SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#318183 - 03/03/11 09:04 AM Use Tyros4 as real multitrack recorder!
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
Hi,
One of our Dutch forum members Jaap de Haan discovered a great (unknown?) feature of the Tyros4.
We can record unlimited takes using harddiskrecording on the Tyros4 and use every track/take on computer-DAW software.

Feel free to visit our forum :
http://www.t-2.nl/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=2914&#20180

I did some translation work for you guys! (T-Rossie)

#318189 - 03/03/11 10:00 AM Re: Use Tyros4 as real multitrack recorder! [Re: kla4]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Roel, thanks for sharing that nice discovery.
Also, thanks for your invitation to the Oostendorp Yamaha Tyros Forums. smile
I find the Google (Dutch to English) auto-translator working quite well too. cool

I'm wondering now how it would appear if I used Google Translate to compose in English and have Google translate to Dutch;
and then post that Dutch translation on the Oostendorp Tyros 4 forum. Would that work very well? confused1

#318193 - 03/03/11 10:40 AM Re: Use Tyros4 as real multitrack recorder! [Re: kla4]
kla4 Offline

Hi Scott,
Please feel free to reply. Many dutchies read/understand English but translated into Dutch would be more interesting for all dutch members.
If you need any help with registering, let me know. (I'm one of the moderators of T-2 forum)

Hope you join us!

#318194 - 03/03/11 11:43 AM Re: Use Tyros4 as real multitrack recorder! [Re: kla4]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It kind of begs the question, though... other than maybe the initial capture while we play, why not use the FAR more sophisticated audio recording capabilities in the DAW in the first place?

Maybe you also read my thread on using the arranger's sequencer FIRST before recording to audio...? There are CONSIDERABLE advantages to capturing to MIDI first before recording to audio. One that I did not mention, but also bears fruit in a very noticeable way is the ability to transfer the SMF of your performance to the DAW, then record each TRACK separately (or as much breakout as you need), so that better EQ's, compression, effects etc., can be used as needed, and better audio automation can fix the little details that escape the onboard editing. Not to mention that you have access to MUCH better sounds, even, if you use sophisticated VSTi's to replace the weaker sounds in the arranger (this isn't a T4 slam, you can have weak sounds in ANY arranger).

If you are going to go the extra step and use a DAW, you might as well go the whole hog...

#318213 - 03/03/11 01:06 PM Re: Use Tyros4 as real multitrack recorder! [Re: kla4]
kla4 Offline

Diki,
Jaap's 'discovery' eliminates the limitation on T4 of being unable to record more than 2 stereo tracks. He found each take/track is stored on the internal T4 HDD and can make use of them.
DAW software has many (complex) features and not every musician is able to use it. I'm using external sequencer/daw software since the mid-eighties and can afford professional audio devices, so I won't use the T4 recorder.

Jaap has no pro-audio interface, but now is able to digital multitrack.... please try to be happy for him (and many others)

#318219 - 03/03/11 01:34 PM Re: Use Tyros4 as real multitrack recorder! [Re: kla4]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: kla4
Hi Scott,
Hope you join us!
Roel, because of Google's cool automatic web page translation feature, I was able to easily register. I'm now a member of your Dutch Tyros forum. cool

#318220 - 03/03/11 01:41 PM Re: Use Tyros4 as real multitrack recorder! [Re: kla4]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
He can afford a $4000 arranger, and not a $200 audio interface? rolleyes

All I'm trying to point out is this is a VERY complex way of doing something that is done WAY easier in the DAW in the first place. You don't HAVE to use all the complex stuff in a DAW, and there are some very simple to operate ones available for free or very little more than free...

OK, it's interesting to find out that it CAN be done, but the question still remains. Why?

I feel that the least interruption between inspiration and recording makes for the best use of your creativity. Taking a convoluted 'kluge' to do something that a simple DAW would make easy doesn't help the recording process, IMHO.

#318228 - 03/03/11 02:39 PM Re: Use Tyros4 as real multitrack recorder! [Re: kla4]
kla4 Offline

I clearly understand what you are trying to point out. The problem is, you don't see Jaap's/my point and try to 'teach' us a another/better way to do it and bend from the thread Subject.

Edited by kla4 (03/03/11 02:40 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online