SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#353679 - 10/29/12 07:57 AM (OT) Music Pad Pro Questions...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Hey guys-

With Freehand belly up, I'm curious if anyone has had any luck having their MPP serviced by a local computer repair shop?

My MPP is having issues booting up after I press the power button. Sometimes it loads right away and then I'm problem free, but more and more often lately the start-up process fails, and I'm left with a black screen. Sometimes I've had to try upwards of 6-8 times before it completes the boot up. Once its up, the unit works fine.

Does anyone know what sort of operating system this unit uses?

Thanks in advance...

#353691 - 10/29/12 09:27 AM Re: (OT) Music Pad Pro Questions... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Bill,

I can't be much help since my MPP still boots up under a wall outlet with live power. I always figured the day would come when I'd have a problem like your experiencing. Bottom line I used the MPP software to convert many of my MPP files to PDF. I got myself an iPad and the unReal Book, then loaded up the thousands of PDF sheets and never looked back, I haven't used the MPP in 2 years. You may want to consider getting yourself an iPad 2 16 gig wifi Although smaller than the MPP the advantange of it's smaller size, weight and superior battery life make it a real great tool.

#353715 - 10/29/12 01:40 PM Re: (OT) Music Pad Pro Questions... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I believe the MPP uses Linux as the basic operating system. I have several MPP's. I lend them to students, and put their stuff on USB drives rather than paper. Works great for me. I think you may be better off buying a used unit, Bill, rather than trying to get one fixed. I got the last one for $175 from eBay. I have never had a MPP failure, and they get rough treatment.

The iPad works great if you don't need to read the actual dots and only need lyrics and chord symbols. I tried to use an iPad and it was too small for me to see the dots . . .

#353739 - 10/30/12 04:02 AM Re: (OT) Music Pad Pro Questions... [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Originally Posted By: Bob Hendershot
I believe the MPP uses Linux as the basic operating system. I have several MPP's. I lend them to students, and put their stuff on USB drives rather than paper. Works great for me. I think you may be better off buying a used unit, Bill, rather than trying to get one fixed. I got the last one for $175 from eBay. I have never had a MPP failure, and they get rough treatment.

The iPad works great if you don't need to read the actual dots and only need lyrics and chord symbols. I tried to use an iPad and it was too small for me to see the dots . . .

Bob-

I have the first version MPP. If I purchased a 2nd version of the MPP, the upgraded one, would it still read my files generated from the 1st version software? Are they compatible?

Thanks for the responses, guys...

#353748 - 10/30/12 11:01 AM Re: (OT) Music Pad Pro Questions... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

I assume you are talking about a version 3 MPP. There were earlier lower resolution units that were almost useless. A version 4 machine can load version 3 stuff. But, anything saved with the version 4 machine will not load into the older unit. If you have any problems, I can convert anything you need. You would be much better off with a version 4 unit.

Yesterday I bought another MPP for $150 plus $15 shipping. There are several on eBay but you need to be cautious about which one you buy. I saw one that was not fully functional.

#353768 - 10/30/12 04:26 PM Re: (OT) Music Pad Pro Questions... [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Hi Bob-

I just checked mu software & it says the software is version 3.1.5

I looked around Ebay last night as you suggested, and I saw a unit for around $150. From what I could tell, it didn't include the software, so I wanted to make sure the software for the older model will work to add scanned music to a newer model.

It sounds like to me picking up a newer model via Ebay should work well for me. I can load my thumb drive from the older model into the newer one and be up and running.

Anything I might not be thinking of?

Thanks for your help with this...Its appreciated...

#353769 - 10/30/12 04:53 PM Re: (OT) Music Pad Pro Questions... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Bill,

Let me play the devil's advocate here, why keep spending on old technology? Sooner or later you won't be able to find an MPP that works then you'll be back where you are today. iPad is the way to go, there's half dozen other SZ members who have gone the iPad route, Miden, Scott Yee, Mikey Maestro I don't remember all the other names but you won't be alone. Scott Yee went from the MPP to the iPad as well. The flexibility of creating play lists on the fly with unReal book on the iPad is so much more advanced than the MPP. I have a library of thousands of songs, with unReal book I can do a search and within seconds my chosen sheet is in front of me. Great for requests

I guess vision would play into the equation, I don't have the greatest set of eyes and can still see the dots.

#353773 - 10/30/12 05:51 PM Re: (OT) Music Pad Pro Questions... [Re: Stephenm52]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Stephenm52
Bill,

Let me play the devil's advocate here, why keep spending on old technology? Sooner or later you won't be able to find an MPP that works then you'll be back where you are today. iPad is the way to go, there's half dozen other SZ members who have gone the iPad route, Miden, Scott Yee, Mikey Maestro I don't remember all the other names but you won't be alone. Scott Yee went from the MPP to the iPad as well. The flexibility of creating play lists on the fly with unReal book on the iPad is so much more advanced than the MPP. I have a library of thousands of songs, with unReal book I can do a search and within seconds my chosen sheet is in front of me. Great for requests

I guess vision would play into the equation, I don't have the greatest set of eyes and can still see the dots.

I cannot recommend and totally endorse Stephens' comments strongly enough - your defunct and soon to be the way of the dodo MPP, is telling you something....

the iPad is the ONLY way to go (and I even tried an android as well!!). Plus I am, like most here, a former MPP owner.

Even an iPad 1 with a slightly older version of UB will be so much better than the BEST the MPP can do, even when the MPP is in perfect working condition!!

Dennis

#353774 - 10/30/12 07:41 PM Re: (OT) Music Pad Pro Questions... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Dennis, can you really read music score with the iPad? You must have excellent vision. I can't even read dots on a single staff lead sheet with the iPad. I bought and tried an iPad and ended up giving it away to one of my sons . . .

#353775 - 10/30/12 07:46 PM Re: (OT) Music Pad Pro Questions... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Bill, the software is available for download on the Internet. If you decide to go with the version 4 MPP (which will load your old files) I will have stuff to send to you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online