SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#424223 - 08/04/16 05:10 AM Casio MZX-firmware 1.30 is out.
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Firmware 1.30 was released. According to spec/data list, it's a major one. My MZX-500 is updating right now, will post later on results. The data list is impressive. If it all works has yet to be seen.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#424226 - 08/04/16 05:17 AM Re: Casio MZX-firmware 1.30 is out. [Re: squeak_D]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: squeak_D
Firmware 1.30 was released. According to spec/data list, it's a major one. My MZX-500 is updating right now, will post later on results. The data list is impressive. If it all works has yet to be seen.

Squeak great news....cant wait to hear your new review on it...
good luck!

#424238 - 08/04/16 07:27 AM Re: Casio MZX-firmware 1.30 is out. UPDATED [Re: squeak_D]
squeak_D Offline

Sorry to report that my update to v1.30 has very disappointing results. After the update (proper restart of system ect), I went straight to the pattern sequencer. Nothing but problems. I first discovered an operational oversight (not really a game breaking bug, but logically isn't really how it should be). When copying any data (while in pattern mode) be it element or part data. Logically your source data should match the current pattern you are working on. This is not the case. When attempting these edits the source data will require you to select the current pattern (odd huh?). Here's the kicker though. When recording a pattern (again logically) you should be able to simply record your initial variation, copy said parts, and continue your work. Here's the problem. After you record your first variation, you must immediately save that to a user location. Why..., well because of the previous operational oversight mentioned, if you don't do this your current pattern will not be available for "source data". Crazy isn't it.

It gets better. While trying to edit a pattern, my screen goes completely black, I lose sound, and complete panel control. Board was utterly frozen! Required hard reboot. After hard reboot.., my pattern sequencer is broken. Any attempts to do element copy results in a complete lock up requiring a hard reboot. Happened three times in a row. Initiated a full factory restore, and it still locks up. Not good...

I don't understand how Casio puts out these updates and misses glaring problems. I hit the wall with errors within three minutes after updating. For Pete's sake.., why don't they send firmware updates out to be beta tested by a few consumers first.

Edited by squeak_D (08/04/16 07:33 AM)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#424243 - 08/04/16 10:05 AM Re: Casio MZX-firmware 1.30 is out. UPDATED [Re: squeak_D]
Dnj Offline

sorry to hear all that Squeak I hope something can be done...

#424244 - 08/04/16 11:43 AM Re: Casio MZX-firmware 1.30 is out. UPDATED [Re: squeak_D]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Wow squeak you deserve some kind of medal for your patience ! It's been said before ....this is really poor business .

#424258 - 08/04/16 05:29 PM Re: Casio MZX-firmware 1.30 is out. [Re: squeak_D]
squeak_D Offline

Another owner confirmed the same problem. It's very frustrating for me though. Sure.., some of the other new features and fixes work, but this is an "arranger". IMO a very critical area of this board is the ability to customize and create styles. I know some don't take advantage of that feature, but I like writing my own styles. I have owned the MZX for months.., and with two firmware updates since release, I have yet to be able to actually complete a style from start to finish.

#424284 - 08/05/16 06:58 AM Re: Casio MZX-firmware 1.30 is out. [Re: squeak_D]
Dnj Offline

I remember all the hoopla and excitement just a few short months ago when this unit was hitting the markets,.....star wars demo, etc, etc, ......only now to hear this depressing news on the updates...I hope Casio get their act together for the players who have these units and make this right for them. How do they expect to become a player once again in this market with service like this..it always leaves a bad taste in peoples minds....

Good Luck

#424285 - 08/05/16 07:14 AM Re: Casio MZX-firmware 1.30 is out. [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
I remember all the hoopla and excitement just a few short months ago when this unit was hitting the markets,.....star wars demo, etc, etc, ......only now to hear this depressing news on the updates...I hope Casio get their act together for the players who have these units and make this right for them. How do they expect to become a player once again in this market with service like this..it always leaves a bad taste in peoples minds....

Good Luck

It could be an incident...

The PX-5S playerbase boast Casio for their reliabillity and support by Mike Martin. PX5S is their professional model stage piano...

However after wayting for a patch since April, i can understand the outrage of certain people for not delivering... and espescially not communicating..

Sure Mike Martin is golden for helping out people, tough he never gives any real indications of developer feedback from Japan.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#425128 - 08/22/16 04:08 PM Re: Casio MZX-firmware 1.30 is out. [Re: squeak_D]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
What about the casio styles.
Are they interesting?
Maybe I will add the Casio Style Format to vArranger too

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#425138 - 08/22/16 09:25 PM Re: Casio MZX-firmware 1.30 is out. [Re: DAN.2000]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: DAN.2000
What about the casio styles.
Are they interesting?
Maybe I will add the Casio Style Format to vArranger too

To me they are a let down, medicore at best even when compared to Yamaha... Most arrangements are kind of dull.

The strongest points of the MZX are the midi phrases you can trigger from the pads on top of a styles...

The only reason i can think of why adding support for Casio styles would be a good thingis to make the Varranger an even more complete unit. However i think i could name dozens more important features to spend development time on then Casio style support.

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online