SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#152264 - 06/25/06 07:46 PM Tyros 2 / USB Question
SBPC Offline

Loc: Goleta, CA, USA
I’ve run into a problem trying to use a SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB Flash Drive
(512 MB) with a Tyros 2. I’ve had no problem using an SD memory card reader/writer connected into the USB port of the T2. So I know the T2 USB port is working OK.

It seems that the SanDisk Flash Drive is factory partitioned and appears as two drives to a computer. In fact it shows up both as a drive G and drive H on my PC. When connected to the USB port of the T2, it is also seen as two drives, USB1 and USB2. When I try to format USB1, I end up getting a blue screen and having to reboot the T2 system. If I try to reboot USB2, the T2 tells me there is no device present, even though it gives an indication that one is present by assigning it a USB number. This is the second USB Flash Drive of this type I’ve tried and I’ve gotten the same results both times.

I’ve formatted the drive on my PC but have not figured out how to remove the partition, if that is even possible on that device. Has anyone else experienced what I’ve described above? I spoke to Scott Yee a few days ago and he assured me that he has a number of Flash Drives, including the SanDisk Cruzer and they all work just fine with the T2. He did allow as that he may have reformatted the drive and possibly gotten rid of the partition. I was unable to accomplish that. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Paul C.

#152265 - 06/25/06 08:26 PM Re: Tyros 2 / USB Question
Dnj Offline

#152266 - 06/25/06 09:40 PM Re: Tyros 2 / USB Question
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Paul,

To remove the extra Partition and re-format the Sandisk Cruzer as FAT32:

1) Right Click "MY Computer" and select "Manage"
2) Under Computer Management, select "Disk Management"
3) Select your 'SanDisk Cruzer' device.
4) Right Mouse click the right most partition and select "Delete Partition". and then create a new ONE (only one).
5) Now reformat it as Fat32.

This should now solve your problem, and allow your Tyros2 to recognize your SanDisk Cruzer. Good luck. Let us know how this goes.

Scott

#152267 - 06/26/06 08:07 AM Re: Tyros 2 / USB Question
SBPC Offline

Thanks for the responses, guys. I must have been out of town or something when Donny was experiencing the same things I went through. I don’t recall reading that thread before. I took my first Cruzer back as well. When Scott told me he’s gotten an identical one to work, I went back out and got another Cruzer (on sale again) and experienced the same things all over again. Then in desperation, I posted last evening.

Scott, I followed your procedure exactly, but when I get to the step that calls for “Delete Partition” that action is not available to me (it’s one of those faint gray guys that means it is not an option). I’ve earlier tried some deletions and re-formatting on this Cruzer, so maybe a few things changed that affect the partition deletion option – I don’t know.

Why can’t all of these things work out of the box as the Staples unit did for Donny?
(I guess that’s more of a criticism of the Tyros OS than the flash drive, because the unit works on my PC). I’d like to give this thing one more try before punting again. Scott, maybe you and I have to chat on the phone one more time.
Paul C.

#152268 - 06/26/06 08:10 AM Re: Tyros 2 / USB Question
Dnj Offline

As a side note......at this time my STAPELS "RELAY" 512mb Thumb Drive is still working perfectly right out of the box.

#152269 - 06/26/06 08:42 AM Re: Tyros 2 / USB Question
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
[B

5) Now reformat it as Fat32.

Scott [/B]

I believe it should be formatted as just FAT, not FAT32 in your computer.

Also...have you tried re-formatting directly in the keyboard?

Eddie

#152270 - 06/26/06 11:04 AM Re: Tyros 2 / USB Question
SBPC Offline

Yes Eddie, I did try formatting on the keyboard. That's when the Tyros freezes up and gives the blue screen with the error message that Donny described earlier. I'm trying to get hold of the ScanDisk technical support folks to see if they have any suggestions. It appears that the Tyros OS can't deal with the Cruzer micro flash drive as it is configured by the manufacturer. As I wrote earlier, my PC has no problem reading and writing to the micro drive. Scott Yee phoned me a bit earlier and suggested a call to ScanDisk. I'm trying to get hold of them. If I can't get where I want to be soon, I'll likely return this unit and look for one like Donny got from Staples. It really shouldn't be this hard, should it?

#152271 - 06/26/06 11:31 AM Re: Tyros 2 / USB Question
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
This is no help at all, I know, but I have four SansDisk Cruzers (1 256 and 3 1 gig) and all work(ed) perfectly "right out the box" in the T2. I dont know what this means other than apparently you shouldn't have to do anything to the drive to get it to work. I hate it when new stuff doesn't work consistently from one person to another. Stumped!!!

chas

#152272 - 06/26/06 12:06 PM Re: Tyros 2 / USB Question
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Very perplexing. Let us know what the outcome is if you can reach SanDisc.

I have 2 SanDisc memory sticks that worked just fine out of the box.

Eddie

#152273 - 06/26/06 01:08 PM Re: Tyros 2 / USB Question
Dnj Offline

eddie you dont have a T2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online