SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#373152 - 10/18/13 03:17 PM Playing for Family
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
This was touched on in Donny's piano thread. I would ask everyone- do you feel obligated to say "yes" when asked to play at the family picnic, bar-b-que, birthday, or anniversary party? And was it different for you as a child rather than an adult who considers it work and would rather enjoy themselves at these gatherings? And what are some creative ways you have said "no" as not to insult??

#373153 - 10/18/13 03:38 PM Re: Playing for Family [Re: sparky589]
Dnj Offline

As long as I wasn't booked somewhere else I always played for family functions, I will NEVER cancel one job for another, that is suicide for a pro musician family or otherwise,........to have them pay for someone else is not my style when I can do it myself if available, and that gives me great pleasure.

#373156 - 10/18/13 04:02 PM Re: Playing for Family [Re: Dnj]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Tough call Sparky, but not for me. I learned music from family functions. At all of our frequent family gatherings, my uncles always provided music, it was a given (my dad was from a family of 16 and my mom 10) No one had any kind of formal music education, but it __ was __ fun. I wouldn't consider turning down a request to play for my family.
Like my uncles, I may be short on formal music ed, but I have fun (especially when I get paid to play ...)
Ciao,
Jerry

#373157 - 10/18/13 04:36 PM Re: Playing for Family [Re: sparky589]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When requested, and if I'm not booked elsewhere, I always play at family functions. Like Donny, I would never cancel one job to take another - THAT IS SUICIDE in this business.

This Sunday, I have to play at a memorial service for a dear, departed friend. I will only be playing two songs, Taps and Amazing Grace, per family request.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#373158 - 10/18/13 04:51 PM Re: Playing for Family [Re: sparky589]
montunoman Online   content

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I like playing for family functions and never consider charging or accepting money. I play at my church's carnival and a non profit nursing home that is run by nuns. They took care of my mother in law in a moment of need and my wife and I will forever be greatfull. I do have to decline offers from "friends" parties from time to time. I politely tell them I'm already booked, even if I'm "booked" to play in my living room or a date night with my wife.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#373160 - 10/18/13 05:44 PM Re: Playing for Family [Re: sparky589]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Paul, a date nite with the wife is always the same as booked. I know, I've been married all my life. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#373169 - 10/19/13 07:39 AM Re: Playing for Family [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Only a previous booking would prevent me from playing at a family or friend's gathering ... first of all, God has given me a talent to SHARE with others ... secondly, I was raised with music at family gatherings all my life, and unfortunately, I do not think there is enough of it today ... and thirdly, I am a 'ham' who loves to perform for just about anyone, anytime ...
keys

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online