SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#153407 - 01/02/02 06:32 PM suggestions welcome
jechilt Offline

Loc: ft meade, md, usa
Greetings,
As a beginner of beginner's, I read as much in all the posts as I can. My wife has made a good point that most of these boards are beyond my skill level. My response is the boards offer the challenge to grow into them.
That aside, the challenge of finding the right board is proving to be overwhelming. A lot of times, people's opinion are over features of capabilities I have no clue how to use. For me, keyboard feel and the ease of navigating through all the buttons and menu's are what make the difference.
I used to own a SK88PS. I sold it with the intent of buying another one one, but almost two years have passed and I have not gotten another board yet. Why? Too many decisions. I bought a TritonPRO and returned it because I realized I needed and arranger and the Triton was too advanced for me.
I looked at the PSR9000Pro but the keys were too light for my liking. I definitely want to stay in the 76/88 key range with a more real piano keystroke feel. My fingers have a heart for the GEM boards.
I am now looking at the Roland VA76, Solton SD1, and another SK880/760. Although I loved the SK880, I did not enjoy transporting this board. It barely fit in my car (the primary reason of looking for a 76 key board) and it's weight was...well, heavy! The VA76 and SD1 are much lighter.
Well, I suppose these boards are too advanced for me, but I am not sure what other boards on the market offer the sequencer, arranger, and keyboard package in a less advanced model and price.
Anyone???
I respect the opinion of those in these forums. Ultimately I make the final decision. However, between the Roland va76, Solton SD1 and GEM SK760, which board would you think is the easiest to learn and navigate?
Any other feedback is welcome.
thanks!
John

#153408 - 01/02/02 11:31 PM Re: suggestions welcome
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Jechilt,
if your main concern is the ease of navigation, I am afraid that neither the VA 76 nor the SD 1 will satisfy you; the VA 76 requires some time to get accustomed to its logic and to the touch screen, which is not the fastest way to communicate with anything, and from what I have gathered the SD 1 too is not so intuitive or easy to grasp.
From this point of view (i.e. fiendly interface and OS) I think that Yamaha or Technics have more to offer.
What I can tell you is that, at least in my opinion, the VA 76 and the SD 1 have the best styles among all the arrangers and some of the best sounds too.
I am sure that other Forum members will give you their advice and you will be able to make an informed choice.
Good luck,
Andrea

#153409 - 01/03/02 12:11 AM Re: suggestions welcome
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
John,
I have your answer ! I have 2)SK880 Powerstations for sale at ................
The "For Sale" section !
(great prices on NEW stuff)
88 weighted keys, hard drive, arranger, 32 track seq ...... VERY affordable.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online