SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#190920 - 04/21/06 04:59 PM Is Roland G-70 much superior than PSR-3000?
Telmo Offline

Loc: Brazil - South America
I wonder if those of you who have played these two arrangers, G-70 and Psr3000, apart from the fact of 76 keys and 61 keys and key action of the G-70 being much better, if the styles which come in G-70 is really superior in comparison to the Psr3000.A music store manager offered me a good trade in my Psr3000 to get the G-70. I never played the G-70 and regarding styles and user-friendly, can this Roland arranger beat the Psr3000? Or should I keep and be happy with my Psr3000? Any comments appreciated. Thanks, Teo.

#190921 - 04/21/06 05:43 PM Re: Is Roland G-70 much superior than PSR-3000?
Dnj Offline

What did he consider a good trade in offer?
What is he selling the G70 for, just curious?

To make a broad statement as stated "can this Roland arranger beat the Psr3000?"
is rediculous IMO, this isnt a competition & before you shell out all that money on something you might not be happy with..... I would go play the G70 for a few hours or a few days in the store through YOUR SOUND SYSTEM... and with great consideration, going thru all the features one by one.. LISTEN to it Yourself and make a decision based on YOUR Personal Needs, no one elses.......as for styles? they can be converted to suit most KB's with great success. Also talk to Tony W here on the SZ he just bought a G70 & should have some serious thoughts too. http://www.rolandkeyboardclub.com/v/prod_detail.php?id=218&pagina=1

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-21-2006).]

#190922 - 04/22/06 03:25 AM Re: Is Roland G-70 much superior than PSR-3000?
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I have played both. The sounds that i think are better on the 3000 are brass, saxes, flutes, strings and guitars. The G70 has better choir voices. Both have good trumpets and synth sounds. Piano sounds i think the 3000 has an edge. Stylewise the 3000 has that "in your face feel" the g70 does not. The g70 has better keys, better vocal harmony. The 3000 is easier to use live because it does not have a touch screen. The g70 has a far better 16 track sequencer than the 3000

#190923 - 04/22/06 03:53 PM Re: Is Roland G-70 much superior than PSR-3000?
Telmo Offline

Loc: Brazil - South America
Thanks a lot pals, you are right. I better keep the PSR3000, besides I would have to pay $2.000,along with the Psr.As for the weak key-action, I'm getting used to it. Thanks for the feedback. Telmo.

#190924 - 04/22/06 07:56 PM Re: Is Roland G-70 much superior than PSR-3000?
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi Telmo
Like Donny says I have just purchased the G70. My last arranger was the Tyros and before that the 9000pro so I was pretty used to Yamaha.

I have to be honest and tell you that there are things from the yamaha I miss greatly. For ease of use I thought the yammies would never be beaten but the G70 is a synch to use. Far easier than yamaha to set up and tweak how you want it and to save your settings.

I know that live players tend to dismiss the touchscreen but I find it amazingly easy to use and very intuitive. I don't understand the criticism about touchscreens but then I don't play live so maybe I'm talking out my ....well whatever

I LOVE yamaha's styles and sounds and don't dismiss them for a second but if I had a choice between the 3000 or the G70 I would not hesitate in choosing the G70.

Personally when I auditioned the PSR3000 I loathed how it looked, it's action and how it sounded (when not set up through outboard speakers) so I bought the Tyros instead. I have to qualify that by saying that this was personal (and no offence is intended to you or anyone else who owns the 3000) but being more than a little superficial the look of the board was what put me off more than anything else. It looks like a toy to my eyes.

The G70 at least looks like it cost the arm and the leg that it does

The G70 seems to come in for quite a bit of criticism and it is true that it does not sound it's best out of the box. Then again neither did the Tyros in my opinion. Better than the G70 out of he box maybe but I still had to tweak it to make it sound ok to my ears.

One significant difference between the G70 (again in my opinion) and the Yammies is that Yamaha styles sound like a studio recording. Excellent styles but just a little bit too perfect. The G70 styles sound a little more 'raw' and very 'live'.

There is not as much support either out there for G70 (at least compare to yammie arrangers) but then not as many people bought the Roland! Have a look at the G70 users group (Denmark) It is an excellent site with demo's and a forum where you can learn much more about the G70 than I could ever tell you.

The thing I love more than anything else about the G70 is the keyfeel. Amazing. I thought the keys on the 9000pro were excellent but this board beats them. The G70 may have it's faults but I am willing to compromise in no small part due to those keys! That is how good they are!

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will do my best to answer them for you.
Best wishes (even if you keep the 3000 )
Tony

------------------
www.tonywmusic.co.uk

#190925 - 04/23/06 12:16 AM Re: Is Roland G-70 much superior than PSR-3000?
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
One more thing i remembered is that lots of people dont like the method Roland use for fill ins on the g70. 3000 is better in this aspect.

#190926 - 04/23/06 03:55 AM Re: Is Roland G-70 much superior than PSR-3000?
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Quote:
Originally posted by rolandfan:
One more thing i remembered is that lots of people dont like the method Roland use for fill ins on the g70. 3000 is better in this aspect.

I agree 100%!!
This is one of the things I am missing most from the yamaha. Like anything else though you get used to what you have and whilst the roland is different in this respect it is surprising how quickly you learn to adapt. However I still think yamaha do have a better method for intro/endigs and fill alocation.

Mind you I do like the new keyless entry system on the mercedes but I would not sell my Jag to buy one........flippant maybe but it all comes down to the same thing...you pays your money and makes your choice.
best wishes
Tony

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online