

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online