SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#352395 - 10/09/12 03:40 AM A new Korg PA600 demo video
Jose Pereira Offline

Loc: Funchal Portugal

Edited by Jose Pereira (10/09/12 03:41 AM)

#352397 - 10/09/12 04:22 AM Re: A new Korg PA600 demo video [Re: Jose Pereira]
Dnj Offline

Fantastic!!

#352399 - 10/09/12 04:37 AM Re: A new Korg PA600 demo video [Re: Jose Pereira]
Jose Pereira Offline

Loc: Funchal Portugal
isn´t it???!!!

A truly great player, and the keyboard sounds excellent

#352410 - 10/09/12 05:46 AM Re: A new Korg PA600 demo video [Re: Jose Pereira]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Parisi is the best arranger demonstrator I have ever heard. Sorry Martin Harris, et al. This is stupendous...

#352419 - 10/09/12 06:45 AM Re: A new Korg PA600 demo video [Re: Jose Pereira]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
That it is, Diki, but you have to keep in mind that you and I happen to like this type of music and enjoy watching a skilled player performing it. But would a Big Band enthusiast or a Do Wop lover have the same response to it. Show me just one music posting by a SZ member that even ATTEMPTS this kind of music or performance. My guess is that fully half don't even like it (lost forever in a musical tine warp).

My point is, that even though I would personally rather listen to 5 miniutes of this guy than 24 hours of all the usual Korg, Yammy, Wersi, Ketron, MS, and Roland demonstrators, it probably isn't true for everybody. Perhaps we could get, oh let's say, Tony Hughes, to give us his assessment of this demo.

chas

#352424 - 10/09/12 07:22 AM Re: A new Korg PA600 demo video [Re: Jose Pereira]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Remember this from some time ago, and still have the same impression, why is he using an arranger, he would be much better on a workstation where he could really showcase his talents.

As to personal preferences, that’s what makes life so interesting, mention a Hammond B3 to some and they will go weak at the knees (And not just because of lifting it) whereas others rate it as the spawn of the devil, as only a Wurlitzer pipe organ can be classed as a real instrument.

Isn’t life wonderful?

Bill

#352426 - 10/09/12 07:25 AM Re: A new Korg PA600 demo video [Re: Jose Pereira]
Dnj Offline

So what Halloween songs is everyone playing this year?

#352429 - 10/09/12 08:02 AM Re: A new Korg PA600 demo video [Re: cgiles]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: cgiles
That it is, Diki, but you have to keep in mind that you and I happen to like this type of music and enjoy watching a skilled player performing it. But would a Big Band enthusiast or a Do Wop lover have the same response to it. Show me just one music posting by a SZ member that even ATTEMPTS this kind of music or performance. My guess is that fully half don't even like it (lost forever in a musical tine warp).

My point is, that even though I would personally rather listen to 5 miniutes of this guy than 24 hours of all the usual Korg, Yammy, Wersi, Ketron, MS, and Roland demonstrators, it probably isn't true for everybody. Perhaps we could get, oh let's say, Tony Hughes, to give us his assessment of this demo.

chas

This guy is simply showing what can be done on an arranger once you take the blinkers off.... thats all. He has done nothing in the demo that could not have been done 10 years ago on practically any arranger. He could do another impromptu demo in anotehr style instantly or programme hisown styles and blow you away just as readily. Despite what others might genuinely believe todays arrangers have almost limitless capabilities and are only limited by the imaginations of the players using them.

You will never see a workstation that could be used so seamlessly in a self contained performance like that without extensive pre programming and sets ups just for one performance. With an arranger you can simply jump from style and create and improvise on the fly. Thats why i pick an arranger over a traditional workstation everytime.Now if the yamaha motif were to borrow some iodeas from their tyros rannge or vice versa i would by a tyros 5 in a heart beat

#352433 - 10/09/12 09:20 AM Re: A new Korg PA600 demo video [Re: Jose Pereira]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Great old style 70's funk...nothing really new or anything that I haven't heard other demonstrators play, including Marty and Peter.

The PA-600 sounds terrific.

However, I must agree with Spalding in that this could have been played on practically any arranger made within the last 10 years or later...it is simply the skill and style of the player and, obviously, a genre he does well in...plus, a workstation would be just that....work! Eeeech!

The arranger does this literally spontaneously, and as said above, "seamlessly".

I like this style of playing, but I wouldn't limit my musical scope to just a few areas...I like it all; Country, Jazz, Funk, Big Band, World, Ballroom, R&B, Pop&Rock, Polkas...it all has a story, and it all requires a unique skill, and the more broader your range on playing styles, the more comprehensive a musician and keyboard player you become, as it is well known that elements of each genre spill over into the others.

Having used both workstations and arrangers, I prefer the latter, not just because I am lazy (which I am, and proud of it), but I really enjoy the immediacy of the arranger...want to play? Just pick an appropriate style to suit your mood, and wail away.

My kind of fun!

All personal opinions, of course.

Last demo trip out with Yamaha, we sold two Tyros4's to two very notable recording studios in Eastern Canada...they were impressed, not only with the quality of the sounds, but also the incredible realism of the styles...as they noted, "Perfect for doing quick demos and getting down basic ideas(such as a quick bass/drum rhythm guitar track) as well more full blown productions". The very same things could be done with a Korg PA3X...we just happened to get there first. wink

Many home studios are now being equipped with mid-range arrangers like the Korg PA-500/600/800 and Yamaha PSR-S series because of the simplicity and rapidity of laying down good basic tracks. I know of several users here in Nova Scotia alone, and they all ain't old farts. wink

Film composers, and professionals like Melissa Manchester, Martina McBride, David Paich (Toto), David Bryant(Bon Jovi), and Sting, use Yamaha and Korg arrangers, and these instruments are also used on Nashville Row (at present using S910's) for songwriting, so, like it or not, they are legitimate musical tools. Oscar Peterson used a Yamaha PSR-9000Pro as well as a Yamaha CVP Clavinova.

Ian

PS...Yamaha's S-series, and Korg's PA-500/600/800 are literally the bread and butter keyboards and best sellers in each company as not everyone, especially students and younger players, can afford the TOTL arrangers.

#352434 - 10/09/12 09:26 AM Re: A new Korg PA600 demo video [Re: Jose Pereira]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I am pretty sure, should he put his mind to it, he could impress on any style. Some formidable chops, there, chas!

Mind you, bigband live arranger demos don't usually do much for me. The only ones that sound any good are the pre-prepared ones, and those are painfully obviously basic arranger backing with a boatload of sequencing done over the top.

Take a closer look, chas. He really IS doing it all in arranger mode. Doing that on a WS wouldn't be spontaneous in the slightest. He's be simply playing over a prepared backing. That really IS the difference. Maybe it might sound a hair better (although, in this case, I doubt he could get MUCH better even with a TOTL WS) with a WS, but you can't pick and choose your jam sections, get in and out of the endings or vamps at will, etc..

I can only imagine what he could do with an EC5 footpedal to save himself the button pushing most of the time! Don't dispair, chas! I am sure most of this forum can appreciate this for whatb it is. It's not JUST doo-wop and bigband devotees here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online