SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#140235 - 12/11/06 04:43 PM Bought Logitech Z-5500 just for the subwoofer
Beakybird Offline

I am currently using two JBL Eon10s. They're the only speakers I have. Recently, I have had some important jobs with a lot of people, and I just don't feel like I'm getting the low end I need to get people up dancing.

After readiing Scott Langloff's [sic?] post about the Eon10s and the Z-5500 subwoofer, I decided to give it a try. I got it for about $255 including shipping from Dell.

It seemed like all of the professional subwoofers are outrageously heavy and more powerful than I need.

Do you think I made good purchase for my needs? I read somewhere that the subwoofer has a handle. Is this true? How much does it add to the setup time to add just the subwoofer? Is there a bag that is a good fit?

Thanks in advance,

Beakybird

#140236 - 12/11/06 05:01 PM Re: Bought Logitech Z-5500 just for the subwoofer
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Larry,

The sub will blow the walls down, it's 188-watts RMS and 375-watts peak power coming from a 10-inch, long-throw speaker. Keep in mind that you not only have the standard volume settings, but 11 additional boost settings, which is far more than you'll ever need. And, if you use the system in conjuction with the satellites, you'll be pleasantly surprized at what you hear.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#140237 - 12/11/06 05:06 PM Re: Bought Logitech Z-5500 just for the subwoofer
batty Offline

Loc: Kingscliff, NSW, Australia
Beaky,
The Z-5500 sub is a good choice if you just want to beef up the bottom end of the Eons. The sub doesn't have a handle - it is basically a cube shape with 4 flat sides, speaker at the front and electronics at the back. If you want a handle to carry it around you have either got to add one yourself, get a carry bag that fits or buy one of those computer carry strap handles (I think there is a reference somewhere on SZ to these).

I decided to 'upgrade' the box itself by adding carpet, corner protectors and handles etc. You can check out some photos here
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/011419.html

Kind regards,
Mark

#140238 - 12/11/06 05:08 PM Re: Bought Logitech Z-5500 just for the subwoofer
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
Beakybird

I would also be interested in how the Logitech woofer sounds with your 10" speakers.
I'm also using two 10" speakers and am considering a woofer that isn't heavy.

Peter

#140239 - 12/11/06 05:50 PM Re: Bought Logitech Z-5500 just for the subwoofer
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Beakybird,
I just finished writing a letter to Scott L. on the same subject. Two JBL 10’s on stands with a Z5500 sub. Tomorrow I am going to try my JBL’s with my Z2300 sub. If it sounds good I will buy the Z5500.

Please let me know how it sounds. (If you get it)

John C.

#140240 - 12/11/06 05:54 PM Re: Bought Logitech Z-5500 just for the subwoofer
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You'll find the carry straps at www.cyberguys.com

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#140241 - 12/11/06 08:33 PM Re: Bought Logitech Z-5500 just for the subwoofer
Beakybird Offline

Thanks guys! Where do you get the corner protectors?

Beakybird

#140242 - 12/11/06 08:38 PM Re: Bought Logitech Z-5500 just for the subwoofer
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:

After readiing Scott Langloff's [sic?] post

Beakybird

Hi Beakybird

How did you know I had a temperature today? Anyway, now you can see why I decided to call my web site ScottLMusic.com.

I think you are going to be very pleasantly surprized when you hear that sucker. That sub just really kicks out. It only weighs 34 lbs and is built quite well.

I got a Pacsport 25" Rolling Duffle Bag from Kmart for $24.99. Things have changed with Kmart and Sears merging. I don't know if they have it anymore, but, here is a link showing the one I got. It costs a bit more now, but I can tell you it fits like a glove and is easy to haul. I was setting up for a Christmas party for a group one of my students was in. She was in her 70's and had a very light frame. She had it in her head she wanted to help me set up. So she grabbed the rolling duffle bag with the z5500 sub in it, and she went into the hall like a bat out of hell. It will also fit a JBL Eon 10. The side pockets are great, but all I use them for is for the remote control and a spare cord. I leave the control box attached to the sub. It fits inside the duffle fine also. I don't use the top pocket near the velcro handle, so mine doesn't stick out as far on top as the pic in this link:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=1582035

I also like Mark's carpet job. That would be my only other choice as it wouldn't take much knocking around to chip the finish on it. Only thing is without the duffle you'll have to unscrew and screw the cable in and out of the sub everytime you set up and tear down. So to me the duffle is a good way to go.

All you need to do is to plug the sub into your headphone jack. Believe me, I tried many, many ways of doing this and this works great.

On the Tyros I used a stereo to mono 1/4" adaptor jack as I understand that the headphone jack is actually mono. Either way on the Tyros it put out more volume than using a stereo adaptor.

I suggest setting the sub setting to max and then use the master volume to adjust. What works real good is using the remote control to go out where the audience will be and listen to a demo that you've recorded. You can then use the remote to set it to how it will sound best to the audience. In some cases it may sound on the loud side sitting next to you.

Enjoy
Scott

http://ScottLMusic.com

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 12-11-2006).]

#140243 - 12/12/06 10:19 AM Re: Bought Logitech Z-5500 just for the subwoofer
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
Thanks guys! Where do you get the corner protectors?

Beakybird

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=262-833

BTW ... I also did the 'cabinet carpet' job and use the computer carying strap on the Z-5500 sub ... works great ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 12-12-2006).]

#140244 - 12/22/06 10:17 AM Re: Bought Logitech Z-5500 just for the subwoofer
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Beakybird

Was wondering if you received the unit yet and what your thoughts were?

Best
Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online