SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#124109 - 07/21/05 02:14 AM ScottYee...I think the Korg PA1xPro would meet you needs
Harold Offline

Loc: Harrisville,Pa USA
Hi Scott...I have been following you wants and needs in a Replacement keyboard for your aging Tyro's...I highly recommend the Korg Pro...Notlo's is a MasterMusician! WOW...
THe Pro Has everything you have been looking for...Great Sounds,Fantastic Styles,Your Jazz Root Stuff,Pro Build,Great Support from Italy,The Piano Expansion gives you the Great Bosendorfer Piano's, plus The Steinway Piano's can be purchased from Irish Acts for $25.00!...They are Excellent!!!...Plus the Board has weight, but is very easy to handle, it's balanced very well,a thin board easy to grip when moving about...
I think your search for a Pro board can end!...Buy the Korg Pro!...I believe George Kaye sells them...He has Excellent Prices and Support, plus a Man of great Character and Itegrity!....Best Wishes...Harold

#124110 - 07/21/05 05:48 AM Re: ScottYee...I think the Korg PA1xPro would meet you needs
Roel Offline

Well.... The PA1X is 'aging' as well and the Tyros-2 is around the corner!
I sold my PA1XPRO after a few months because of the far too complex OS (user interface).... the guy I sold the PA1X now is trying to sell it for the same reason

I'm sure Scott did try the Korg

#124111 - 07/21/05 07:27 AM Re: ScottYee...I think the Korg PA1xPro would meet you needs
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Roel

I agree 100% with you.
I am playing cheaper models of Yamaha and Korg as Psr 3000 and Korg Pa50.
I like some Korg voices as Harmonica and sax , but I dislike some Korg features :
1- Hard navigation when compared with Yamaha
2- Styles variation at last does not exist.
3- Unbalanced volumes of acc parts.
4- Antique storage methods.
So, if I can have 2 kbds, ok ;I have both.
If I can have just one, my choice is 3000 so far.
Chico

#124112 - 07/21/05 09:13 AM Re: ScottYee...I think the Korg PA1xPro would meet you needs
silva Offline

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
I sold my PA1XPRO after a few months because of the far too complex OS (user interface

For me the PA1X OS is VERY, VERY EASY, mainly after OS ver 2.50. You must understand that PA1X has more capabilities than Tyros. So, maybe it has something, to understand deeply, like sampling, etc.

#124113 - 07/21/05 09:17 AM Re: ScottYee...I think the Korg PA1xPro would meet you needs
silva Offline

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Hi Chico
Please, donīt compare PA1X with PA50.

#124114 - 07/21/05 09:47 AM Re: ScottYee...I think the Korg PA1xPro would meet you needs
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Harold. Yes, I've auditioned the PA1XPro at my local Guitar Center store on several occasions and was very impressed with many of Korg's signature fresh sounding sounds & styles. I used to own the Korg 01/W FD so it was great to hear many of these classic sounds again. Both styles & sounds (to my ears) have a more contemporary flavor than Yamaha's (more traditional). The other thing I appreciate a lot about the KB is its recent inclusion of rootless chord recognition. With this finally added, I felt right at home playing the 76 keys (great response/feel) and getting the kind of acoustic piano 'comping sound' I like so much, as integrating & mixing both: chords which include the root, as well as rootless voiced chords, expands the palette of chordal sound possibilities to include the open sound of stacked 4ths, tri-tone intervals, especially played by keyboard players in jazz & blues.

Regretably, the PA1XPro's stock acoustic piano sounds & the keyboard's complicated OS navigation system (and touch screen) failed to impress me. The acoustic pianos (overly bright, harsh) though perhaps suitable for rock genres (to cut thru the band mix), are NOT suitable for exposed acoustic jazz styles of which is my primary playing genre. In addition, attempting to navigate windows & buttons on the fly become unendingly frustrating. Perhaps over time, I could master the OS/navigation, but interestingly, I had no problem from the get go, navigating 'on the fly' when I auditioned the Technics KN'S, Yamaha PSR's, or (most recently) the recently introduced Roland G70. As I auditioned the PA1XPro, I kept wondering to myself 'how long' it would take for me to feel comfortable taking it out on a gig.

Harold, your report that the PA1XPro & PA1X now offer a Piano expansion board which includes Steinway Piano samples have got my ears perked up in re-considering the PA1XPro again. If the expansion board's acoustic pianos are truly as impressive as you say, I might re-consider the PA1XPro as a studio piece, as it may be a an easier alternative recording solution then attempting to mic my Steinway B Acoustic Grand piano.

Ok, back to the PA1X's notorious complex OS user interface. Fully appreciating Notlos' (Dirk Baert) impressive PA1XPro produced demos:

Notlos & other PA1XPro/PA1X owners; I'm wondering how the PA1XPro is working for you guys when playing 'on the fly' material on stage. Are you able to navigate & operate the PA1Xpro quickly on the fly for arranger keyboard (auto accomp mode) performance gigs. How easy is it to call up styles, sounds & custom song setups 'on the fly'? One of the critical aspects in solo arranger kb performance is making your performance come off seamless & ez, even if it really isn't. How long did it take for you to setup song sets & to feel comfortable playing & navigating the buttons & OS on stage? Thanks. - Scott

#124115 - 07/21/05 12:32 PM Re: ScottYee...I think the Korg PA1xPro would meet you needs
Harold Offline

Loc: Harrisville,Pa USA
Hi Scott...I'm sorry if I confused you about the Piano's...The Expansion Bd(which I saved from my Pro) does not have the Steinway Samples..I still have the list here, but I believe they are Bosendorpher(I know this spelling Incorrect)...They are warmer and deeper than the Stock Piano's...Very nice Sustain and Decay time..The Steinway samples can be purchased from Irish Acts...8 Different piano's for $25.00 They are Excellent...Called Piano Assult...You can listen to an Demo also...Would it not be nice to order a keyboard as you liked!...Every one of these keyboards we are talking about has some relly great Features, Styles and Sounds....I really Enjoy your Professional Singing and Playing ....Sincerely, Harold

#124116 - 07/21/05 01:26 PM Re: ScottYee...I think the Korg PA1xPro would meet you needs
notlos Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hi scott,

I think working with the pa1xpro or pa1x on a gig is a "peace of cake". You can all save your registrations,styles, mp3's,midifiles in the heart of the pa1x/pro that's call "songbook mode" !!!
In this mode you store all your files like i said (mp3, midi,styles,...). If you change from a styleplay song with the arranger and you select the next item e.g. midifile you don't must change to the songplay mode!! automatic change the keyboard to this mode and places the midifile direct in the sequencer 1 only push the play button and the midifile start automatic.... after that you decide for playing a piece with the arranger select in your songbook the file and you will change direct to the arranger with the registrated style,sounds and one touch settings you have made.
Also if you play a midifile or mp'3 in the songbook mode you can choose 4 one touch registrations of your choice with the midi-or mp3 file. This make working with the korg pa1x/pro much easier than other keyboards. If i play with the Ketron i must always change to song play mode, choose my file to play and after that i must change to arranger mode and select a new registration for playing with styles.
Now it's done in one mode and change automaticly to the correspondent file.

I know like many here say, the operating system is not easy of the korg pa1x/pro but if you take the time to understand this, you will see that it has more functions and options like other keyboards.

Like you ask Scott, i have take a "few months" to understand my new korg keyboard.
and it also take alot to make the new registrations, balance your midifiles to the new sounds of this keyboard, making mp3's and samples of drumloops to synchronize with the styles. The first two months i have not taking my korg on a gig and played with my ketron. and than take the two keyboards,... and now only the korg...
regards,

Notlos www.notlos.com

------------------

[This message has been edited by notlos (edited 07-21-2005).]

#124117 - 07/21/05 01:36 PM Re: ScottYee...I think the Korg PA1xPro would meet you needs
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Harold:
Hi Scott...I'm sorry if I confused you about the Piano's...The Expansion Bd(which I saved from my Pro) does not have the Steinway Samples..I still have the list here, but I believe they are Bosendorpher(I know this spelling Incorrect)...They are warmer and deeper than the Stock Piano's...Very nice Sustain and Decay time..The Steinway samples can be purchased from Irish Acts...8 Different piano's for $25.00 They are Excellent...Called Piano Assult...You can listen to an Demo also...Would it not be nice to order a keyboard as you liked!...Every one of these keyboards we are talking about has some relly great Features, Styles and Sounds....I really Enjoy your Professional Singing and Playing ....Sincerely, Harold

but cann't you import samples to the pa1xpro or pa1x?

#124118 - 07/21/05 01:53 PM Re: ScottYee...I think the Korg PA1xPro would meet you needs
notlos Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hi Genesys,

Yes you can load wav-format,korg format and Akai format (akai only can loaded with the optional cd writer!!)
Regards,
Notlos www.notlos.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online