SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#268243 - 07/28/09 12:53 PM Senior homes
shim Offline

Loc: USA
How did you guys "get in" the job?
I want to start playing for senior homes, but they ask for references. I have only references from a while back playing "voluntary", however I don't even remember which homes those were; as I went with a group to a couple in 1 day...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Shim

#268244 - 07/28/09 01:40 PM Re: Senior homes
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You could either make a video of yourself to show them, or go and play a few for free and then use them for references.
I wouldn't do more than 30 minutes free though.
That's so when you use them for a reference they won't say, "oh he did an entire show for free."
Years ago, I used to tell them my price and then say if you don't like it, you don't have to pay me. I never got stiffed.
DonM

#268245 - 07/28/09 02:55 PM Re: Senior homes
zuki Offline

Shim,

You have to do the following:

1. Make persistent phone calls to MANY prospects until someone books you sight unseen - then you'll at least have a reference
2. Get a demo on YouTube or do a DVD
3. Get a promo pic (I got 100 nice envelope sized for $100 from Picture People)
4. Perhaps do a freebie for someone (last resort)
5. Write an introductory letter and mail out to prospects
6. Write a thank you letter to those who "will keep you in mind" - they will NEVER book you if you don't keep on top of them

I started from stratch in 2/07 and did it that way. It takes a while but you will finally get in if you have the goods.

Even now, I never leave my guard down. I follow these steps continually, as there are no guarantees and these so-called Activity Directors change like the wind

If you want to make a living, you'll need about 150+ prospects or you'll starve

Good luck

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#268246 - 07/28/09 04:26 PM Re: Senior homes
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Shim,

I started the senior home circuit by first visiting a few places and checking out the entertainment. In most cases I learned what
entertainers charged by introducing myself, telling them why I was there, and asking questions. In every case, the response was congenial.

I then learned the name of the activity director, the address, and phone number... then called to speak with the AD (keep calling till you make direct contact), introduced myself, and in a few days sent a brief letter similar to the following:

"Dear Kelly,

This is to follow-up on our recent conversation and further introduce myself and my music. I’ve been entertaining for over 30 years and recently started performing at senior facilities. I sing and play the new (______) arranger keyboard that sounds like anything from a grand piano to a full band. Knowing thousands of songs allows me to perform all styles of music from the 40s, 50s and 60s (plus 70s through today), bringing seniors the enjoyment that only their music provides.

Enclosed is a listing of recent area appearances. Feel free to call any of the them for a reference or to call me for additional information and for available dates."

Of course, the second paragraph can be included only after you've played a few performances.

Keep your fees at the average going rate, or perhaps *slightly* less than average to start out, but then immediately adjust the fee as soon as you can include that second paragraph. Since starting our ~ 6 years ago, I've increased my fees three times with little problem. Tell them about the cost of gas and they immediately understand.

For your first performance, your playlist should be dynamite - the best of the best - mostly upbeat songs from the 40s, through 60s, a few country (old country), at least one polka, with the closing song something that'll stick in their mind and keep them humming the rest of the day. Have fun and good luck,

Glenn

#268247 - 07/28/09 05:09 PM Re: Senior homes
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Shim - I'm starting out quite like you. I do have references from my trio days and as a church music director, but this is how I booked my first jobs:
1. I made demo CDs of about 10 songs, all less than a minute long. I put all my contact info on the label of the CD. No need to make it fancy, just make it attractive. Put it in a new CD jewel case.
2. I printed up some business cards. 2 cards per visitation plius a few extra.
3. I went from place to place and asked to speak to the Activities Director. Usually it's pretty easy to see the AD, but if she/he is not there you can either leave the material or call back. If you leave the material, make sure you call back in a day or two and speak with the AD. BTW, get the names and extensions of all the ADs and keep them on file.
4. I was not asked to do so, but I would offer to play a free 30 minute set.
5. Be flexible with your fee. Have a definite, fair amount in mind, but be realistic and accept less if you think it will lead to more bookings.
6. Be satisfied with 50% success if this is your first booking attempt. Unfortunately, many places are booked for the rest of the year by now, so if they tell you that, it could very well be the truth.
7. Do your research first. Don't go to places you know nothing about. You need to know whether you are visiting a nursing facility, a retirement community or whatever. Be sure to find out if they have musical entertainment on a regular basis, otherwise you may be wasting valuable time and resources.

A video can also be helpful, but I have yet to need one to land a job. My music speaks for itself. Dress neatly; no need for a shirt and tie, but don't show up in cut-offs and flip-flops unless you plan to be playing at the retired sailors home.

#268248 - 07/28/09 06:17 PM Re: Senior homes
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Shim,

You have to do the following:

1. Make persistent phone calls to MANY prospects until someone books you sight unseen - then you'll at least have a reference
2. Get a demo on YouTube or do a DVD
3. Get a promo pic (I got 100 nice envelope sized for $100 from Picture People)
4. Perhaps do a freebie for someone (last resort)
5. Write an introductory letter and mail out to prospects
6. Write a thank you letter to those who "will keep you in mind" - they will NEVER book you if you don't keep on top of them

I started from stratch in 2/07 and did it that way. It takes a while but you will finally get in if you have the goods.

Even now, I never leave my guard down. I follow these steps continually, as there are no guarantees and these so-called Activity Directors change like the wind

If you want to make a living, you'll need about 150+ prospects or you'll starve

Good luck

I'm in Jim's general area and frankly, I've never used any of those techniques. I've been going at it for over 14 years full time and averaged close to 400 jobs a year. Jim works more than I do, but I turn a ton of stuff away. Jim is a terrific booker but there's other ways to skin a cat.

My point is there is no set pattern do this, this, this and that and bang, you're in. I've had dozens of conversations with Activity Directors who literally throw press kits away...They'll be polite if the performer calls, but they have been burnt too many times by a slickly produced press kit, CD, photo, etc. They book the act based on that and then can't believe how lame it turned out more often than not.

My approach was to walk in...ask to speak to the AD and then describe my service in 30 seconds or less. I gave her my biz card and offered to play a few tunes right here, right now...85% of the time the AD would grab a few residents, walk me to a piano and turn me lose...20 seconds of small talk and I've figured out what somebody's favorite song is...I then play/sing it and so on. From about 5 minutes with me she knows for sure I'm good with the residents, I can actually do what I claim and that the residents like me. No press kit, no video, no cd, zip...

I have a Bachelor's of Science in Business Administration with a major in Marketing. I also had 20+ years of mgt. experience with General Mills before I started this. IMO, it was all about setting myself apart from everyone else. Walking in, on their turf and offering to put my skills on the line right now went a long way toward opening hundreds of doors and contacts for me. I didn't have to hope my press kit was better than someone else's. I didn't have to worry about someone lying to me about paying attention to it.

My approach was 100% success IF I got to sit down at a piano.

Shim, only you can really create the most effective mktg. approach that suits you. Its about product differentiation, in the long run. Nursing homes already have plenty of entertainers. Sell your self and your skillset in a way that sets you apart from the guys already getting the jobs if you can...

If the steps Zuki outlined feel best, then follow them to a T because Jim is a monster booker...If you're worried your stuff may not stand out or that you're better selling yourself in a different way, then go that direction.

The marketing campaign...which is what we're talking about...has to fit the product.

You're the product...think on it...

Any questions-holler. We'd love to help you out...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 07-28-2009).]

#268249 - 07/28/09 06:58 PM Re: Senior homes
zuki Offline

Great points Bill,

You've just given me some great ideas for where I've not been given the time of day

One important issue Shim.....as mentioned by Glen, you must be your absolute best the 1st chance or you'll never get back in

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#268250 - 07/28/09 08:09 PM Re: Senior homes
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Great points Bill,

You've just given me some great ideas for where I've not been given the time of day

One important issue Shim.....as mentioned by Glen, you must be your absolute best the 1st chance or you'll never get back in

Jim-You should share some of your sales background with everyone. I'm sure you're using tried and true sales techniques in your marketing efforts...

Shim-My approach worked in part because I was a fresh face and had never called these AD's or sent them anything.

If I'd been rejected or ignored with different marketing efforts, then walked in to try to sell my services-it could get very dicey. If someone's already told you no, then tread very lightly. AD's do talk amongst themselves and the performers who don't take no for an answer will have their name spread around in a very negative way.

The passage of time from a rejection is important. In those instances where I haven't secured a booking, I will wait at least one year before approaching again. I will not pester an AD for work. It's one of the worst things you can do...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#268251 - 07/28/09 08:42 PM Re: Senior homes
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:

My point is there is no set pattern do this, this, this and that and bang, you're in. I've had dozens of conversations with Activity Directors who literally throw press kits away...They'll be polite if the performer calls, but they have been burnt too many times by a slickly produced press kit, CD, photo, etc. They book the act based on that and then can't believe how lame it turned out more often than not.

My approach was to walk in...ask to speak to the AD and then describe my service in 30 seconds or less. I gave her my biz card and offered to play a few tunes right here, right now...85% of the time the AD would grab a few residents, walk me to a piano and turn me lose...20 seconds of small talk and I've figured out what somebody's favorite song is...I then play/sing it and so on. From about 5 minutes with me she knows for sure I'm good with the residents, I can actually do what I claim and that the residents like me. No press kit, no video, no cd, zip...

IMO, it was all about setting myself apart from everyone else. Walking in, on their turf and offering to put my skills on the line right now went a long way toward opening hundreds of doors and contacts for me.

My approach was 100% success IF I got to sit down at a piano.

Its about product differentiation, in the long run. Nursing homes already have plenty of entertainers. Sell your self and your skillset in a way that sets you apart from the guys already getting the jobs if you can...

I would read what Bill wrote here, and then read it again. Then I would meditate over it for 30 minutes, and then......read it AGAIN!

The senior circuit right now is pretty much discombobulated. Too many entertainers, volunteers, high school groups, church groups, low budgets, flakey AD's, too many rules and regulations, not to mention the thick skin you must possess to put up with some "audience gripes!"

One method I use is to play for nothing on the condition that if they want to book me again, the cost is "double" for the 2nd time and back to basic after that.

Correct: AD's do NOT have time to read through any descriptive letter more than 10 words long. I'm on good terms with many of them and I ask them periodically their current method of booking. Common denominator is most of what comes in my FAX or mail goes into the "circular file."

The BEST way to get into the nursing home circuit is what Bill said. Be DIFFERENT from the competition...offer something uncommon in the field but still attractive to the seniors.

My act consists of playing one song after another.....boom, boom, boom, to give them the most bang for the buck. In between songs, I'll talk about notable celebrities from the era...who made what song famous, who was the bandleader, even automobiles, foods, etc. I worked for years memorizing hundreds of songs and lyrics. Now I can do an hour standing on my head with no format in mind other than playing what I feel is needed at the moment to a particular audience...without the distraction of sifting through music.

The all-time best way to break into any circuit, is to be as good as you can and let the music speak for itself!

Lucky

#268252 - 07/28/09 08:49 PM Re: Senior homes
shim Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks Don, Jim, Glenn, Bill, and Cass. I appreciate the information.

I might be onto something, I called one today and offered to play in the beginning as a volunteer. I'm hoping - G-d willing - to get booked for the coming year.

Once again thank you all for your help.

PS keep the info coming... I don't want this thread to close down... ;-)

Shim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online