SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#159581 - 07/03/05 03:52 AM New Microphone
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi everyone,

Well, I made the plunge. I just bought a Neumann KMS 105 and I love it. Last Wednesday night 2 of us got booked at the Hyatt my mistake. The other guy had this Neumann mic with him and he let me use it for the first set. I was immediatly sold on it. I went down Friday and bought one. I already have a U 87 in my studio, but this one is designed for live gigs. I had a gig Friday afternoon at a nursing home that has really bad acoustics. The room sounds like a cave. With this mic, everyone in the room heard every word I said and they sang along with every song, even the people in the back. The frequency response is incredible. I've been using a Shure SM 58 for more years than I care to count so this is definitely an upgrade. Rock on!

Joe

------------------
Songman55

#159582 - 07/03/05 05:31 AM Re: New Microphone
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Joe,

The Neumann KMS 105 is an excellent mic and has a wide frequency response curve. Though the SM58 has been the "Gold Standard" for many years, I sincerely believe that technology surpassed the SM58 several years ago and left Shure standing in the wings. Over the past decade, mics have undergone some dramatic changes in overall design, particularly in the types of pick-up patterns and diaphram materials. The Neumann KMS 105 is just one example of these technological advances.

Good luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#159583 - 07/03/05 08:37 AM Re: New Microphone
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
You guys are funny. I would hope that a $648 Mic at musiciansfriend would be better than a $98 SM 58 shure mic. Ha! Ha!

Let me put it another way. For someone who has a "S shishy" and a "P Popping" voice (like me, the SM 58 is the best mic on the planet for under $648. Ha! Ha! again.

#159584 - 07/03/05 05:17 PM Re: New Microphone
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Boo,

Those $12.95 Radio Shack mics just don't cut the mustard anymore. Ya' gotta' jump into the 21st century with both feet!

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#159585 - 07/04/05 08:39 AM Re: New Microphone
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Gary for $550 more for a Mic Vs the SMs58, It's going to have to load and unload the Van for me and help me set the gear up and take it down too. Ha! Ha!

I'd be very surprised if this Mic didn't exaggerate the S(s) and P(s) like many of the other highly rated Mics that were recommended to me that I've tried.

Man this is 6 months worth of gas for my jeep to go 4 wheeling in the Rockies. Just think of all the worms I can buy to go fishing too! I think I'll get another SMs 58 and save a bunch more money. Ha! Ha!

You guys really need to quit comparing a $1000 Mic to a $98 mic. Compare it to another $1000 Mic is what I'm saying. A $98 Arranger doesn't compare to a $4000 Arranger either eh?
Cheers
Boo

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 07-04-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online