SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#328367 - 07/09/11 07:18 AM New York New York
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Just wondering if any of you perform this tune. If so, how are you doing it (style, SMF, audio backing track, live...)

I'd like to play it (like the oringianl version) in style mode, but with the ritardando it seems like it would be hard to pull off. Perhaps there's a specail NY NY style out there?

Maybe I just need to sing/play along with a SMF? I'm still not comfortable with the idea of performing with an audio backing track...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#328374 - 07/09/11 08:20 AM Re: New York New York [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When I have a non-dancing crowd I prefer using a midi file, which really does a great job.

When I have a dancing crowd I use a song-specific style file that nails it perfectly, but does not have the retardo in the last segment of the song. You can, however, do this using a style file in combination with registrations to change the tempo, then switch back to the original tempo at the ending. If you need the style file, email me and I'll be more than happy to send it to you.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#328375 - 07/09/11 08:20 AM Re: New York New York [Re: montunoman]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Just a word - when you have dancers ... they never mind if you stay in tempo. The other way to do it on the fly is to program the ritardando into registrations. Does your keyboard have a "rit" button? You can preset that to your custom ammnt in some cases too.
For me, I just stay in tempo till I need to punch the very last few hits and I turn off the drums at that point and just use a solid LH bass layered over the chord sound du jour (I change that alot). Nice and full, with a dynamic ending, and the dancers get a few extra measures of ateps in!

#328382 - 07/09/11 09:08 AM Re: New York New York [Re: montunoman]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Not sure what board you are using, but if memory serves me correct there is a style in the Tyros style for New York New York that has the ritardando built into the ending.

Alternatively just select the ending for the style you are using, and from the edit screen choose overdub, (Or whatever your keyboard calls it) then when the ending starts, slowly vary the tempo as required. (Don’t forget to save the modified style afterwards)

Hope this helps

Bill

#328388 - 07/09/11 10:06 AM Re: New York New York [Re: abacus]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I do the tune either with a SMF or style ... I have the style set as Gary suggested, using pre-set registrations _ in 'technics' language those are 'Panel Memory" settings ... the PMs go from the beginning tempo to the 'kick' tempo at the end ... in certain songs even the dancers EXPECT a tempo change ...

#328389 - 07/09/11 10:15 AM Re: New York New York [Re: montunoman]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Paul,
On your Tyros keyboard: to trigger a 'ritard' during one of the style's endings,
after initially selecting one of the ending buttons, simply tap that button again a second time. cool
btw: Check your email. wink
I'm looking forward to talking to you when you're back in California.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online