Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#194067 - 02/09/06 06:56 PM Buying my first keyboard
retal Offline

Loc: Tel-aviv, Israel
Hi everyone,
I'm kinda new here
i've sit now for hour and half, reading some last time posts about keyboards and so on.

I'm new to keyboards at all, i wanna learn how to play but i take it seriously because i really love it and always had just couldn't efford it.

So basically i'm having doubts between:
* PSR-3000 (my main choice) - heard its easy keyboard to use (like a all-in-one tool)
* Roland Fantom X6/X7/X8
* Roland G-70

i would be very happy if the PSR-3000 was 88-key (like RD-700SX)

few reasons why i started thinking about the Roland Fantom/G-70 because its upgradeable got this SRX slots, also got better "style and looks" and it has more keys(X7/X8/G-70)
also looks like roland has abit more expirience with keyboards than yamaha which looks abit kiddie...

anyway, im really new to this so ill be really happy to get some tips from pro's to "arrange my brain"

Thanks in advance

#194068 - 02/10/06 01:48 AM Re: Buying my first keyboard
to the genesys Offline

If you are really wanting to play and play well with good technique, and price is not a problem, the G70 will be a very good choice. It has 76 keys and the keyfeel is good for serious playing IMO. It has alot of sounds and styles that could serve you well as you start off and if you ever want to gig, you could still use it.

The PSR 3000
(or any other 61 key keyboard with a keyfeel that is not very good) is good for experienced players who are not concerned with playing technique but just the economics of their situation. The PSR 3000 is a good entertainment tool for just playing 1, 2 or 3 fingered chords in the left and a simple melody in the right (and there is nothing wrong with that).

It really depends on how far as a keyboard player you want to get. If you want to really have relatively good technique and develop a good type of touch as a keyboard player, then starting off with the G70 would be a good keyboard for you.

If you just want to do chords in the left and melody in right then the PSR 3000 would be OK.
HTH
P.S With the G70 you can do every thing that the PSR 3000 can do including playing chords in the left hand and melody in the right. You would not be able to do that with the Roland Fantom 6, 7 or 8. The G70 and the Roland Fantom 7 and 8 has a much better keyboard feel for serious playing.

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 02-10-2006).]

#194069 - 02/10/06 03:11 AM Re: Buying my first keyboard
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
Retal, you say you are new to keyboards does that mean you can play the piano but wish to change? Being new to keyboards you will find that there is so much to learn and enjoy, and the Yamaha is very easy to play compared to most.The 3000 has had some excellent reviews as also the tyros1&2 which are the next models up.The learning curve on some boards takes a long time to learn. My opinion is the psr 3000, because its cheaper, easier to operate, there are loads of free styles you can add , and there are a lot of good forum sites whereas you can get advice quickly, also quite a few pro,s use this board so it is popular, and there are a lot of yamaha dealers. If you buy one and later you may decide to go for something better the experience you will have will make it so much easier. Its always easier to trade up than trade down. But as is always said try it out for yourself , we can guide you in the right direction ,but you are the one that has to decide.mike

#194070 - 02/10/06 03:50 AM Re: Buying my first keyboard
retal Offline

Hey .. thanks for all the info

I've checked out prices for G-70, i'll never be able to efford it its much more expensive than the PSR-3000

and nardoni2002, i played once but i douno chords and tabs or anything like that so basically i'm as good as anyone else who ever played piano in my whole life.. hehe if it helps im a fast computer keyboard typer..

i can buy the PSR3000 at $1500 in my country.. israel.
I'll buy the PSR3000 because as u said its easy for learning and got alots of support for me and thats great as a starter, though i douno if its tradeable in my country after you buy it, and i have also no idea if its expandable like roland's with their srx slots. but anyway ill buy the psr3000 in the next week with the ac adapter and a stand, but without any footage pedals or somt

many thanks

[This message has been edited by retal (edited 02-10-2006).]

#194071 - 02/10/06 03:53 AM Re: Buying my first keyboard
retal Offline

[This message has been edited by retal (edited 02-10-2006).]

#194072 - 02/10/06 04:59 AM Re: Buying my first keyboard
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The PSR-3000 is an excellent choice. It is used by many of the top OMB entertainers in the U.S., and you'll find more user support, and third-party style files for Yamaha keyboards than all others combined.

After purchasing the PSR-3000, go to PSR Tutorial and go through the lessons section. You'll find a wealth of solid information that will guide you through the keyboard's operating system with ease. Additionally, most forum members will be able to answer any questions that may arrise if you have problems.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#194073 - 02/10/06 05:27 AM Re: Buying my first keyboard
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Retal,
What does, "basically i'm as good as anyone else who ever played piano in my whole life" mean?
Are you saying you have played piano all your life? If you have been playing piano all your life, then you most likely will not like the feel of any non-weighted keyboard including the PSR3000. If you are completely new to keyboards, the the PSR3000 will be great.
The PSR3000 is NOT expandable via external sound cards like the G70.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 02-10-2006).]

#194074 - 02/10/06 05:34 AM Re: Buying my first keyboard
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
"basically i'm as good as anyone else who ever played piano in my whole life"

Starkeeper,

I believe this was a typo and should have read NEVER instead of EVER!

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#194075 - 02/10/06 05:36 AM Re: Buying my first keyboard
retal Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
Retal,
What does, "basically i'm as good as anyone else who ever played piano in my whole life" mean?
Are you saying you have played piano all your life? If you have been playing piano all your life, then you most likely will not like the feel of any non-weighted keyboard including the PSR3000. If you are completely new to keyboards, the the PSR3000 will be great.
The PSR3000 is NOT expandable via external sound cards like the G70.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 02-10-2006).]

my mistake... i ment i never really played in a piano, i did here and there, but i have 0 knowledge/expirience regarding to that field... ill buy now the psr-3000 then maybe when ill be good enough ill wanna feel the touch of a weighted keyboard keys

#194076 - 02/10/06 06:09 AM Re: Buying my first keyboard
retal Offline

Btw... I've wanted also an advice about learning, should I take a private teacher to teach me Piano basics and learn some known creations so I'll practice my hands and fingers and learn chords well and so on?

Regards

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online