SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#282174 - 02/25/10 02:25 AM OT -- carpe diem
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I just thought I would share this, as it did affect me. In the past two weeks, I have gone to four funerals. Four friends, gone.

The reason I am posting this is my cousin's death. He was 83, yes, but in robust health. As active as anyone can be. Even had a girlfriend 30 years younger than him. Fit, vibrant. Became ill and was diagnosed with gall bladder problems. Long story short, they did "routine" laparoscopic surgery to remove his gall bladder. And he died.

Yes, he was 83. But everyone thought he'd certainly hit 100. One minute, talking and joking about getting his garden going next week and then a few hours later, dead. His family is in shock. Me, too. I really liked this man and he is one of the few relatives that age that I still have.

Routine surgery is not without serious risk. I have lost two friends this way. I have no idea what happened with my cousin, it's possible that someone might have been at fault. Then again, anytime you go under anesthesia, I guess sometimes, the body just doesn't wake up.

So, it just reminds me once again how important it is... that if we have had a dream to do something, whatever it is, carpe diem.

EDIT: P. S. I didn't post this for sympathy, I am doing just fine. I just posted it so it might spur someone to take that first step for whatever you might have been putting off. Easier said than done, isn't it.

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 02-25-2010).]

#282175 - 02/25/10 03:42 AM Re: OT -- carpe diem
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
"The death of a friend is equivalent to the loss of a limb."
- German Proverb

My condolences, SemiLiveMusic.

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#282176 - 02/25/10 06:30 AM Re: OT -- carpe diem
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Like many here, after having a heart attack, 5 stents, a double bypass and ventricular fibrilaton, I enjoy everyday I have. I save money, but make sure my wife and I do the things we want to do - now. I certainly hope to make a good length further, but after having died once, I definitely don't take life for granted anymore.

So, as SemiLive suggests, don't put off til tomorrow...

#282177 - 02/25/10 07:43 AM Re: OT -- carpe diem
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Gotta' agree. That's why I'm still searching for a bigger boat. Sailing to "Saint Somewhere" isn't just a dream for me, it's something I'm going to do. Some folks are contented to sit in front of their computers day and night, watch TV, and watch their lives go by. Then there are others, such as many of us on this forum, that wish to live life to the fullest as if it was their last day on Earth. Who knows--this just might be the last one.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#282178 - 02/25/10 08:25 AM Re: OT -- carpe diem
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bill ... sorry for your loss ... but I hear ya ...

I have told Lydia for a long time, that when I go, life will not have owed me ANYTHING ... are there still things we haven't done and want to do, ABSOLUTELY ... but we are still doing them, and we have a GREAT life together ... I have also very often said that there are more people who would want to trade their position with me, than people I would want to trade position with ... and I am sure that goes for a lot of us here ...

Get those items on that bucket list checked off !!!

I thank the Good Lord for putting me in the right place at the right time, and giving me the free will to make the right choice ...

t.

#282179 - 03/12/10 09:57 AM Re: OT -- carpe diem
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Unreal... DonM and I have a golfing buddy... underwent a "routine" stent procedure to place one in his leg to improve leg circulation. Pulling the wire out, they punctured the artery. Bled to death. Hard to believe, man, what a tragedy. You can bet, dying from this was the farthest thing from his mind. Totally elective thing, he didn't even have to do it. Can you imagine what it was like when the doc told the family?

Wow, that is heavy. He will be missed, he was a lot of fun.

#282180 - 03/12/10 10:13 AM Re: OT -- carpe diem
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I played golf with him this weekend. Believe me, dying was the last thing on his mind.
It sure gets your attention.
DonM

#282181 - 03/12/10 01:42 PM Re: OT -- carpe diem
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
On Wednesday I had a cardioversion to correct atriel fribulation. I feel like I'm 20 years younger. I didn't fully realize how bad I had been feeling. Life is a grand and glorious thing and I am going to live it to the fullest!

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#282182 - 03/12/10 01:50 PM Re: OT -- carpe diem
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Joe,

The boat will be back in the water on or before April 15th. It will be fully stocked with Coors Light, Kickapoo Joy Juice, and hot & cold running women. Welcome aboard.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#282183 - 03/12/10 02:37 PM Re: OT -- carpe diem
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
...and hot & cold running women.

Running where!

Running from whom?

Oh, you meant "water".

-mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry