SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#102751 - 12/30/03 04:07 AM Backing Tracks Advice
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi
When using backing tracks,I am now using midi with the lead line muted. I play it through my laptop with SG50 softsynth,and into line in of my kb. The sound is fairly good but wondered if there might be a better way e.g. MP3 from a CD?
I am still considering Audigy and Echo soundcards,but midi is still midi. It is easier to work with,but how much quality am I giving up?

I would appreciate some advice from some of you pro's.

Thanks
Bernie

#102752 - 12/30/03 07:44 AM Re: Backing Tracks Advice
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Bernie, since you have a KN7000 why not just load the midi's themselves into your Keyboard and play the midi's that way? You Keyboard's sound engine is going to sound a lot better than any Soft Synth Player on a Laptop. You say you're running the SG50 to the line in of your KN7000. If you want to use a Laptop (for whatever reason that may be) it would be optimal to run it through a Midi 'Port' to your Keyboards Midi IN port. That way you would be using the KN7000's sound engine to process and play the Midi's. Or like you said you could also use .mp3's because the KN7000 is one of those "rare" Arranger Keyboards that can indeed load and play .mp3's. The way I would go about that is to first record the Midi through the Keyboard Outputs to your Laptop/PC, etc. (setting the Melody track to OFF before you do of course) then record the Midi to any Stand Alone Recording Software, eg., Cool Edit Pro, Sound Forge, etc. PS: There are even very inexpensive or free Sofware programs for recording. Then record the Midi and save it as a .wav file (normally the default option) and after that convert the .wav file to .mp3 again using any good converting software. Then simply place the .mp3 on your SD Memory Card, load it into the KN7000 and your off to the races. Of course the Midi approach is far simpler plus the sound is going to be right up there with .mp3 quality especially on a high end board like the KN7000. Plus the fact that you have more sound control with the Midi because you would be able to change Voices on the fly and mute/unmute different tracks at will. Not to mention all of the other Editing and manipulation you can do with a Midi file as apposed to a .mp3. Someday .mp3's will be as easy to manipulate as a Midi file but until then Midi is the bees knees for having easy control of your sound output and if the Midi is of high quality and precision to begin with the sound can be comparable to .mp3 for quality but it would depend on several factors of course, with the Keyboards sound engine capability or a Laptop/PC's Sound Card and Professional grade Soft Synth being at the top of the list.

Best regards,
Mike

#102753 - 12/30/03 07:49 AM Re: Backing Tracks Advice
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Bernie...

This is a subject that has been discussed quite extensively here. There are several choices, primarily mp3, midi, cd, and minidisc. They all have advantages and disadvantages. Use the "search" function and put in "backing tracks"... you'll find a wealth of information. BTW, where's Live Oak?

Glenn

#102754 - 12/30/03 09:37 AM Re: Backing Tracks Advice
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by keybplayer:
[B] Someday .mp3's will be as easy to manipulate as a Midi file...

High hopes, my friend, high hopes...
But you never know, may be some brains will figure out how to do that.

But in overall I agree with Keybplayer,
MIDI is the best way to go. Lack of control over the arrangement sucks.

-ED-

#102755 - 12/30/03 10:41 AM Re: Backing Tracks Advice
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I use a few excellent Mid files. First,I put them in Cakewalk and set the key. Then I move whatever is on channel one and set channel one for piano. Then I play piano on the keyboard along with the midi file while doing vocals. Of course I load the midi file into my hard drive on the keyboard.

If there is a better way please tell me.
Boo

#102756 - 12/30/03 01:24 PM Re: Backing Tracks Advice
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thank you all for your replies. I needed to know that midi was not yet a dinasaur. Then, how to best handle it

I use a laptop for midi with lyrics,and/or songs I have to read through my MidiNotate. The bulk of the midi's are on the SD playing with the 7000 sound generator. I have pretty much memorized them.

Mike
You gave me some great tips. Thanks for your time
Live Oak,BTW,is a little burg up in North Florida,but,I have just moved down to Port Charlotte,South of Sarasota. A lot more action down here.
Thanks Guys
Bernie

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online