SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#368233 - 06/28/13 12:12 PM Arrangers sales are not dying! (here)
shim Offline

Loc: USA
(From a different post): http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/368061/5

Guys all I got to say is this: Where I come from, (and I am probably the youngest member here...) Arrangers are being bought and used all the time. Both by kids (yes, youngsters) and pro's and it (one man band) is a very profitable business here.

The reason i'm the only one here saying this is because all those guys in my area don't post on this forum. They probably couldn't care less about it any way. They get their way around arrangers very quick and have tons of friends who can help if they have a problem.

May I add also that we here don't care about the styles ANY keyboard comes with, because we almost all use custom made styles. We don't buy a keyboard based on the styles it has, but on the usability.

I don't mean to offend anyone here, quite the contrary, all i'm trying to say is that the arranger business is NOT DEAD, NOR WILL IT BE FOR QUITE A WHILE. Even for the young guys.

"Reporting from Brooklyn"...

#368249 - 06/28/13 02:27 PM Re: Arrangers sales are not dying! (here) [Re: shim]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Shim,

I agree that arrangers will be around for quite a while, and I'm fairly confident I'll be long gone before the use of arranger keyboards fades into antiquity.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#368251 - 06/28/13 03:26 PM Re: Arrangers sales are not dying! (here) [Re: shim]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Gary, you've been dead for three years now, but nobody has the nerve to tell you!
DonM

#368261 - 06/28/13 04:28 PM Re: Arrangers sales are not dying! (here) [Re: shim]
travlin'easy Offline

And all this time I thought it just my deodorant had failed. wink Guess it's kinda like Weekend At Bernie's - Carol just props me up behind the keyboard, puts on an old CD of me singing and playing, turns the lights down low and nobody knows the difference. eek

Gary cool

#368263 - 06/28/13 05:00 PM Re: Arrangers sales are not dying! (here) [Re: shim]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
What type of music do u play ?

What is the medium age of your customers ?

Do you mainly use styles or SMF/Mp3?

Do you play ethnic music (including latin) or Us/UK music?

Is your customers Americans or 1st -2nd gen immigrants?

Do you play alone or with others?(gtr duo?) etc.

#368264 - 06/28/13 05:06 PM Re: Arrangers sales are not dying! (here) [Re: shim]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By: shim
(From a different post): http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/368061/5

Guys all I got to say is this: Where I come from, (and I am probably the youngest member here...) Arrangers are being bought and used all the time. Both by kids (yes, youngsters) and pro's and it (one man band) is a very profitable business here.

The reason i'm the only one here saying this is because all those guys in my area don't post on this forum. They probably couldn't care less about it any way. They get their way around arrangers very quick and have tons of friends who can help if they have a problem.

May I add also that we here don't care about the styles ANY keyboard comes with, because we almost all use custom made styles. We don't buy a keyboard based on the styles it has, but on the usability.

I don't mean to offend anyone here, quite the contrary, all i'm trying to say is that the arranger business is NOT DEAD, NOR WILL IT BE FOR QUITE A WHILE. Even for the young guys.

Is your customers Americans or 1st -2nd gen immigrants?(mid east/ EU /Asia /south America ,etc)

Edited by jamman (06/28/13 05:15 PM)

#368265 - 06/28/13 06:33 PM Re: Arrangers sales are not dying! (here) [Re: shim]
travlin'easy Offline

Only music that people can dance to.

60 to 65

Styles, a few SMF and NO MP3s.

Latin, Italian, U.S., and I sing about a dozen songs in Spanish and another dozen in Italian.

Is your customers Americans or 1st -2nd gen immigrants?(mid east/ EU /Asia /south America ,etc)

I mix of all, but very few Asians and Middle Easterners. I'm playing a Polish birthday party tomorrow evening, and there will even be a few crazy Russians there.

Alone, arranger keyboard - I need the money, and I'm too cheap to split the profits with anyone else.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#368268 - 06/28/13 08:29 PM Re: Arrangers sales are not dying! (here) [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Gary...no MP3;s?

You just came back from the Tiki bar scene...No one requested Cupid shuffle or Cha Cha slide?

I can play the Cha Cha slide, but no where as good as the MP3..

Same with the Electric slide (original)

How about God bless American..the Kate version...surely life would be easier if you played some MP3's..

Star Spangled banner is another..

#368274 - 06/28/13 10:43 PM Re: Arrangers sales are not dying! (here) [Re: shim]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
They are still making 'home organs'. Doesn't mean that essentially, the form isn't dead.

Be interesting to hear from a pro retailer that sells both arrangers and WS's, stage keyboards, pianos and synths, see what the numbers are. If you restrict the numbers to arrangers that sit in the same price range as decent MOTL WS's etc., and don't count the 'toy' ones, it's going to be a sobering figure, I would expect.

Walk into most music stores. Try to even FIND a good selection of different MOTL arrangers. Best of luck. Dress it up all you like, if arrangers are selling comparatively to WS's and stage keyboards, why the hell doesn't hardly anyone stock them? Racks and racks of Motif's, Fantom's, Krone's and Kronos's, Nords, Juno's, you name it.

Sorry, shim, but the facts don't bear out your impression. Sure, there ARE kids using them. There are kids playing home organs too. Doesn't mean that the majority are...

#368280 - 06/29/13 06:08 AM Re: Arrangers sales are not dying! (here) [Re: shim]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By: shim

Shim

I'd also like to know more about the business in Brooklyn. I'm from north Jersey and when there was probably the only arranger player I knew of. Along with it I had to do a lot of DJing to get through the gigs. Down here in South Jersey its Kareoke wonderland. Went out last night to the Elks club and they had a two guys (sorry but I can't call them a band) One guy played a little guitar and the other guy sang. Not a bad singer but the MP3's backups sounded like they just did a voice cancel on the original recordings. Sounded totally fake to the point I wondered why not just have the jukebox on. And thats all over down here. Real music and even arranger players are hard to find.
So please enlighten us as to the music scene in your area and why do you think its different.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online