SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#149415 - 09/09/02 12:52 PM Cubase Grand Piano
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
Hi All,
I went to Guitar Center this weekend and a guy was demoing the cubase grand piano software...has anyone else checked it out. I am not current on versions or what is already out there, but this guy had a laptop, new cubase software and was playing it on a studio logic 88 key controller. One of the very best piano sounds I have ever heard...Like a 9 footer right there...incredible sound...anyone heard this or any other software we might all appreciate?? Expansion Boards ? Just curious B2

[This message has been edited by B2 (edited 09-09-2002).]

#149416 - 09/09/02 03:03 PM Re: Cubase Grand Piano
B2 Offline

Frank,
I am a knob and fader type guy, but I am very interested in the capabilities of software based systems...at least since the cubase experience. In fact, I was favoring going the VS 890 or equivalent route when purchasing a multi track recorder, and counting on modules and a synth like the Motif/S-90/Roland etc to supply the instruments/sounds, then a drum machine to boot. I know Scott Yee, Beaky Bird, Fran,and a host of others really like the computer based stuff...I guess if I had a friend who was into that here with me it would be easier to pick it up and utilize it.I'm not a software geneous and a new computer is off in the future some day...my old 400 compaq runs OK, but not enough ram to do the studio thing...I understand that the capabiliteis are unlimited and the sounds are top notch..professional grade....I guess I need to expand my world..I'll check out the gigastudio first chance I get. Many others have commented on the B-4 by native instruments...another Saturday adventure some day...Glad you are enjoying yours..thanks for the info...Cheers B2

[This message has been edited by B2 (edited 09-09-2002).]

#149417 - 09/10/02 12:03 AM Re: Cubase Grand Piano
elle Offline

Concerning gigastudio ...Since the apprearance of the gigapiano, considerable improvements have been made in sampling Piano (Grands).

Have a look at:
http://www.postaudiomedia.com/ http://www.purgatorycreek.com/ http://www.albertorizzoschettino.com/pmi/grandioso.html

#149418 - 09/10/02 04:53 AM Re: Cubase Grand Piano
B2 Offline

OK, so how do you plug into the beast? from the keyboard to the laptop/harddrive to the mixer then out...what kind of computer( system requirements...how much Ram???) equipment and adapters do you need to play this on a Gig....I'm interested B2

#149419 - 09/10/02 08:02 PM Re: Cubase Grand Piano
Anonymous
Unregistered

I heard the piano tonight at a Guitar Center Cubase clinic. You're right... it's a killer piano, but it's a $400 plug-in.

Glenn

#149420 - 09/11/02 04:13 AM Re: Cubase Grand Piano
elle Offline

Hi Frank,
all depending on your preferred styles www.projectsam.com $99 www.biggagiggas.com $189
still looking for "Memphis Horns/Tower ofPower" type of library myself.

#149421 - 09/11/02 04:21 AM Re: Cubase Grand Piano
elle Offline

Hi B2:
best is you learn on the gigaforums: http://www.northernsounds.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi http://209.216.16.19/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=16&DaysPrune=

Otherwise:

midi controller > midi interface on PC > GS

- be carefull on type of motherboard (avoid VIA)
- two HD preferred: 1=OS+GS+GS data / 2=GS samples (gigs) (WD1200JB is great, IBM, Maxtor)
- use enough Ram (512kb)
- win98SE or XP still best
- you need GSIF compatible audio card;
- CPU 1-1.5Ghz P4 is OK. no use to overdo
it.
- better opt for standalone dedicated gigaPC.

hope this helps

#149422 - 09/11/02 04:23 AM Re: Cubase Grand Piano
B2 Offline

Thanks Elle, I'm off for more education!

#149423 - 09/11/02 04:49 AM Re: Cubase Grand Piano
B2 Offline

Glenn,
oohhh..a bit steep eh?? I was thinking perhaps this would be the set up for a great recording studio..like Frank says, he's purchasing other instruments to put on the computer and going to use as lead instruments instead of a traditional synth...If you have the computer setup...I guess 3 or 4 instruments would cost you abit less than a good synth...but if you don't and have to purchase a computer and all the software...you'd be paying a pretty penny. That's what is so good about todays technology. There are many choices that enable musicians to maximize their talents and creativeness. Some people can make a fabulous recording with all computer based equipment, while others can push faders, knobs and tweak synths and digital pianos and get the same results. In my mind, the computer software allows those of us on a tighter budget ...to spend $400 for a grand sound ..on a record or CD anyways..that rivals a 2 hundred thousand dollar piano..sorry Scott, not taking a pot shot at the steinway..I belive they recorded a D model for giga piano..My point is, if the other instruments are that good...it increases our potential to have a better sounding CD, backing tracks than without the technology. In the end, I believe we make more out of the details than the people in the audience...I mean, gigapiano, S-90, RolandRD-700, JV series, Yamaha acoustic C-7, Acoustic Steinway..who notices...besides some people actually prefer the PSR 2000 piano sound to the $200,000 Acoustic Yamaha (sad, yet true)...the real critics are the musicians that play the instruments and create the music...and if you like and give birth to a song utilizing sounds that satisfy your sonic pallet...what else is there??? But I digress...slow morning here...have a great day..thanks for joining the thread..Brian

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online