SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#260905 - 04/02/09 05:48 PM Midi question: How do I make the bass slide?
Beakybird Offline

How can I slide a note in midi using my DAW?

Beakybird

#260906 - 04/02/09 06:13 PM Re: Midi question: How do I make the bass slide?
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
That deppends on what you using your sound, if its a synth or an softsampler or synth.
Most synths and softsamplers already have samples with slide in it, if not then you can
use regular bass note and slide it with pitchbend.

#260907 - 04/02/09 07:01 PM Re: Midi question: How do I make the bass slide?
Beakybird Offline

OK. So using my DAW, what midi message is pitch bend?

Also, bending a note is a little different from portamento. Is there a way to get a slide sound as opposed to a bend sound?

Beakybird

#260908 - 04/02/09 07:04 PM Re: Midi question: How do I make the bass slide?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You've got a Yamaha, don't you, Beaky? If I remember rightly, there is a bass slide sample in there...

#260909 - 04/02/09 07:09 PM Re: Midi question: How do I make the bass slide?
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
You've got a Yamaha, don't you, Beaky? If I remember rightly, there is a bass slide sample in there...

I don't think there is a bass slide sample in there. I looked it up in the data list book.

But I know there must be a way to do it with any bass voice.

Beakybird

#260910 - 04/03/09 12:20 AM Re: Midi question: How do I make the bass slide?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
As fas as you are talking about inputting a bass slide on a sequencer (no real time playing),

1) maybe a carefully programmed portamento slide can do the job. Portamento on, slide, portamento off. (maybe you also have to send the portamento time for better effect.)

2) or, supposing that your bend value is the normal 2 semitones, an instantaneous setting of the bend value to 12 semitones and the "drawing" of the bend with a mouse" and then back again to 2 semitones.

Never done any of this, just thinking aloud.

maybe this will help regarding the CC numbers
http://www.tweakheadz.com/midi_controllers.htm

#260911 - 04/03/09 12:33 AM Re: Midi question: How do I make the bass slide?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
A bass slide, other than upright or fretless, is very difficult to emulate, as the slide is not continuous but half-stepped as your finger slides over the frets.

Maybe an S900 guru can chime in... is there a bass slide sample in the S900?

If not, if you have a pencil tool and a good eye, you could draw in a fret glide by drawing in the semi-stepped (it's not REALLY exactly a half-step in the real world) slide rather than a straight line pitch bend (MIDI has pitch bend with it's own dedicated command, not any specific control #). But you also need to increase the default pitch bend range for the MIDI part - it's usually just a whole tone, you need at least a 4th and maybe a 5th of bend range (usually a MIDI commandable parameter). Then draw a descending ziggurat type pitch bend line and you are in the ballpark.

You might even get clever, and save a good one or two as MIDI files by themselves... just the commands for pitch bend range change and pitchbend data. Then paste into any style or SMF that needs one...

#260912 - 04/03/09 01:49 PM Re: Midi question: How do I make the bass slide?
jwyvern Offline

Beaky-
You have a Mega Acousticbass on the S900 (Voice Nos. 008/0/017)

There is a choice of 7 slides available as far as I can find (checking out that voice on Ty3).

To trigger them you have to set the voice to the "correct" octave and play the 7 notes C5 to F#5.
To set the octave:
1. Make sure the keyboard octave is at default (zero)

2. Go to Tune tab of Mixing console and set the Octave for the voice to +1 (ie. 3 octaves up from its default setting)

Play the above keys and you should hear the slides.

John

#260913 - 04/03/09 11:43 PM Re: Midi question: How do I make the bass slide?
Beakybird Offline

The Ty3 and the S900 are different animals. The S900's mega acoustic has no slide samples. I think the thing to do would to be to maybe paste in some 64th notes or 128th notes going up or down. That's probably the easiest way to do it. I'll see if that gets the effect I want.

Or maybe a purchase a bass sample.

Thanks for all the help.

Beakybird

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online