SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#334467 - 12/15/11 01:17 PM 2011 in Review
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas

Is it too early to take a look back at 2011? (It may be too early as everyone is extremely busy right now.) But anyway, I thought a year in review would be interesting, especially before looking ahead to the upcoming new year.

What progress have you made this year? Any new cool acquired this year? What has changed for you this year? What goals were achieved this year? Any goals for 2012?

Here's a review of 2011 for me:

2011 started on a bit of a down note for me because I broke my wrist ice skating with my little girl. I couldn’t get back to playing until the end of February. During this down time, I took Gary Diamonds advice and put together a demo package and sent them out to several Nursing Homes. To my surprise I got some calls back and now I’m doing weekly shows at Nursing Homes. Thanks Gary for the tips!

In March I meet fellow SZ member Tye (Shade of Pale) He invited me to a Chinese New Year event that his band was playing at. He was kind enough to invite my wife and I to play a few songs. He’s a supper cool guy and we have become good friends. It’s been fun getting to hang out with him, playing on his Tyros 3, Auyada, Korg PX2. Also Tye invited me as a percussionist with his band “Rendition.” They are really good and have a nice variety of music.

March through May my wife and I spent just about every weekend recording a Latin music CD. It was a great experience and I think we both learned a lot in the process. I would like to thank SZ member Larry Hawk for posting my music here on Synth Zone. Thanks to all those that listened, all the positive feedback and constructive criticism.

As far as new gear, my major purchase was a second Bose Compact. I’d like to get a new keyboard but still haven’t quite found what I’m looking for. Until then, I still have plenty to learn on the Tyros 2.

I feel I’ve made a bit of progress as a vocalist this year. I’d like to thank Scott Yee for the encouragement. I’ve gone from doing all instrumentals to now singing on just about everything I that I play now. Working on vocals has brought me into new musical directions – especially country and early rock music. Music is like a never ending journey- there’s always something new to learn.

Goals for 2012: Play my gigs without any charts, be able to play a set on just solo piano (no styles, SMF...) Keep on learning more jazz, county, rock, and latin vocabulary ( a life long process) Get some steady work for my latin music band.

I’d like to wish all my fellow SZ members a merry Christmas a happy new year. This has been a great place for me to get new perspectives on all sorts of stuff. I can’t thank enough all the members that have sent me styles, lead sheets, and helped me out with my gear. May 2012 bring you many new and exciting musical adventures. Happy playing!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#334468 - 12/15/11 04:20 PM Re: 2011 in Review [Re: montunoman]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Great report. Congratulations on your successes. Good luck with your 2012 goals.

#334469 - 12/15/11 06:00 PM Re: 2011 in Review [Re: btweengigs]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Merry Christmas and HEALTHYHappy New Year to you as well ...

Edited by tony mads usa (12/15/11 06:01 PM)

#334471 - 12/15/11 06:34 PM Re: 2011 in Review [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Congratulations Paul. I'm confident that 2012 will be an even better year for you.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#334473 - 12/15/11 07:19 PM Re: 2011 in Review [Re: montunoman]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
You forgot one goal Paul...to upload and display your profile avatar...remember that?

Thanks for your compliment, and your year in review was excellent.

Thanks to Nigel and the SynthZone members, it's still the best place to visit

Hope everyone has a great 2012!!!

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#334482 - 12/16/11 10:20 AM Re: 2011 in Review [Re: lahawk]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Way to go, Paul. Larry, excellent find!

Be well in 2012, everyone!

R.

#334493 - 12/17/11 01:49 AM Re: 2011 in Review [Re: lahawk]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: lahawk

Thanks to Nigel and the SynthZone members, it's still the best place to visit

Thanks so much Larry. I think the atmosphere here has improved a lot over the year.

#334538 - 12/19/11 09:41 AM Re: 2011 in Review [Re: montunoman]
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
Originally Posted By: montunoman

In March I meet fellow SZ member Tye (Shade of Pale) He invited me to a Chinese New Year event that his band was playing at. He was kind enough to invite my wife and I to play a few songs. He’s a supper cool guy and we have become good friends. It’s been fun getting to hang out with him, playing on his Tyros 3, Auyada, Korg PX2. Also Tye invited me as a percussionist with his band “Rendition.” They are really good and have a nice variety of music.''

Paul, It has been a pleasure meeting you and Cynthia as well, I do enjoy your friendship, it's awesome to have you playing percussions with us, brought smile to my face everytime when you did your little fills on your stuff, also ironic that we're a little diffrent musically,professionally trained, and i couldn't read a single note, haha, thanks buddy

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online