SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#320134 - 03/25/11 10:07 AM How do you feel when a kid tares you a new one?
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
How do you feel when a kid tares you a new one?

Anyone has seen the child prodigy Emily Bear? She was already playing piano sonatas with major orchestra at age six. She’s maybe ten now and is composing orchestral music. How about that 16 year boy that plays piano and sings like Sinatra? Also recently a 20 year old posted his outstanding playing on his Tyros 4. When I hear these youngsters, I sometimes think, even if I was able to quite my day job and devote myself to music 24/7, I could never achieve the level that these kids have.

I try to not let it bug me though. I love the journey of music and continually trying to improve what I do. I feel blessed that people call me to entertain them even though it’s for small time events at the local level. Heck, even if I weren’t getting calls I’d still do music.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#320136 - 03/25/11 10:54 AM Re: How do you feel when a kid tares you a new one? [Re: montunoman]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I learned early on in my musical journey, to never compare, but always try and identify with other performers.

We each have a story to tell with our music, and, to me, one is not more important than another.

Having this attitude has kept my feet from being firmly planted in mid-air ;), and down on the ground where they work best.

But, you are right...there are some impressive young players/performers out there.

Ian

#320140 - 03/25/11 12:17 PM Re: How do you feel when a kid tares you a new one? [Re: montunoman]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: montunoman

Anyone has seen the child prodigy Emily Bear? She was already playing piano sonatas with major orchestra at age six. She’s maybe ten now and is composing orchestral music. How about that 16 year boy that plays piano and sings like Sinatra? Also recently a 20 year old posted his outstanding playing on his Tyros 4. When I hear these youngsters, I sometimes think, even if I was able to quite my day job and devote myself to music 24/7, I could never achieve the level that these kids have.

I try to not let it bug me though. I love the journey of music and continually trying to improve what I do. I feel blessed that people call me to entertain them even though it’s for small time events at the local level. Heck, even if I weren’t getting calls I’d still do music.

Montunoman,

I identify with you 100%!! Many years ago when I was a teen and took to playing piano, there were some weekend days I'd spend anywhere from 6 to 8 hours per day practicing piano. My buddies would be at the beach I'd stay home and practice because I wanted to play like Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman. I may have done that for about 3 years. All that effort was put into reading and playing classical type music. I did come to the realization early on that no matter how much I practiced I could not make a career in music. I never could pick out tunes by ear, it was always such an effort that I gave up trying to, then just continued learning to play via reading the notes. Some people got it and some don't, I'm of the mind set that I'm in the latter class. Seems to me some have a natural in born talent for music.

The last couple of years I hooked up with a voice coach based on some recommendations here. I asked my voice coach to be candid with me about my voice and what my potential was, he replied, it's OK but don't ever expect to make much money with it. Sure I play a few gigs every month and have day job. I may have not been blessed with the talent we've got on this board, guys like Russ, Donny, Gary, Don M. Scott Yee, Scott L., Randy Saxxman, Mikey Maestro, Tony Rome........the list goes on too many names to list. People who have made a good living playing music. No matter what I have some fun with music, brings me a few bucks for toys. YEA, I do get frustrated at times but that seems to be just the way it is. I'm far from being a pessimist, I've done and been places others have not, but damn I sure wish I could play and sing better.

#320145 - 03/25/11 01:15 PM Re: How do you feel when a kid tares you a new one? [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Stephenm52
Originally Posted By: montunoman

Montunoman,

I identify with you 100%!! Many years ago when I was a teen and took to playing piano, there were some weekend days I'd spend anywhere from 6 to 8 hours per day practicing piano. My buddies would be at the beach I'd stay home and practice because I wanted to play like Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman. I may have done that for about 3 years. All that effort was put into reading and playing classical type music. I did come to the realization early on that no matter how much I practiced I could not make a career in music. I never could pick out tunes by ear, it was always such an effort that I gave up trying to, then just continued learning to play via reading the notes. Some people got it and some don't, I'm of the mind set that I'm in the latter class. Seems to me some have a natural in born talent for music.

The last couple of years I hooked up with a voice coach based on some recommendations here. I asked my voice coach to be candid with me about my voice and what my potential was, he replied, it's OK but don't ever expect to make much money with it. Sure I play a few gigs every month and have day job. I may have not been blessed with the talent we've got on this board, guys like Russ, Donny, Gary, Don M. Scott Yee, Scott L., Randy Saxxman, Mikey Maestro, Tony Rome........the list goes on too many names to list. People who have made a good living playing music. No matter what I have some fun with music, brings me a few bucks for toys. YEA, I do get frustrated at times but that seems to be just the way it is. I'm far from being a pessimist, I've done and been places others have not, but damn I sure wish I could play and sing better.

Steve your in good company "I luv ya Man"...just keep absorbing from everywhere & everyone you can and keep playing everyday.
Create "YOUR" nich`e and don't look back, do it your own way and make it SOUND GOOD no matter what ! And of course you know you can call me anytime If i can be of some help you got it buddy!

enjoy

#320147 - 03/25/11 01:19 PM Re: How do you feel when a kid tares you a new one? [Re: montunoman]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Donny thanks always appreciate the advice you've given me the last few years. rocker

#320149 - 03/25/11 02:02 PM Re: How do you feel when a kid tares you a new one? [Re: montunoman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
On a similar "note", I get to thinking I'm a decent golfer. Shot 1-0ver 72 today.
Got beat 8 shots by a friend who shot 64, 7 under.
The kids out-drive me by 50-60 yards now. But I still have fun playing. Or as is today's case, PAYING.
DonM smile

#320153 - 03/25/11 02:21 PM Re: How do you feel when a kid tares you a new one? [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
There is ALWAYS someone better ... but then, does it have to be about being better than someone else ... just be "The BEST that YOU can be" ...

And remember - we 'EXPERIENCED' players have been places these kids have yet to go ... smile

#320154 - 03/25/11 02:22 PM Re: How do you feel when a kid tares you a new one? [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
On a similar "note", I get to thinking I'm a decent golfer. Shot 1-0ver 72 today.
Got beat 8 shots by a friend who shot 64, 7 under.
The kids out-drive me by 50-60 yards now. But I still have fun playing. Or as is today's case, PAYING.
DonM smile

Now THAT makes me jealous smile

Edited by tony mads usa (03/25/11 02:23 PM)

#320165 - 03/25/11 05:00 PM Re: How do you feel when a kid tares you a new one? [Re: montunoman]
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
The 1st thing I say is good for the parents who recognized the talent. Not enough parents give their children a chance to play an instrument.

#320167 - 03/25/11 05:40 PM Re: How do you feel when a kid tares you a new one? [Re: DanO1]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DanO1
The 1st thing I say is good for the parents who recognized the talent. Not enough parents give their children a chance to play an instrument.

In todays world many children don't have both parents due to divorce or whatever.....plus they're always working anyway.

PS.... isn't it TEARS" ? coffee

Edited by Dnj (03/25/11 05:46 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online