SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#182534 - 11/23/03 11:16 AM Genesys Comparison to WK series
DannyUK Offline

How does the Genesys compare to the WK6/8? Especially in terms of styles and sounds. Are they pretty similar (for example when GEM replaced the WK4 with the WK6/8 there wasnt a great leap forward).

Thanks in advance,
Danny

#182535 - 11/23/03 02:29 PM Re: Genesys Comparison to WK series
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Danny,
The Genesys has done a goood thing for previous WK4,6 and 8 owners. It has all of their voices available to be used from previous styles and songs AND it has all new voices as well. When you first enter the voice mode you see only the original sounds in the first 7 or 8 pages and then all of a sudden you see the new sounds in the higher pages. The reason for this is so that all the WK sounds are still in their same locations allowing for complete compatability. When you come out of the voice mode and go into the preset mode, it is here that you find most of the new voices, organized in catagories with single presets as well as multi presets (utilizing layers).
There are about 1300 sounds of which about 300 are brand new and much improved over the WK series. Sounds like Grand Piano, Rhodes, Guitars, Brass, etc. are really good.
The styles are all new with great use of intros both in Major and Minor keys and literaly give you different song style choices when you use a major chord instead of a minor chord. For example, in the Elton John type style, if you play a major chord you recognize the song as say "Your Song", but with a minor chord, using the same intro you get "Candles in the Wind".
I also like that when playing midi files, there is a GM on or off mode which automatically selects the new "real" and "live" voices instead of GM sounds but if you like you can switch this function to off and it will only play GM2 voices.
I hope this info helps
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#182536 - 11/23/03 10:31 PM Re: Genesys Comparison to WK series
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That's weird, since both songs start with the same chord. Hmmmmmmm.......

#182537 - 11/25/03 08:53 AM Re: Genesys Comparison to WK series
DannyUK Offline

George, thanks very much for an excellent post. I am a big fan of GEM, always have been. The Genesys is quite a rare machine to find for a demo as i would love to see it for myself. I have been keeping an eye on this kb for a while now as its more than likely going to be my next purchase when i am able to afford it!

Thanks again George,
Danny

#182538 - 11/25/03 10:23 AM Re: Genesys Comparison to WK series
Chris A Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ,
UD,

I think George was working from memory (and George's memory contains a lot of great stuff If I may make a correction, since that Elton style was one of mine; two of the four major intros are in the style of "Daniel" and "Your Song" respectively while one of the minor intros suggests "Sorry seems to be the hardest word".

Chris

#182539 - 11/25/03 03:05 PM Re: Genesys Comparison to WK series
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Chis,
thanks for the help. As you know, I'm not a piano player and although I know my products real well, when it comes to names of songs.......this is not my forte!. I can remember that there are different song styles but as to which ones, I am greatful for Chris's help.
Oh, one more thing Chris........Where are the Iranian styles for the WK2?
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
(Retired 2021)

#182540 - 11/25/03 03:42 PM Re: Genesys Comparison to WK series
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Guys,

can you help me with WK2 question?

thanks

#182541 - 11/26/03 09:46 AM Re: Genesys Comparison to WK series
Chris A Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ,