SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#390027 - 06/25/14 06:06 AM Another video: Blame It On The Bossa Nova
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Another video … me playing "Blame It On The Bossa Nova" on the Tyros 5. I tried a different angle this time, but I forgot to turn on the extra video light! Oh well! (All my videos are in HD so it you click the YouTube settings you can see them in higher-quality mode (and go full-screen etc.)

This is one song where I like having the extra keyboard to get that organ sound really quickly!

#390028 - 06/25/14 06:32 AM Re: Another video: Blame It On The Bossa Nova [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

IMO for your style of playing the OTS "LINK" with a pedal would work much more efficiently,....just sayin'.....otherwise great old tune. keys

#390030 - 06/25/14 06:48 AM Re: Another video: Blame It On The Bossa Nova [Re: Dnj]
jimlaing Offline

Would I be able to go "back and forth" using OTS and a pedal? That is, I switch quickly from piano to organ to piano to organ to piano to organ (etc.) … maybe I'd need two pedals ("OTS down" and "OTS up")? Just curious how it might work … ?

Thanks,
jim

#390032 - 06/25/14 07:11 AM Re: Another video: Blame It On The Bossa Nova [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

You can assign two pedals to go up or down as the OTS sound "LINK" would be assigned to your variations, or setup different registration for ONE Song with different sounds too, .....
or you can assign 4 different sounds to OTS within the song registrations and switch instantly with your finger pushing a button without disturbing your variation..there are so many options.

Edited by Dnj (06/25/14 07:12 AM)

#390035 - 06/25/14 07:52 AM Re: Another video: Blame It On The Bossa Nova [Re: jimlaing]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Gotta agree with Donny on this one - the song is a great oldie that I perform once in a while, but there are very easy ways to access the voice changes without adding another keyboard.

Jim, I assume that you are synching the video with the keyboard's onboard recorder, which seems to be the way to go - flawless vids.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#390051 - 06/25/14 11:54 AM Re: Another video: Blame It On The Bossa Nova [Re: jimlaing]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Not an arranger but may give you some additional ideas, the pre-sets are controlled by one of the footswitches and he also uses multiple splits on the keyboards as well as bass pedals to play the bass.

Keep up the good work.

Bill

#390060 - 06/25/14 02:37 PM Re: Another video: Blame It On The Bossa Nova [Re: abacus]
jimlaing Offline

Hi - interesting … in the Wersi video, the player is using two keyboards and moving his hand from upper to lower quickly - just like I am using two keyboards, in similar ways in this song. (He has two 5-octave ones, whereas I only have one 5 octave and one 2 octave keyboard).

Yes, I realize there are other ways to achieve what I'm doing with the extra keyboard - it's mainly a personal preference. I just like to have the additional keyboard - it was inexpensive, I can set it up in 1 minute, and I can make fast sound changes at will w/o having to press any buttons or pedals. Also, I have all 3 of my pedals assigned and use them regularly (one is SUSTAIN (damper) , next is FILL IN, next is Leslie Slow/Fast). I know that I can have the pedals be different for different songs, but I like having them set to these 3 functions, so I always know what I'm getting when I press any pedal.

So, thanks for the ideas on using pedals and OTS … that's definitely another good way to achieve quick sound changes. I just happen to like the simplicity and convenience of having this extra little keyboard on my rig …

Jim

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online