SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#268129 - 07/24/09 11:55 AM Dead MOTIF ES 7...spare parts, anyone?
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Our Church's MOTIF ES is officially history. The repair guy at our local official Yamaha repair center quoted Yamaha's price for a new main board at over $1,000. He said that even if he installed it, he could not guarantee that the kbd would work, since he feels it has other issues (he can't prove it, but he thinks it may have taken a hit from a power surge or lightning). So, we have a cosmetically perfect MOTIF ES7 that doesn't work, but looks great. Anyone need spare parts?

We're looking at the KORG Pa588 as a replacement - hearing Dave's positive remarks about his makes me even more interested in this 88 key arranger. It may just be what we need.

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#268130 - 07/24/09 12:29 PM Re: Dead MOTIF ES 7...spare parts, anyone?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tim, forget the Yamaha repair center...Try a experienced electronic repair man..Maybe he can find the problem on the main board and fix what needs to be fixed...Yamaha repair centers just want the easy fix at your expense..swap out the board...Yamaha is not the only one...same with Roland authorized repair centers..

#268131 - 07/24/09 12:45 PM Re: Dead MOTIF ES 7...spare parts, anyone?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Fran's right! Try to find a person who can work on it OUTSIDE of Yamaha. You're clearly out of warranty so it's your choice on who services it.

Fran's also right about Roland too. I've got a busted key on my old dusty Roland RS-70 (wife's stupid cats).., and I about crapped my pants when I contacted Roland for the repair. The repair for them wasn't replacing that single key.., but saying it would be easier to just replace the entire keybed. The cost was more than half the value of the synth. Even if they repaired teh single key.., cost would still have been damn near half the value of the synth. I have no clue how to fix them so.., well scotch tape is a beautiful thing
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#268132 - 07/24/09 03:28 PM Re: Dead MOTIF ES 7...spare parts, anyone?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Personally, if your local authorized repair guy won't diagnose the problem accurately (or he would KNOW that a board swap would work or not), I would call Yamaha and ask to ship it back to the MAIN repair center, and let guys who do NOTHING but work on Yamaha products sort out the problem.

You wouldn't let a surgeon operate on you until you had a definitive diagnosis, and I wouldn't let this doofus work on your Motif until you KNEW what the problem is...

#268133 - 07/25/09 07:12 AM Re: Dead MOTIF ES 7...spare parts, anyone?
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Quote:
The repair guy at our local official Yamaha repair center quoted Yamaha's price for a new main board at over $1,000. He said that even if he installed it, he could not guarantee that the kbd would work, since he feels it has other issues (he can't prove it, but he thinks it may have taken a hit from a power surge or lightning....

What you and your church need now is a SECOND OPINION on the troubleshoot and estimate.

In this old electronics troubleshooter's experience, what he says just doesn't happen very often at all. Statistically absurd.

I suspect a Power Supply issue and that can be troubleshot and repaired.

Take the unit somewhere else.

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online