SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#109237 - 09/12/06 07:38 AM PSR 2100 and Tyros 1 - Maybe I'm loosing my mind?
doctorJ Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi I have had an PSR 2001 for the past 3 years, still an amature, some minor gigs but getting into it. I have a great sound system hooked up the KB to the subwoofer of the Logitech Z-2300 with 2 Yorkville 100wt commercial type speakers. Great Sound. I just play the styles that came with the KB and recently downloaded the Tyros 1 styles converted for the PSR 2100.

TOday i had the opportunity of being offered a Tyros 1 in mint condition for a difference of approx $1000US. So far so good. However, to be totally honest; except for the odd mega voices and a few different styles - my PSR 2100 is still quite impressive....is it me? am I loosing it?

I once read the PSR2100 was a great KB built by Yamaha. I also sampled the PSR3000 again with the usb internet features didn't see much difference. I cater to an audience over 45 - I think its all in HOW to put on a show not the what you have to show. Maybe I'm wrong or perhaps I did'nt setup the Tyros 1 correctly.

I respect and vaule the comments and feedback from these great forums and would appreciate an honest opinion. I just was not blow over by the difference in the Tyros 1 vs by PSR 2100.

Regards, Dr. J

P.s. Also posted this on SVP World & PSR Tutorial

#109238 - 09/12/06 08:43 AM Re: PSR 2100 and Tyros 1 - Maybe I'm loosing my mind?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorJ:
I just was not blow over by the difference in the Tyros 1 vs my PSR 2100 . . . I also sampled the PSR3000 again with the usb internet features didn't see much difference.

Doc: I think you just answered 'your own' question. Keep enjoying your PSR2100, and appreciate the $ you've saved as well. - Scott

#109239 - 09/12/06 09:21 AM Re: PSR 2100 and Tyros 1 - Maybe I'm loosing my mind?
JimP Offline

Loc: Richfield, Ohio USA
I agree with Scott. Never purchase a keyboard based on what other people think. Make your decision based on what you think. If you do not hear a significant difference, do not upgrade.

#109240 - 09/12/06 10:41 AM Re: PSR 2100 and Tyros 1 - Maybe I'm loosing my mind?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
There are some big operational differences.
On the Tyros, you have all the intros and endings available without going to another screen.
The keys are better.
The Vocal Harmonizer is better.
The display is larger and better, and adjustable.
There are 3 pedal inputs.
There are two additional assignable outputs.
There is more polyphony.
There are more options for e.q. and sound management.
There is more user memory.
It will accept an internal hard drive.
It does have more and better sounds.
The Operating System is SOFTWARE upgradeable.
These are just a few things that come to mind immediately. I'm sure there are more.
In my opinion, the Tyros is well worth the difference.
DonM

#109241 - 09/13/06 03:33 AM Re: PSR 2100 and Tyros 1 - Maybe I'm loosing my mind?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
DonM is quite right but you have to ask which of the feature are useful to you.

I was using a PSR2000.

I upgraded to a PSR3000 because I couldn't justify the further expense to a Tyros 1; the sounds on the 3k are very good.

The main driver for the upgrade was the use of a Smartcard rather than the floppy drive; the ability to use USB storage as well as the quality of the sound confirmed the deal.

If my 3k was crushed under a lorry I'd by another one.

Since the 3k came out they've unleashed the Tyros 2. I've seen a demo and played the beast 2 and consider it to be a considerable improvement on the Tyros 1. If I was given some money by an unknown relative I'd be extremely tempted to buy a T2, and I couldn't say that about the Tyros 1!

#109242 - 09/13/06 10:59 AM Re: PSR 2100 and Tyros 1 - Maybe I'm loosing my mind?
Zleepy Offline

Loc: Finland
That's why I bought 3k originally

Oh well, T1 would have been nice but too costy for me. 3k fitted about in my budget so I got it and never had any regrets.

In fact 3k fits me so good that the 3k successor has to be extremely much better and little cheaper before I need to think changing my board. Of course untill I try it for the first time

#109243 - 09/30/06 08:22 AM Re: PSR 2100 and Tyros 1 - Maybe I'm loosing my mind?
doctorJ Offline

Loc: Canada
Thanks for all the valuable feedback, much appreciated.

Dr. J

#109244 - 09/30/06 08:50 AM Re: PSR 2100 and Tyros 1 - Maybe I'm loosing my mind?
Tapas Online   content

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Hi DoctorJ,

You have a lot of time and money invested on your Yamaha PSR2100. You know this arranger inside out. It is a great arranger and has given you and your friends 3 years of trouble free entertainment.

Keep it for now.

Wait till next year when Yamaha releases the new PSR3100 – the successor to the current PSR3000. This will inherit most of the voices, styles, and features of the Tyros2, but repackaged at a much lower price point.

At that point in time, you can review the PSR3100 and make an informed decision whether you would like to trade in your trusted PSR2100.

Tapas

#109245 - 09/30/06 12:16 PM Re: PSR 2100 and Tyros 1 - Maybe I'm loosing my mind?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Doc,

As Don Mason outlines, the PSR-3000 is light years ahead of the 2100 and offers lots of great advantages.

However, as you well know, the keyboard is no better than the player. If you are comfortable with the 2100 and your audiences like the product you provide--stick with it.

My wife says the mind was the second thing to go. Don't worry about loosing it!

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online