SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240766 - 08/25/08 12:23 AM The real nightmare!
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Okay, today I had the nightmare of my career!

I was running late for a job a 2 hour drive away. I quickly packed everything I needed into the van, and flew out on my way. About 2 hours later, as I'm pulling into the driveway of the client, I turn around to the back and realize that @#$%!! In my rush, I left the keyboard at home!!

Thank G-d, I had recommended to the client that in addition to myself, he should hire a string quartet which I arranged. I went up to the string quartet and explained the situation, and they really filled in for me with some great performances.

The client was so happy, that he still paid me in full!

Phew... What a day...
Chony

#240767 - 08/25/08 12:40 AM Re: The real nightmare!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
That's the advantage of a 45 lb. arranger (and flight case).

You ALWAYS know you've put that in the van, just from your backache for the next ten miles!

BTW, that was a VERY understanding client. I hope you kicked half your fee to the string quartet for covering your ass!

#240768 - 08/25/08 12:54 AM Re: The real nightmare!
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
That's the advantage of a 45 lb. arranger (and flight case).

You ALWAYS know you've put that in the van, just from your backache for the next ten miles!

BTW, that was a VERY understanding client. I hope you kicked half your fee to the string quartet for covering your ass!

LOL that's true (the backache)!

I didn't exactly kick them half my fee, but I tipped them very generously. I'm their band leader and hired them by the hour, so although the job didn't get done the way I had originally intended, it was still my band that got the job done and thankfully the client and musicians were all very happy.

The reason the client was understanding, is because everything was seamless. There was no panic, the show went on, the entertainment was great, and I've done in the past over ten flawless shows for him already...

Also, the client didn't really care what the entertainment was, as long as there was entertainment. So that was lucky...

#240769 - 08/25/08 01:58 AM Re: The real nightmare!
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Reminds me of my drummer-days, when we had a gig on the other end of the country - which is, in our case, just 150 miles, by the way . I had it all with me. The bass drum, snare, 5 toms, 6 cymbals, Octobans...

The only thing left behind at home was a flight case with all the stands and other "hardware". Pretty useless to have your instrument there but not the stuff to "assemble" it

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM
http://www.keyboardforum.nl

#240770 - 08/25/08 05:56 AM Re: The real nightmare!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
In my 40+ years of gigging I have NEVER forgotten any equipment; EVER...and here's why;

I count each piece of equipment that get's packed into my car. For Drum gigs it's 10 pieces, for Keyboard gigs, it's 7. I count when I'm ready to leave the house and I count when I'm ready to leave the gig for home.

Works like a charm.....

------------------
Al Giordano
Visit us at ARRANGER WORLD! http://www.arrangerworld.com

Korg Pa2xpro, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland TD-12 Vdrums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#240771 - 08/25/08 05:59 AM Re: The real nightmare!
Dnj Offline

It's happened to me also....but I just used my Laptop & sang & Dj'd the night away.......
I back up all my songs recording them to Mp3's for just this scenario...I also have them all on my Phone SD card also....
no problem.

#240772 - 08/25/08 06:12 AM Re: The real nightmare!
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I count each piece of equipment that get's packed into my car. For Drum gigs it's 10 pieces, for Keyboard gigs, it's 7. I count when I'm ready to leave the house and I count when I'm ready to leave the gig for home.

Works like a charm.....

I'm sure it does... But my 'mishap' occured back when I was in a 8-men band, and we were all busy trying to jam every piece of stuff 8 musicians use into an always juuuust to small van In the rush and due to miscommunications ("I thought YOU picked up that mic stand!") sometimes things get forgotten.

Usually it wasn't a big deal, I can play a gig without having my floor tom there, but this time was a little worse

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM
http://www.keyboardforum.nl

#240773 - 08/25/08 06:46 AM Re: The real nightmare!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I guess I among the fortunate as well--never happened to me. I have backed up pretty much everything, but I no longer carry a spare keyboard in the van. And, like DNJ, I have lots of stuff on the laptop just in case the keyboard drops dead, which has never happened. I usually tell my clients that the only thing that would prevent me from performing would be my untimely demise.

Unfortunately, this nearly was the case two years ago when my van was broadsided on I-95 at 65 MPH by a guy talking on his cell phone and looking at a road map that was laying across his steering wheel. He must have figgured that he need to be in my lane, never looked and slammed directly into the center door of my van, spun me out, then hit it again when his air bag went off and he couldn't see. Both myself and the gear survived, the van died, and the client was very understanding when I called her from the roadside and said I would not be there that day.

Just another fun day in Paradise,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#240774 - 08/25/08 07:16 AM Re: The real nightmare!
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
KBKR's post reminded me of a nightmare, similar to Chony's.

A hundred years ago I was a drummer in a pit band that was part of a traveling troupe that did USO shows at military installations. What fun: singers, dancers, comedians, jugglers contortionists...a great mix of entertainment.

We traveled by bus and I always tried to be careful about counting all the pieces when packing for these jobs.

On one trip to McGuire Air Force Base I failed to put the one little piece of hardware in my hardware case that connects the snare drum to its floor stand. After discovering the piece was missing,I was mortified.

At the last minute I was able to prop up the snare by putting a book on a chair and the snare hanging propped cattiwhoompus on the book. I straddled the chair so I could still control the sock cymbals and bass drum. It was pretty funky looking...but got the job done.

Eddie

#240775 - 08/25/08 08:13 AM Re: The real nightmare!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
[B]...I also have them all on my Phone SD card also....
[B]

So why not just 'phone it in'.

chas

*just kidding, Donny. Don't pop a vein.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online