SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#209450 - 05/05/03 11:01 AM Keyboard keys
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Anyone have a hard time playing a diffrent keyboard? I went to the GC during lunch and was playing with some boards that had real keys. I couldn't wait to get back to the plastic feel I'm so use to and the faster response time. The real keys felt so sluggish... Anyone geting addicted to the cheesy feel of a yamaha psr2000. I know I am..

------------------
I don't steer the ship, I bail out the water.
DJ
http://www.chipos.com/beachbum/

#209451 - 05/05/03 11:45 AM Re: Keyboard keys
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'll stick with the 2K over most of the boards I've owned and played. Some folks may call the keys cheap or cheezy, but for me, and my old, arthritic fingers, they're great.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#209452 - 05/05/03 12:05 PM Re: Keyboard keys
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Personally I like the synth action keybeds.. The best weighted keyboard I've have ever played was my old Roland XP-60.. Those keys were semi-weighted and they felt great.... I think I'm going to spring the $99.00 and buy that StudioLogic midi controller to use with my PSR-550. Can I actually use the controller when recording or will it only work with the PSR's for performance only?

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#209453 - 05/05/03 02:15 PM Re: Keyboard keys
Dnj Offline

My preference is Roland G1000 and Ketron SD-1

#209454 - 05/05/03 03:12 PM Re: Keyboard keys
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
I admit. I really like the look and feel of the xp-60. I had one for about a month but the interface was created by the devil. So I gave it up. The only thing I have to do a lot is clean the keys on the 2000 or they get slippery...

------------------
I don't steer the ship, I bail out the water.
DJ
http://www.chipos.com/beachbum/

#209455 - 05/05/03 03:48 PM Re: Keyboard keys
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I believe you're more likely to need (demand) fully weighted keys if you have a long history (background & training) playing the acoustic piano. The weighted action allows you to play the electronic keyboard utilizing traditional acoustic piano playing techniques. This includes achieving better pianistic control: highlighting inner voicings, dynamics, and other uniquely pianistic features. On the other hand, when playing other instrument sounds (voices), I always prefer the light weight synth action.

Btw: It's important to note that BOTH the Yamaha 9000pro and Ketron SD1 do NOT include fully weighted keys so don't respond the way a true FULLY weighted piano action synth or acoustic piano does.

Coming from a lifelong background of playing acoustic piano, it was a difficult challenge to adapt to a synth action kb. Still, because I was no longer willing to deal with hauling 75 lbs around on my back, I relented and spent 6 months at NASA to adapt to the feeling of space age weightless-ness. I'm now GLAD I did. Admittedly, there are still a few pianistic devices not able to be achieved on my synth kb, but overall, I'm very satifisied, the biggest satisfaction being the 50 lb difference.

It may be interesting to note that over the years of having to switch back and forth between the fully weighted keys on my Steinway B Grand and the weightless feel of the Yamaha PSR2000 and even the Tyros, that I'm now able to comfortablly go back & forth between the kbs without difficulty. I"ve just had to learn to approach playing each of them differently.

Scott

#209456 - 05/05/03 08:09 PM Re: Keyboard keys
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
For live work, which demands that I play, work the accompaniment, and sometimes sing, I can live with the 2k key feel, but I like the stiffer feel of the PA80 better. During live play, I'm generally playing simpler stuff and the light key feel of the 2k doesn't bother me all that much.

When I am composing or playing something more intense or complex, I much prefer the semi weighted action of the Motif ( which is still a lot lighter than an acoustic piano, but I can live with the PA80 feel, which is somewhere in the middle of the 2k and the Motif. When emulating instruments such as rythym guitar or ac piano, the semi-weighted feel of the Motif gives me a better feel and response. I prefer the PA80 action for lead and soloing, but I do fine with the Motif too. I don't care much for the flimsy action on the 2k keys for rythym playing parts, but I can get by ok if I have to soloing on it.

AJ

#209457 - 05/05/03 10:40 PM Re: Keyboard keys
zuki Offline

The VA-76 has an awesome keyboard (IMO).
Zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#209458 - 05/07/03 07:40 AM Re: Keyboard keys
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
D50 & G1000 all the way. I love that semiweighted feeling

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online