SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#291943 - 08/31/10 10:04 PM For those on a budget wnating to try yet another sound solution....
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Try out the Samson Expedition Series and comment.

Anyone who likes the Yamaha Stagepas system will love the Samson system. It beats the Yamaha on many levels.

1. Has a fan in the amp
2. Has an iPod connector for break music or tracks
3. Has speaker mounts built in.
4. Has better Bass response
5. Is $100 Less at $499 for the 300watt system...They also have a 500watt pair.

I have the set up with a Tyros 3 and an S910 and an S90X on the Stagepas system in the store and they really sound better than the Yamahas.

I would be interested to read comments from Arranger acts who may have an opportunity to demo them at a local Music store. Waaaay better then the Bose Compact system for keyboard players. at half the dough.
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=2001&brandID=2

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 08-31-2010).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#291944 - 09/01/10 02:20 AM Re: For those on a budget wnating to try yet another sound solution....
Dnj Offline

The Samson Expedition was the WORST sounding PA system I have ever used on all counts..let's say I aquired one from a buddy few years ago as a small gig unit.., used it 1 week on a few different gigs and dumped it promtly...I cringe at the thought of the experience !
Shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath in the same class as any Bose system .....buyer beware I say!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-01-2010).]

#291945 - 09/01/10 07:45 AM Re: For those on a budget wnating to try yet another sound solution....
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
The Samson Expedition was the WORST sounding PA system I have ever used on all counts..let's say I aquired one from a buddy few years ago as a small gig unit.., used it 1 week on a few different gigs and dumped it promtly...I cringe at the thought of the experience !
Shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath in the same class as any Bose system .....buyer beware I say!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-01-2010).]

Donny,

I believe the unit you used was old technology and is also discontinued. The technology should have improved since 2005

Regards,

Jerry

Dnj
Member posted 08-08-2005 06:13 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Altough I use the BOSE Pas system for most of my gigs.....I also use the Samson Expedition for small nursing homes....its a kool little system with a nice on board mixer and efx too...nice portability also. http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1616&brandID=2

Donny

#291946 - 09/01/10 08:09 AM Re: For those on a budget wnating to try yet another sound solution....
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
I agree sort of with Donny. I would nit have expected anything good from Samson. But IF one likes the Stagepas they ought to give these guys a good workout. I am comparing them to the Stagepas.

As far as the Bose Compact system. I would and do not recommend that system to keyboard players. It does not have the range or the over head for much more than a guitar/singer in a small coffeehouse. They sound very brittle on top and have a nice low with a big hole in between. I always use the Bose to demo Martins and Taylors because it has no EQ to color the sound and is very clear and fantastic for acoustic guitar whose players (especially Taylor lovers do not like low mids trashing the sparkle hence the popularity of the 14 and 16 series over the Dreadnoughts in the Taylor line). Martin has even had to make a "Taylor copy" LOL http://www.martinguitar.com/

BTW It is very easy to mention the Samson Expedition and the Bose Compact in the same breath when you put them side by side and compare price vs feature. VERY easy. Now if you step up to the real Bose Systems thats another ballgame.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#291947 - 09/01/10 08:12 AM Re: For those on a budget wnating to try yet another sound solution....
Dnj Offline

I've tried many.....but I still enjoy working with Mackie powered speakers.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online