SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#268234 - 07/28/09 09:43 AM The Best Keyboard player I have heard to date
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHmmid1pLi8
I don't think there are many that could play circles around Tommy Johnson. He has a bunch of songs at this site, all videos.
Thanks to Bernie SJ Member that sent this to my morning email.
Best to all
Bebop

#268235 - 07/28/09 10:05 AM Re: The Best Keyboard player I have heard to date
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/019883.html

Bill you going to stop dreaming of playing like that...and answer my questions..

#268236 - 07/28/09 10:56 AM Re: The Best Keyboard player I have heard to date
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Maybe Bebop dreams more of playing like that than about how many thousands of MP3's he can have on his E80 so he doesn't HAVE to play like that!

#268237 - 07/28/09 11:00 AM Re: The Best Keyboard player I have heard to date
Fran Carango Offline

I can play like that with one of your hands tied behind me..

#268238 - 07/28/09 11:02 AM Re: The Best Keyboard player I have heard to date
Fran Carango Offline

The number of MP3's possible is important for me for breaks..an "DJ" type request..

I don't expect it to compete with my Mediastation or laptop...both have over 12,000 MP3's for DJ type work...

but it would be nice if it could recognize a couple thousand and have them indexed..

I have the Zune, but like the ipod..who wants to work that way..

Same with the Zoom..

I use Copernic search on my laptop and have instant access to any song request...The MediaStation is similar...

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 07-28-2009).]

#268239 - 07/28/09 02:15 PM Re: The Best Keyboard player I have heard to date
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI FRAN,
I just now booted up and found your email and responded to yours before any of the other 35.
I hope I got all the answers you wanted from my manuals but hollar if you have more questions, I will try to help.
Best to ya,
Bebop

#268240 - 07/28/09 09:07 PM Re: The Best Keyboard player I have heard to date
Lucky2Bhere Offline

I saw these video’s a while back. Initially I was very impressed with his playing. But, as I played them over and over a few times. I made some observations.

He plays everything in the Key of C.
He repeats the same riffs or variations of the same riffs.
He plays clichéd riffs.
He seems to play nothing but blues lines. I think any one of the members here could play like him if that’s ALL they played. I’m wondering if he could play the Nearness of You even?
His playing is very mechanical….no “feeling” to it. Too many notes. Guitarists don’t play that way. They pause….hang on to notes….bend them, etc.
I think...he’s using MIDI files on some of those songs?

On a positive note, what he plays, he plays well. He has good fingering...good command of the keyboard. Also has some nice ideas in between the blues riffs.

He’s a great example of what Diki alluded to a while ago. If you want to be good at playing a certain way, then immerse yourself in that style. Study it, listen to it, play it all day until it eventually all sinks in!

P.S. IMO, he couldn’t hold a candle to Rory. That’s who I would call a musician’s musician. Someone who can play almost any style and play it well. And someone who can sing while they’re playing great runs...not any easy thing to do (again, in my book, Rory takes the honors for that too).

Lucky

#268241 - 07/28/09 10:37 PM Re: The Best Keyboard player I have heard to date
Lucky2Bhere Offline

I really have to give credit where credit is due. Key of C or not, that's a great high-energy job he did on In The Mood.

I don't have high-speed so I'm limited to slow download speeds. I think I'll go down to the library and listen to the rest of his recordings.

Again, I have to say, he's got great command of that keyboard and some nice ideas with his runs.

Lucky

#268242 - 07/29/09 02:08 PM Re: The Best Keyboard player I have heard to date
arranger_yes_pc_no Offline

yes he can play,but honestly is nothing groundbreaking....same old I-IV-V blues progression. There are no changes of key or new sections like a bridge for example....

but yes,if that's what you like,great

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online