SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#130314 - 08/17/07 11:38 AM Tyros2 as masterkeyboard
jvb Offline

Hello,
hope someone can help with the following problem:
I own a Tyros2 and a E80 and they are placed above of each other. Due to a physical problem I barely can reach the upper board and I have no place to put them next to each other. I tried to hook up the E80 as a master but this seemed impossible. Is there a way to use the T2 as a master keyboard so the E80 will act as a "module". Someone told the only way this will work is if I replace the T2 by for instance a Motif.
Greetings, Johan

#130315 - 08/17/07 02:47 PM Re: Tyros2 as masterkeyboard
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Johan
You need to understand the Basics of Midi before you connect the 2 boards together; here are some links to get you started. http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tutr/miditutr.htm http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/studio/5821/midi-basics.html http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tutr/whatmidi.htm
Either keyboard can be used as the Master, so choose the one you feel most comfortable with.
As a Rule of thumb the default settings are, channel 1 is usually the right hand, and channel 2 is usually the left hand.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#130316 - 08/18/07 09:53 AM Re: Tyros2 as masterkeyboard
jvb Offline

Hi Bill,
thanks for your reply. I read the links and it worked. Although the T2 won't work as a master the E80 did (I probably did something wrong). Thanks again.
Greetings Johan

#130317 - 08/18/07 10:13 AM Re: Tyros2 as masterkeyboard
jwyvern Offline

Hi johan, you can have total control over what midi channels are transmitted to make Ty2 suitable as a master KB.

In fact there are preset templates onboard for various situations. Page 213 in the manual describes them.

eg. Master KBD1 "Ty2 functions as a Master KB, playing and controlling one or more tone generators or other devices, (such as a computer/sequencer)."

Similarly by default Ty2 is set up to accept control by a master KB if the incoming midi is connected to midi IN of the B port.

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 08-18-2007).]

#130318 - 08/18/07 10:37 AM Re: Tyros2 as masterkeyboard
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I would probably make the T2 the master, because the E80 won't send ANY CC00/32/PC# to external gear from the Keyboard Parts without an incredibly convoluted workaround (we are STILL waiting for Roland to address this ).

By this, I mean, it WILL send the codes for it's own internal voices, but if you have an external keyboard that needs codes that aren't already part of the E80's ROM, you have to use the workaround.

AFAIK, the T2 doesn't suffer from this.

But getting the T2 to trigger arranger actions (Variation and Fill changes, ARR on/offs, etc.) might be a LOT harder (in BOTH directions, to tell the truth), so I would recommend an FC-7 pedal to control the E80's arranger, while you trigger it from the T2's keyboard.

I hope this helps.

#130319 - 08/19/07 02:38 AM Re: Tyros2 as masterkeyboard
jvb Offline

Hi Diki,
I use the E80 as a master because the Tyros has the speakers built on. As I said it works but with the following problems.
I can't change on the E80 when used as a master to the E80 itself. The Tyros has a option to turn midi off, the E80 hasn't. So I must turn off both boards and restart. Then when I use the E80 I can't change to master board (restart again). I know my english isn't that good but I hope you understand what I mean.
Greetings, Johan

#130320 - 08/19/07 05:09 AM Re: Tyros2 as masterkeyboard
Rolman Offline

Loc: Germany
Hallo Johan,
why don't you use the EASY SETTINGS? Press
MENU-->MIDI-->=EASY SETTING. For ALL Keyboard and Style Parts you can easy switch between Local=0n/Off with ONE touch. Simultaneously all Parts will be switched between TX=Off/On. With an UPG you may link up the Midi Settings.
Greetings Peter

#130321 - 08/20/07 11:49 PM Re: Tyros2 as masterkeyboard
jvb Offline

Hi everyone,
thanks for yout answers and I finally got it working. I use the E80 as a master. and before I push the button local on/off, midi has to be canceled on the tyros with midi off. On the tyros I made a user set and adjusted channel 13 to keyboard. It worked. Again thanks,
Greetings,
Johan

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online