SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#178220 - 08/01/02 10:40 AM Cakewalk
Zack Offline

hey all. i was just wondering where i could get ahold of cakewalk and any other tools i might need. thanks Z

#178221 - 08/01/02 11:33 AM Re: Cakewalk
New Yorker Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, Russia
In the store.

------------------
New Yorker

#178222 - 08/01/02 11:35 AM Re: Cakewalk
Zack Offline

for real?? i thought it was a free download! oops. :-) Z

#178223 - 08/01/02 11:39 AM Re: Cakewalk
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Zack,
Cakewalk is quite expensive. A really good low-cost alternative is Power Tracks Pro.
I think you'll find everything you need in it. I don't really use sequencers that much, but when I do, I use PTP. I think Uncle Dave uses it too.
Don

#178224 - 08/01/02 12:11 PM Re: Cakewalk
Zack Offline

ok, thanks. ill check it out. i dont do it that much, either but i thought i might as well learn. :-) Z

#178225 - 08/01/02 11:22 PM Re: Cakewalk
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I second that, and Fran will third it.
Go to PGmusic and get the program .... it's 95% of what Cakewalk is and MUCH less money.

#178226 - 08/02/02 12:38 AM Re: Cakewalk
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Cakewalk Express was free on a PC cover disk in the UK about 4 years ago, so maybe thats out there somewhere? It was very cut-down, however, and I dont think it used instrument files so I suspect this might be a stopper!

Also sound cards using Yamaha chipsets (YMF 7x4) sometimes bundle "XGWorks Lite" which is not too bad. I am talking about budget soundcards here (made by e.g. AOpen) NOT the yamaha SW1000XG!

#178227 - 08/02/02 03:28 AM Re: Cakewalk
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Cakewalk Express is about the same price as Power Tracks pro (about 30 USD last time I looked ) . I have both. Express is a great introductory Cakewalk program and it does allow the use of .ins ( instrument ) files. Power Tracks is a very nice audio program, but my main argument against it for midi editing is that it uses Standard musical notation but not midi notation ( someone please correct me if I'm wrong here ).

Another advantage is that if you should later decide to upgrade to Sonar or Home Studio, the interfaces look and work the same, they just have more features.

There are some pretty decent freeware apps if you just want to get your feet wet too. I find that any decent pc based sequencer is easier to use for midi editing than the ones inside of any synth I've ever seen. Quartz Audio is very good. I used it for a while. So is the Massiva freeware. You can find these at Hitsquad's Shareware music machine ( there is a link to SMM on the Synth Zone main page ).

If you need a more audio based feature packed performance program, for about 40 bucks or so ( add another 20 if you need 24 / 96 soundcard capability ), N Track studio is definitely worth a look. It is a net only deal, but it's creator, Flavio Antoli, is always helpful with any questions or fixes you might need, and he responds promptly. It allows for VST plug ins and has a wealth of good features at it's price. I prefer it for audio work over anything else I have ( including Sonar and Cool edit ). It also has a very basic midi sequencer.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 08-02-2002).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online