SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#167666 - 04/17/07 07:28 AM Are there different USB flash drive speeds? I need a good one for quick loading.
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I have custom styles on my T2 Harddrive, but it takes a little too long for them to load - it normally takes at least a second in which time I've missed the beat, and therefore the measure.

I also have a usb flash drive which is a bit faster but still not optimal. Is there such thing as a super fast usb flash drive? It would be great if it worked as quickly as the internal T2 flash.

Thanks, Chony

#167667 - 04/17/07 08:34 AM Re: Are there different USB flash drive speeds? I need a good one for quick loading.
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
On my PSR3000 Styles from USB Flash drive load as fast as the built in styles. My USB flash is a standard USB 1.
If one style is playing and I select another style from my USB Flash Drive it loads ready for beat one of the next bar.

Interesting that you need to swap styles whilst the board is playing because the style loading will auto take the tempo of the present style being played, unless that is what you require it to do.

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 04-17-2007).]

#167668 - 04/17/07 08:45 AM Re: Are there different USB flash drive speeds? I need a good one for quick loading.
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
Chony: The T2 uses USB 1.1. Not UBS 2.0. This is a hardware config and can not/will not be updatable via firmware (I have previously confirmed this with Yamaha). Therefore, the faster USB keys will work on a T2 (they are backwards compatiable) but they will NOT work faster on a T2.

Do you have a harddrive in the T2? Does that work faster? I have a harddrive. I don't see a lag on load times. But I don't have large custom style files. I would be more than happy to test one on a USB and the harddrive for you and report back performance.

#167669 - 04/17/07 07:12 PM Re: Are there different USB flash drive speeds? I need a good one for quick loading.
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Chony,
I actually use a usb multicard reader & memory cards, sd,compactflash etc with my psr 1500.
I don't have loading time problems. I tried it with registrations ie 1 style per registration . Played thru flawlessly.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chony:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#167670 - 04/17/07 10:59 PM Re: Are there different USB flash drive speeds? I need a good one for quick loading.
chony Offline

Thank you everyone for replying.

I play Hassidic and Klezmer music which is normally played at high speed - 160bpm and up. My styles are extremely live, and in the course of a single song, I could change styles 3 or 4 times. For example, instead of having 1 style with 4 variations, I have 1 style with 20 variations and in order to get to those other variations, I change beats. That's why I need it to be extremely quick and agile.

The HD is deffinitely too slow; the usb flash drive is deffinitely better - I was just wondering if there was an even faster alternative. Unfortunately, my onboard flash drive is already full with other styles.

I guess I'll use the USB.

Thank you all for your responses.
Chony

#167671 - 04/18/07 10:21 AM Re: Are there different USB flash drive speeds? I need a good one for quick loading.
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I'm surprised that a USB drive is faster then a hard drive.
Starkeeper

#167672 - 04/18/07 01:05 PM Re: Are there different USB flash drive speeds? I need a good one for quick loading.
chony Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
I'm surprised that a USB drive is faster then a hard drive.
Starkeeper

Flash is faster and more reliable - and more expensive - than HD.

That's why the 8mb flash ipod (nano), is the same price as the 30gb ipod video.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online