SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#249786 - 11/28/08 07:04 PM Help for Acid Pro 4.0...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
While my level of technical expertise is fairly high, there are times when even this old man encounters problems he cannot solve without help. Hopefully, someone with lots of experience with Acid Pro 4.0 can provide some assistance to an exasperated, old man.

I recently upgraded my operating system from Windows ME to Windows XP PRO, and also installed a new sound card, Creative Sound Audigy. Since then when I try to record multiple track audio files, the second track slowly, but surely begins to lag behind the initial track during playback.

Initially, I record the first track directly from my Yamaha PSR-3000 keyboard's audio out directly into the Line In of the PC. The second track is also recorded in the same manor where vocals are recorded. While the vocal timing is right on the money during the recording session, when played back, it slowly begins to lag behind until it eventually gets to the point where it's a full second behind track one.

Prior to upgrading to Windows XP Pro and adding the new sound card this problem did not exist. When I checked for compatibility the highest Acid Pro 4.0 went was Windows 2000--not XP Pro. Is there an upgrade patch that I can download to fix this problem? Or, is this just the nature of the software?

Let me know ASAP. If there is no quick fix I will have to resort to purchasing another recording program that is compatible with Windows XP Pro.

Thanks,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#249787 - 11/29/08 08:02 AM Re: Help for Acid Pro 4.0...
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Gary,

it's possible that the problem lies not in the OS but in your new souncard; if I were you, I would look for the latest drivers for the Audigy and also check (in the dedicated menu) that you have the option for ASIO drivers activated. Check also in the Acid Pro Menu "Option\Preferences\Audio Devices" that you have selected the correct options for the soundcard (both for recording and playback).

#249788 - 11/29/08 11:34 AM Re: Help for Acid Pro 4.0...
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Just a word about Creative Sound Audigy. This company has advertized their products to be 24/96 for recording, when in fact they are not. You can process at 24/96 but that's it. They mislead customers, there have been lawsuits. Might do the job you want, but they are not what they say they are.

#249789 - 11/30/08 07:42 AM Re: Help for Acid Pro 4.0...
travlin'easy Offline

Finally solved the problem. It has nothing to do with the sound card or software--it's my aging computer. While at the time it was purchased, which was about seven years ago, the 933-mhz Intel III process was top of the line, this is no longer the case, especially when running Windows XP-Pro. The processor is so overburdened that I cannot handle multi-tasking projects using sophisticated software--even with all the startup files disabled. So, it's time to buy a new desktop computer, something that will handle the latest software without glitches. If I were not so accustomed to using the PC, and all the programs available for PC, I would probably be switching to a Mac. But, even they have problems.

Thanks guys,

Gary

#249790 - 11/30/08 09:13 AM Re: Help for Acid Pro 4.0...
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Finally solved the problem. It has nothing to do with the sound card or software--it's my aging computer. While at the time it was purchased, which was about seven years ago, the 933-mhz Intel III process was top of the line, this is no longer the case, especially when running Windows XP-Pro. The processor is so overburdened that I cannot handle multi-tasking projects using sophisticated software--even with all the startup files disabled. So, it's time to buy a new desktop computer, something that will handle the latest software without glitches. If I were not so accustomed to using the PC, and all the programs available for PC, I would probably be switching to a Mac. But, even they have problems.

Thanks guys,

Gary

INdeed, There are a number of lower priced PCs out there that will do the job VERY well.

I still would not use Acid on Vista though the SQL is no compatible. SO if you know a local computer builder have them build you a computer with you XP installed.

The Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz - 4GB DDR2 SDRAM seems to be the sweet spot right now piece vs performance.I am currently building a new DAW around that chip.

Here is a list of what I ordered

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P P45 775 MB $119.99
CPU INTEL|C2Q Q6600 2.40G 775 8M R $189.99
VGA POWERCLR HD2600PRO 512MB DDR2 $29.99
CASE ANTEC|NINE HUNDRED BK RT $59.99
Thermaltake 450W Power supply $79.99
500GB Seagate SATA 7200RPM Drive $79.99
Samsung DVD Burner $29.99
2GB x2 G.Skill Memory $59.99
External USB Floppy Drive $11.99

About $650 for a System with GOOD parts.

You an probably get a builder to build you one. Takes about an hour to put it all together, If you do that make sure he uses a QUALITY Mother board. Many "bargain" systems cut corners on Mother boards and Video cards. For a DAW you don;t want a TOTL Video card hogging resources. Any inexpensive Radeon or NVidia based card with TWO DVI outputs will work fine.

That extra LCD does wonders for your work space.

Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#249791 - 11/30/08 02:57 PM Re: Help for Acid Pro 4.0...
travlin'easy Offline

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the component list.

Gary

#249792 - 11/30/08 05:25 PM Re: Help for Acid Pro 4.0...
travlin'easy Offline

Upon further investigation about this problem, I contacted my son, who for the past 20 years has been a top level computer programmer. When he was a bit younger he had a Grunge band that was extremely successful, and he also recorded other bands. He suggested a few things, which did not solve the problem, then suggested I virus scan the computer, do a Scan Disk, then defragment the HD. After doing this he recommended downloading ASIO4ALL v2, which turns out to be a free program that does lots of neat things. I installed the program and all is well. Everything now works just fine, and I'm back to being able to record again. You'll find the program at www.asio4all.com .

Thanks again for the suggestions and help,

Gary

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online