SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#204867 - 05/19/02 01:57 PM Guys, I need a new pc!
Maximo Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
It's time to buy a new pc for my home studio.
I'd like to buy a powerful laptop instead of a desktop, I travel a lot and I would like to take my music everywhere since I can't alway take my arranger with me. Any suggestion of what to buy? Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers,
Maximo

#204868 - 05/20/02 05:14 AM Re: Guys, I need a new pc!
Roel Offline

Hi Maximo,

a. Desktop machines are at least 1 year ahead with 'power'.

b. Laptops cost about twice the money if you want equal power as a desktop-PC.

c. The keyboard of laptops have less comfort.

d. The laptop displays are smaller.

e. The batteries always let you down when you need the laptop.... and have no AC-mains outlet.

f. Laptops have touch-pads or (tiny) tracker-balls. I prefer an ordinary optical mouse.

g. I have a Compaq laptop (notebook) for my job.... but NEVER, I repeat NEVER use it for private use.

h. In laptops it is impossible to change soundcards.

i. Only a few laptops have built-in CD-burners. (Expensive again)

In my home-studio I have an Athlon 1800XP and this one is OK for studio use.

I have no idea what laptops have built-in MIDI interfaces. (Perhaps the Apple ones ?)

My system was about 1700 USD including Plextor Burner, NEC 15" TFT and Midiman HQ soundcard

Roel

#204869 - 05/20/02 07:46 AM Re: Guys, I need a new pc!
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
All valid points above; but if you want to be portable you just have to grit your teeth and take the hit!

Assuming you have to have a laptop - points to consider

If you aren't carting around a keyboard/module, and wish to use the laptop "stand alone" then you could use a software synth. For midifile playback these are fine; there are difficulties in synchronising such synths with any samples / audio recording due to the delays inherant in the software synth operation.

I've used the Yamaha SW-XG50 (?) software synth at 28 voice capability on my Celeron333 (SLOW) machine without too much trouble. Modern machines should have no problem. Isn't there a Roland software synth built into XP these days?

If you are taking a keyboard/module with you and are using the PC purely for sequence / midifile playback on the external device then the PC spec is minimal by current standards. You could use a serial port cable via the "To host" socket that is present on most modern keyboards/modules. What I dont know is whether this type of link is supported yet under windows XP. Also note that some portable and desktop manufacturers are starting to remove serial / parallel ports and replacing them with USB.

Then again, the new Soundblaster "Extigy" looks rather interesting, as a compact ish external module. This connects via USB.

Golden rule for laptop purchase: consider it to be non-upgradable no matter what the salesman says.

If your budget gives you a choice between 10% extra processor speed and another 128/256 MB memory go for the memory.

If you may be away from power for long time seriously consider an extra battery. Also, make sure the laptop uses the "mobile" version of the processor. Laptops using non-mobile chips get rather hot and eat batteries as the non-mobile chps are not design with power and heat dissipation constraits in mind. Lithium batteries are lighter than hydride but cost more to replace!

Dell put high-res screens on some of therer laptops. As a brand they are very well received. I know a number of people using Dell portables, all of who intend to go back to Dell when the time comes.

Best of luck!

[This message has been edited by MacAllcock (edited 05-20-2002).]

[This message has been edited by MacAllcock (edited 05-20-2002).]

#204870 - 05/20/02 08:48 PM Re: Guys, I need a new pc!
technicsplayer Offline

if you want a laptop for music, the best you can buy at the present time is Toshiba Satellite 5100-501.

1.7 GHz mobile pentium 4
the best quality super fine 15 inch lcd anywhere with 32 MB of 4xAGP geforce video (3D games are no problem)
512 RAM
40 G HD
3 USB plus Firewire
SD and Smartmedia slots (the forthcoming KN7000 uses SD cards)
Cardbus
TV output
SPDIF output
Dolby 5.1 output
Bluetooth
Infra Red
Ethernet
V90 modem
DVD and CD re-writer drive 8x24x8x8.
Harmon Kardon speakers with sub-woofer built in.
The latest touchpad technology with multifunction control.

Beware the Extigy, there are many bug reports with Creative. I use Edirol USB soundcard and find it very good quality.

#204871 - 05/21/02 05:49 AM Re: Guys, I need a new pc!
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
I bought a Toshiba 2805 S603 last June. It was the biggest laptop out at the time. 1Ghz pIII 30gig HD 384 megs of mem USB firewire smartcard slot cardbus Nvida 16 meg video CDR/DVD rewritable. TV out. I love it and it replaces my desktop. has a 15 inch LCD screen. I don't use the desktop anymore.

I am sure this machine is now at a reasonable price since the last post lists one that has just come out.

-Linda

#204872 - 05/22/02 01:15 PM Re: Guys, I need a new pc!
Maximo Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Thank you guys and gals for your replys!
You have been so helpful!
Thank you so much.

Maximo

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online