Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#467896 - 03/27/19 09:16 AM Guitar players ... check it out
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY

Attachments
pedalboard in use.jpg (173 downloads)

#467897 - 03/27/19 09:27 AM Re: Guitar players ... check it out [Re: Uncle Dave]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Wowzer, U.D. - That thing looks like you "took it" while NASA wasn't looking! LOL! I hope it accomplishes everything you want in a techno-guitar-whatchamacallit! You are a pioneering wonder and such a talent. I'm hoping you are going to play something for us in the near future.

All the best, ----West Mayberry Dave

#467899 - 03/27/19 09:49 AM Re: Guitar players ... check it out [Re: Riceroni9]
Dnj Offline

Great looking setup,good luck with it,
...but personally I rather see you playing
your arranger KB and singing great vocal leads & harmonies.
You were made for that in so many ways imo. keys
Maybe that is what I'm used to seeing you perform with who knows frown
..why the switch now to guitar?

Edited by Dnj (03/27/19 10:11 AM)

#467904 - 03/27/19 10:39 AM Re: Guitar players ... check it out [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

MADE for playing arrangers? I hardly think so. In fact, I think I was the happiest when I had my Rhodes, Moog Bass, Synth du jour, and Drum machine. It's just easier and neater now that they're all in one box. I still use the kb pretty often, and I record with it a lot, but guitar adds a different "attitude" to my arrangements. Most major themes, or holidays suggest that I have the keys ready, but regular nights are just not that specific. I still sing great songs and add live harmonies, too. The arranger styles are wonderful, in their own right, but there's an energy that comes from strumming a guitar, and playing little fill-ins that give the song some extra pizazz. I've prerecorded many arranger styles (just drums) so I can adlib over them, but in today's ever changing market, many of us are heavily track/seq reliant, so the live guitar adds more realism than a digital tone from my kb.

Typical night at my club starts with a mellow-ish first set on guitar, no tracks, no rhythm
Gradually, the energy rises, requests determine the direction to go, and I make the necessary modifications to my presentation. Our place has many quest singers that rely on words, or their own tracks, so I always have Karafun loaded, and a DJ mixer with dual CDs, and dual USB drives available to help them do their thing. Occasionally, a guest will ask for straight guitar chords, or even pick up the axe themselves (with my permission, of course) but typically, singers just want to hear the song in its organic form, with large words, with which they can follow along.

If I happen to have the KB setup on any given night - the only thing that changes is the first, mellow set, and then, it's more jazzy than folksy. The results, and more importantly, THE PAY remain the same. The crowd never seems to mind the choice of tool I make for any given show. After all ... my main tools are my voice, and my song selections. How I accompany myself is just gravy. (not SAUCE) It's a balancing act every night, but I am always, always, always performing from the heart, and pleasing the audience is my number one objective.

Am I a KJ? Sometimes.
Am I a DJ? Sometimes.
Am I live? ALWAYS.
Am I any ONE thing? Never
Am I willing to do "whatever it takes" to keep the music alive? You betcha.
Am I happy? ... Mostly. (Depends on the day, place, and company)

#467906 - 03/27/19 10:52 AM Re: Guitar players ... check it out [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Ok Thanks for the in-depth explanation....
Your such a chameleon ... cool2

Edited by Dnj (03/27/19 12:11 PM)

#467907 - 03/27/19 11:41 AM Re: Guitar players ... check it out [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
"using all the tools" ... just sayin' wink

#467908 - 03/27/19 12:45 PM Re: Guitar players ... check it out [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Ok Thanks for the in-depth explanation....
Your such a chameleon ... cool2

First off .. it's "You're" (just sayin')
smile
Secondly, Throughout my career, I've been a frontman, hornman, bassist, drummer, guitarist, keyboardist, percussionist, conductor, soundman, and producer of the variety of shows I've done, so why is it such a stretch to think that I'd settle for just using one tool? I've enjoyed each role at the time I was performing in that function. Playing bass in the 70s, and 80s was probably my favorite time. Bass is just such a sassy expression of oneself. I love it all, and I think you meant the chameleon comment as a compliment, so, thanks, but I don't think of myself as a changing entity, as much as an adaptable one. I'm not hiding behind technology ... I'm embracing it. Somedays I feel like Batman, with all the cool toys, and other days I'm more like Robin ... just along for the ride. The music and the crowd tell me what to do next. If you listen to your audience ... they're pretty cool that way.

You can be proud of the work you've done on stage, and in your home. If it's time to sit back, and slow down ... enjoy it. You've earned the right to make that choice.
Sowing down is going to have to be forced upon me. I'm just too excited to NOT do this. I feel like a teenager when I'm on stage ... aches, pains, bald head and all.
Now ... off to Florence NJ for happy hour!
smile

#467910 - 03/27/19 02:48 PM Re: Guitar players ... check it out [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
I feel like a teenager when I'm on stage ... aches, pains, bald head and all.
smile

I'm right with you on that Uncle Dave, and I've got a few years on you ... even the pains disappear for a while .... only problem is if someone takes a photo or video of me while I'm performing, I just don't FEEL like the guy I see ... grin
rocker

#467911 - 03/27/19 03:47 PM Re: Guitar players ... check it out [Re: Uncle Dave]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Impressive setup. I've heard some clips of you and you do a great job.

#467912 - 03/27/19 03:52 PM Re: Guitar players ... check it out [Re: tony mads usa]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Very cool set up and T5 UD.
I have a Taylor 414ce ... Love it laugh
Did you see the new Fender Acoustasonic Telecaster?
Little different approach, but I think still cool.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online