SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#187757 - 07/12/07 12:40 PM PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

Nice looking keyboard. Looks a little more professional. I'm happy to have a lot of the dedicated buttons back that were on previous models: Harmony On/Off, Harmonizer On/Off, Effects On/Off, DSP On/Off, DSP Variation On/Off, and some new ones: Sustain On/Off, and Mono On/Off.

Now the challenge will be to learn where the buttons are. I noticed that some of the direct access commands are different, so I there is a learning curve when you switch from the PSR3000.

The main new thing are the new voices. There are some great voices. I never had a chance to hear the Tyros II because my local Guitar Center and Sam Ash stores never carried it. Now I can see what all of the buzz was about.

But since I already own all of the Tyros II styles, there is very little new in styles that I have discovered, so that is disappointing. I remember all of the other new Yamaha's I bought had at least 10 new styles to play around with.

Another challenge will be this. All my styles on the PSR3000 are stored on the Smart Media Card. My registrations call up styles stored on this SM Card. Now that I only have USB, I will probably have to spend a lot of time editing these registrations.

I am going to look into a program at SVP World called Reg Edit or something like that.

Keys feel a little more solid. The buttons aren't as sensitive as I'm used to, and there have been several times as I play the keyboard that I press a button and nothing happens. I have to press harder.

It's an improvement over the PSR3000. It's not like the improvement from the PSR2000/2100 to the PSR3000, but I'm happy.

Beakybird

#187758 - 07/12/07 12:54 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
jwyvern Offline

Hi BeakyBird
There are (allegedly!) about 24 different/new styles on the S900

It's probably Register Memory Editor you'll need to edit the paths to the styles. Download here:
http://www.kwmusik.dk/Tyros/

John

#187759 - 07/12/07 12:55 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

Great news for this PSR3000 owner!!!

I have a gazillion styles on my Smart Media Card. I wanted to see if I transfer the style from the SM Card to a USB stick, if a registration can call up that style. IT DOES!!! Just transfer your styles to your USB stick and any registration that called up that style on your Smart Media card will now call up that style on your USB stick!

Now the challenge will be to revoice these styles so that they take advantage of the new voices.

I noticed that I haven't seen any Super Articulation voices within the styles. I wonder why?

Beakybird

#187760 - 07/12/07 12:59 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
zuki Offline

Thanks for the update on the S900 - enjoy. Care to exchange style ideas for the 3000?

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#187761 - 07/12/07 01:07 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

Thanks for the correction on the new styles.
Could someone list what the new styles are? There are a lot to go through. So far I have come across these new ones, a Straight 8 Bt, 6-8 Acoustic Pop, an Oriental Pop, 80's boy Band, and 80's EP Ballad, and a Highland Waltz.

Beakybird

#187762 - 07/12/07 01:11 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

Hi Zuki! What are you referring to when you say Style ideas? - because I am always ready to exchange ideas.

Beakybird

Just found a new style Rhumba Flamenco #1.

#187763 - 07/12/07 02:52 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

There's enough ear candy with these new sounds to make it a lot of fun.

There are two new features I discovered. When you are choosing voices, there is a dedicated menu button option called "Voice Set" which lets you edit the parameters of the voice. There is also a button option called "INFO". This provides info on the voice including how to take advantage of Super Articulation sounds, etc.

I noticed a problem with the S. Art pedal steel. It is cool that when you use the pitch bend, only the bottom note bends, but nothing bends at all when you use the pitch bend while the sustain pedal is on. That's no good. I don't see any advantage with that.

Beakybird

#187764 - 07/12/07 04:19 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Anonymous
Unregistered

HI BEAKYBIRD
would you please send for me the s900 internal styles.
many thanks
jimmy
my email jammystyles@yahoo.com

#187765 - 07/12/07 05:51 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
firehead Offline

Loc: thornwood, n.y. , usa
Hey beakybird - good luck with your new S900. Any chance of getting the Tyros II styles for my PSR 3000?

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
Nice looking keyboard. Looks a little more professional. I'm happy to have a lot of the dedicated buttons back that were on previous models: Harmony On/Off, Harmonizer On/Off, Effects On/Off, DSP On/Off, DSP Variation On/Off, and some new ones: Sustain On/Off, and Mono On/Off.

Now the challenge will be to learn where the buttons are. I noticed that some of the direct access commands are different, so I there is a learning curve when you switch from the PSR3000.

The main new thing are the new voices. There are some great voices. I never had a chance to hear the Tyros II because my local Guitar Center and Sam Ash stores never carried it. Now I can see what all of the buzz was about.

But since I already own all of the Tyros II styles, there is very little new in styles that I have discovered, so that is disappointing. I remember all of the other new Yamaha's I bought had at least 10 new styles to play around with.

Another challenge will be this. All my styles on the PSR3000 are stored on the Smart Media Card. My registrations call up styles stored on this SM Card. Now that I only have USB, I will probably have to spend a lot of time editing these registrations.

I am going to look into a program at SVP World called Reg Edit or something like that.

Keys feel a little more solid. The buttons aren't as sensitive as I'm used to, and there have been several times as I play the keyboard that I press a button and nothing happens. I have to press harder.

It's an improvement over the PSR3000. It's not like the improvement from the PSR2000/2100 to the PSR3000, but I'm happy.

Beakybird

#187766 - 07/12/07 09:11 PM Re: PSR S900 First impressions
Beakybird Offline

More impressions. Just so it's clear, there are no TALK ON/OFF or VOCAL HARMONY ON/OFF buttons on this keyboard like there was on the PSR2000/2100.

Also, there is no Style Creator button anymore. You have to go through the function menu.

I have also discovered that there are less DIRECT ACCESS options. Direct Access allows you to press one button (DIRECT ACCESS) and then when you press practically any other button you go into a sub menu. Well there were a lot of options on the PSR3000 to go directly into different submenus and specific places within a submenu. There are a lot less options with this keyboard, so that is kind of a drag. Hopefully, they can fix this in the future.

The new voices sound very nice.

The operating system is very similar to the PSR3000. If you have a registration that calls up a style on the PSR3000, it will call up the same style on the PSR S900.

It's going to take me a long time to revoice my registrations to take advantage of the new voices.

Beakybird

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online