SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#320201 - 03/26/11 07:57 AM Helpf for singing during heavy pollen season
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
The pollen count is off the charts, plus, it was a smoky bar. At the gig last night, my voice would just disappear during a song! Some notes just don't come out! Weird! I kept drinking water. I also have some throat spray for singers; maybe I should have used it more. Yet, I really don't know how to combat this. Any ideas, another gig tonight in another bar. I hope it is not as smoky, probably won't be, that one last night was extra bad. This "problem" happened several times during the gig.

The other issue is cig smoke. I swore off playing in honky tonks months ago but I really needed to test some equipment, so, I booked these two gigs. Gosh, I hate cig smoke.

#320205 - 03/26/11 08:31 AM Re: Helpf for singing during heavy pollen season [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Dnj Offline

I feel for you...here in NJ there is NO SMOKING ANYWHERE PERIOD!
And it was just passed No Smoking on Public Beaches, Parks, or soon In your own Car with kids !

#320213 - 03/26/11 09:17 AM Re: Helpf for singing during heavy pollen season [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bill, reminds me of a song I wrote years ago.
It starts like this:

I'm not like most people, I go to work late at night,
Playin' guitar in a smokey ol' bar hopin' nobody starts a fight . . .
DonM

#320215 - 03/26/11 09:19 AM Re: Helpf for singing during heavy pollen season [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

A light antihistamine will take care of the pollen. And, of course, keeping your self well hydrated. As for the cigarette smoke--nothing works!

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#320216 - 03/26/11 09:21 AM Re: Helpf for singing during heavy pollen season [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

You wanna borrow my fan to blow the smoke back at 'em?
DonM

#320227 - 03/26/11 11:44 AM Re: Helpf for singing during heavy pollen season [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
Bill, reminds me of a song I wrote years ago.
It starts like this:

I'm not like most people, I go to work late at night,
Playin' guitar in a smokey ol' bar hopin' nobody starts a fight . . .
DonM

Don ... would LOVE to hear the rest of that ...

Bill ... a fan MIGHT help ... also I use 'Hall's' Cough Drops:
http://www.gethalls.com/halls.aspx

I use the menthol ... Helps keep the pipes hydrated ...

Edited by tony mads usa (03/26/11 11:45 AM)

#320230 - 03/26/11 01:06 PM Re: Helpf for singing during heavy pollen season [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Bill, smile

As a singer who's sensitive to smoke & prone to allergies as well, I empathize with you.
I recently discovered a remedy that helped clear up the problem a lot.
Recently having suffered a bad cold and sinus infection, my doctor recommended using a Neti Pot.
When I first got it I thought it was totally weird, but believe it or not, it really WORKS great, flushing your sinus' of pollen, smoke, and gunk.
I use it once in the morning, before going to bed, and before a gig to keep my sinus' clear to freely breathe and sing clearly through the day/evening.
My doc also told me that using the Neti Pot regularly may also help reduce the chance of catching a cold.

Here's the one I use & recommend:

NeilMed NasaFlo Unbreakable Neti Pot with 50 Premixed Packets

Good luck, - Scott cool

#320231 - 03/26/11 01:50 PM Re: Helpf for singing during heavy pollen season [Re: Scottyee]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Good post Scott. My wife uses Neti Pot and swears by it. It really works for her. I am sure it would be particularly beneficial to a vocalist.

#320233 - 03/26/11 02:01 PM Re: Helpf for singing during heavy pollen season [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Dnj Offline

Thanks Scott...

I never heard of this stuff...must be a California thing?....I'll look into it. I usually just use Claritan or an equivalent to clear up the congestion...but I hat the jittery feeling it sometimes gives.

#320238 - 03/26/11 03:53 PM Re: Helpf for singing during heavy pollen season [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

I wipe my nose on my left sleeve.
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online