SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#239869 - 08/12/08 12:21 PM How do you define midi sequencing ?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
How do you define sequencing ?

Does sequencing strictly apply to midi ?

Is sequencing playing a style off your arranger in to midi software to generate a midi template that you can manipulate or add to ?

Or is sequencing strictly using midi to create original composition track by track to create a final song ?

------------------
http://www.esnips.com/web/Songs

#239870 - 08/12/08 12:24 PM Re: How do you define midi sequencing ?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
A sequence is the order of events..

A midi sequence is the order of midi data events..

One note that follows another is a sequence..recorded or live...

#239871 - 08/12/08 01:29 PM Re: How do you define midi sequencing ?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
How do you define sequencing ?

Does sequencing strictly apply to midi ?

Is sequencing playing a style off your arranger in to midi software to generate a midi template that you can manipulate or add to ?

Or is sequencing strictly using midi to create original composition track by track to create a final song ?

Who are you, and what have you done with the REAL Dan01?

chas

#239872 - 08/12/08 02:14 PM Re: How do you define midi sequencing ?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
A sequence is anything done on a sequencer...

What gets confusing is whether or not your arranger CALLS it a 'sequencer'. Usually, a 'recorder' is something that records in audio, like the MP3 recorders on S900, and optionally on Korg's, etc., but Roland, just to screw with you, have a feature they call the 'Recorder', which is NOT audio. It is simply a special kind of sequencer that captures (as MIDI) the total output of your arranger, as you play it, then you store that as an SMF, and can then work on it, one track at a time, in the '16 Track Sequencer' for fine tuning and overdubbing, etc..

Are you confused, yet..? Mission accomplished! :

#239873 - 08/12/08 02:23 PM Re: How do you define midi sequencing ?
DanO1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Who are you, and what have you done with the REAL Dan01?

chas

Still the same old me...
I was following the "i'm the demo guy thread" and didn't want to hijack the thread and there was a lot of conversation of sequencing and just thought I would throw this question out , via this thread

Personally.. I do not sequence anything. I write lyrics, than use styles to try and create songs by recording audio tracks on a hard disk recorder. I do try to be a little more creative with the process, but other than using my arranger with my duo or at Church... I have never connected my sd1 with a computer...

I am more interested in knowing exactly how each member uses there arranger to sequence with...

#239874 - 08/12/08 03:19 PM Re: How do you define midi sequencing ?
Diki Offline

Well, that 'Recorder' feature in the G70 is usually my starting off point...

I try to capture as close to the final arrangement as I can in a 'live' play-through. It helps me solidify the structure, and flow of the piece. After that is done, it gets saved as an SMF, then transfered by USB to my computer. It then gets opened in Cubase, at which point, the sky's the limit!

I can edit the sequence, rearrange the sequence, change sounds volumes, dynamics, whatever I want to, at this point. If there are odd meter bars, it's often easier to do them at this point than try to finagle the arranger into it on the initial capture. I can also clean up any noticeable 'glitches' (everybody has them!), and put any tempo changes, rits, etc., in at this point.

From this point on, it depends on what the sequence is for...

If it's a backing track for the gig, it gets transfered back to the G70, and maybe some last minute EQ and drumkit adjustments are made in the Makeup Tools section to finalize things, then I'll import a text file of either the lyrics, or a chord chart and any instructions I might want to remember (Mark/Jump points, bars intro, that sort of thing) and sync that up.

If it's a bed for a client, for transfer to their studio, I'll record each of the parts as an audio track, and break out and solo most of the drums separately (but I'll often provide a 'best guess' drum mix as well, in case it's good enough!), and I'll take off all reverb, but usually leave on any chorus, if it's part of the signature sound. Then I deliver the audio tracks and the SMF of the session, for them to overdub at their convenience. They can also replace any of my G70 sounds at this point with VSTi's or their own keyboard sounds, if they wish.

If it's a project I am doing entirely at my home studio, at this point I'll record the talent's singing, guitar playing, whatever else needs audio for it (or go to the main studio and track there to a mix), break out all the tracks to audio tracks, and either use them or replace with VSTi's, then mix and master...

How much or little of the original arranger output finally makes it to the finished track depends a lot on how close the style is to what we want. Sometimes, it ends up as little more than a 'guide track' for all the parts to be replaced with either real players, or me playing parts one at a time. Bass lines, especially, I usually find, HAVE to be replaced, preferably by a real bassist. Drums are often layered with some audio loops, Stylus, that sort of thing, if we haven't time to get a real drummer in (or the budget!).

But, I feel the strongest point about the whole process is, if you can find a style remotely similar to what you have in mind, an arranger makes creating, at the very least, great 'guide tracks' in as little time as humanly possible, and sometimes they can even end up in the finished product, if they suit the song well.

Hope this helps...

#239875 - 08/12/08 04:47 PM Re: How do you define midi sequencing ?
DanO1 Offline

Thanks Diki ....

Perhaps a few others will chime in..

BTW... what kind of hardware ( do you have a break out box ?) are you using with your computer ?

Desk Top ? Lap Top ? PC or Mac ?

#239876 - 08/12/08 05:28 PM Re: How do you define midi sequencing ?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hi Dan!
I rarely sequence, but when I do...it's usually for the kids at school. I use garage band on a mac, or reason if I need better sounds.
At home, I can sequence right in the PA80, but I don't have a need to. I don't consider using styles as sequencing either...even if you tweak them. In my book - a sequence is a note by note creation, and most of the ones I use are commercially available. Fran and I were Tune1000 dealers back in the day, and that's where most of my sequences come from.

I also utilize the arranger with backing harmonies to create personal live arrangements to record to MP3 format...then I play over them and sing lead. I think many cats do this.
Heh, heh .... "cats" .... I sound like a jazz guy that plays "gigs" now, huh?

#239877 - 08/12/08 05:53 PM Re: How do you define midi sequencing ?
Diki Offline

I have an ancient Mac (Quicksilver733) running Cubase VST5, a MOTU 2408mk2 audio interface. a Midex3 MIDI interface (do NOT get one of these for OSX!), a couple of UAD-1 cards and Mackie HR824mk1 monitors.

Despite it's age, it has successfully run over 36 track projects and VSTi's (I freeze as fast as possible!). Primarily, I do MIDI production and some light audio projects, so it does OK... It's close to bomb poof, and that counts a lot more than the latest gizmos, in my book...

Main keyboards are the G70, a K2500S fully loaded, and a Triton.

Basically, if you can't make a decent track with this, better gear won't help!

#239878 - 08/12/08 06:14 PM Re: How do you define midi sequencing ?
DanO1 Offline

You can have 20K in studio gear, but if you do not have a good ear and creative mind, it means nothing.
I break down creating music into 2 categorys
#1. recording #2. production.

I mentioned in a thread a while ago that I made some recordings and sent them to a professional demo person ( Laurie Z r.i.p http://lauriez.com/tributes.php)I knew...
She blasted my work. It forced me to really listen to the radio and made me really think about recording and production...

It's a shame she passed away from breast cancer before she could listen to some of my final work.
I am going to start recording again and I will always think of her when I do ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online