SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#166412 - 09/04/05 04:19 PM Problem with Tyros - Can anyone help
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
I have a serious problem with my Tyros - If anyone can help or suggest anything I would be very grateful.

When I power on the keyboard I get the following message almost immediately at the top of the initial Yamaha screen:

"Improper Shutdown! Backup data and/or uerfiles have been lost"

The screen then clears and a plain blue background appears with the following text:

Unexpected error
Turn off the Power and on again
hisysdwn.c/133/8C258926

Obviously I have tried to power up again and again but always get the same mesage.

I re-loaded the operating system (all 14 disks) which completed succesfully but at the end I still got the same error message.

I also ran the diagnostics (by holding down the Direct Access button when switching on)which after going through all the checks gave the following results

Main Boot
Sub Boot
Main Prog.........1.4 OK
Sub Prog..........1.0 OK
Bmp...............1.0 OK
Style.............1.0 OK
Voice Parameter...1.0 OK
Preset............1.0 OK
Font..............1.0 OK
Wnn...............1.0 OK
Wave..............1.0 OK

The error message first appeared as I was starting the Tyros up in Bulk USB mode. I was wondering if I momentarily lifted my finger ifrom the Music Finder button while the system was starting. If any of you guys use this mode for fast file transfer then I advise you to take care.

Thank goodness I still have my Ketron XD3 which I can use with my old dad's Technics 6500 as a keyboard controller for my gigs.

I will call Yamaha tommorow and the local engineer but I just know it's gonna take a while to fix this.

Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhh

KFingers.

[This message has been edited by KFingers (edited 09-04-2005).]

#166413 - 09/04/05 05:01 PM Re: Problem with Tyros - Can anyone help
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Have you tried starting again in usb mode?

#166414 - 09/04/05 06:47 PM Re: Problem with Tyros - Can anyone help
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I would try a factory reset. Turn of the kb. Hold down the highest white note which is C. While holding it down turn on the kb. My bet is this corrects it. Let me know, I'd be curious to find out.

Best
Scott

#166415 - 09/04/05 09:54 PM Re: Problem with Tyros - Can anyone help
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
I learn long ago that Yamaha products like the Electones, PSRs, Clavinovas have a "test mode". This will test the LEDs, Contact in buttons, tone generator, EQ, Amps, etc..... simply,
Hold the C# chord (C#-E-G#)in the second octave while turning on the instrument, to press every button to be check, for the midi test you have to conecto a midi cable from the in to the out...I hope it helps...that may tell you what is wrong before you take it to have it then with the start button activate the check on feature that will display in screen, (like LED check) in witch you have service....I hope it helps you.

------------------
mdorantes

#166416 - 09/05/05 01:31 AM Re: Problem with Tyros - Can anyone help
KFingers Offline

Thanks for your suggestions guys - My feeling is that the user memory has become "screwed up" (technical term here in the UK - lol) which may just be garbled data stored in there or actual chip failure!!

I looked everywhere on the net yesterday to try and find a hard reset for the Tyros but hopefully now that Scott L has told me how I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will work.

I will try all your suggestions when I have finished work here in a few hours and will keep you guys posted.

You know, it's ironic tha I have had Ketron/Solton products now continuously for the past 11 years and have never had a single problem with them. I've had the Tyros for almost a year and had 2 key contact problems and now this - Just when I was getting excited about the new Tyros this sort of thing shakes your faith in their products.

Thanks all for your help - Keith

#166417 - 09/05/05 07:13 AM Re: Problem with Tyros - Can anyone help
KFingers Offline

Yippee............It now works thanks to
Mdorantes. I owe you a big wet sloppy kiss!!! - It took a bit of trial and error as well but I eventually got the Tyros to power on again.

In case any other Tyros owners get the same problem, this is what you do:

Hold down a C# chord in the second octave (C# F G#) to enter test mode.

Use the Tempo + key to page through all he tests until you get to the penultimate page. This is easy as you just go right to the end (Exit Test) and then back up one page using the Tempo minus key.

The page is called Factory Set and to activate it you press the accompianment start button. The reset to Factory Setup is instantaneous and you can then page forward and exit the test mode.

You dont have to perform any of the tests if you dont want to but there are some 80 of these and would be useful to make a note of them if you have a specific problem with the Tyros in future.

Of course I have lost all my user settings but most of these have now been restored as I had backed them up to my PC.

What I hadn't are the changed and saved vocal harmony user set, My Favourites in the Muic Finder and some sytem user setups for EQ, Noisegate and compression etc.

The Yamaha sites were a waste of time and effort - I found the site which lists all the hard factory reset instructions for all Yamaha musical instruments - Guess which ones were missing. Yes, both Tyros and PSR3000.

My local engineer got back to me and he had been on to Yamaha UK to see why or how my problem had occured. Apparantly, this is exactly what happens if you power off the pc without first de-activating the Tyros in the system tray on the PC!!!!

So - the moral is BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN USING USB BULK MODE.

Regards - Keith

#166418 - 09/05/05 12:02 PM Re: Problem with Tyros - Can anyone help
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Keith,

I posted the test procedure for both the Tyros and PSR-3000 on this site, SVP-World and PSR-Tutorial about 8 months ago. It's a great feature that really shows every aspect of your keyboard and how it is functioning.

Glad things worked out for you,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#166419 - 09/05/05 12:25 PM Re: Problem with Tyros - Can anyone help
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I have to say that's one feature I really liked about Yamaha arrangers. When I had my PSR-550 I had all the test codes for it. It was fun checking all that stuff out. There was one test I always played with to freak out my wife. You could run a test and turn on EVERY LED light on the panel. My 550 lit up like a Christmas tree with that test.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#166420 - 09/06/05 06:30 AM Re: Problem with Tyros - Can anyone help
KFingers Offline

Thanks Gary - I should have looked here first but I very naively thought that the Yamaha sites would have this info.

I kind of panicked as I have now got used to using just the Tyros now that there is a "fudge" to display lyrics which are not part of a Karoeke file.

I will probably be getting a Tyros 2 so I will no doubt be experiencing a few of it's teething problems......

Incidently, there are hard factory reset instructions for all other Yamaha keyboards and clavinovas on their site - it's just not up to date. Most of these need B1 or F0 being held down during power up although the PSR9000 is an exception and uses the demo button. However it is safer to use the test procedure as the last page of these gives the option to do a reset.

Thanks again all

Keith

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online