SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#197768 - 09/05/01 01:54 PM Karaoke YES or NO ?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
I placed this new topic due to the strong statements about this in Nobby's earlier post, which in fact has nothing to do with Karaoke., but anyway I copied the start of this discussion.
As sooner or later you will be asked to do a karaoke show, I wonder what the feelings are about it!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Oh NO !!! A TV out ????? Pleeeease tell me you're not thinking about a "K" type show?
( I can't even say the word!)
I've said it)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave
I never understood WHY you disliked GEM...
It's obvious now

Seriously though, Karaoke ( I can say the word) is not a problem at all in Europe and no real competition for musicians.
It exists as a gimmic and fun, but also is used at schools during music lessons to teach boys/girls some feeling for measures, some feeling for singing etc...

Then there are a lot of solo pro-keyboard entertainers who do one night there usual performance and another night a karaoke evening.

Afterall performing music is for a large part intended to amuse people anyway.!
Whether you appreciate real performance , midi performance , even dj alike, The majority of the audience couldn't care less how you manage your performance.
As the majority of the professional musicians are not in the top ten charts, they need to make a living, and if that requires to do a karaoke evening, there's nothing wrong with that.

so I think I disagree

Fred

Scottyee
Member posted 09-05-2001 01:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by freddynl:

As the majority of the professional musicians are not in the top ten charts, they need to make a living, and if that REQUIRES to do a karaoke evening, there's nothing wrong with that.

eeek! If I end up having to host karaoke shows, I'll be the first to 'get out' of the music entertainment business !

#197769 - 09/05/01 02:13 PM Re: Karaoke YES or NO ?
Dnj Offline

Everybodys a singer or so they think. Its here, it ain't going away. People like it, its entertaining to them and gives them a chance to showoff. What we as pro musicians think of it will not change anything, for gods sake people come up to me on stage and ask where they can buy "TAPES" like mine to sing along with when I'm playing my ass off all night Sheeeesh. Can't blame them though, most of the audience is not as technologcaly learned in what we do as keyboard artists, let alone try to make them understand how we do it. Lets face it there are Dj's, "K" artists, and us "Real Musicians". We know that, we have to make a living so I don't let it fluster me theres a piece of pie for everyone is you hone your craft and play & sing from your heart to give the audience a good live show every nite, theres no sucstitution for talent my friends.

#197770 - 09/05/01 06:37 PM Re: Karaoke YES or NO ?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I don't always completely agree with Uncle Dave on issues, but on this issue, I TOTALLY agree with EVERY SINGLE point he makes here. Karaoke is the pro musician entertainer's ENEMY !

#197771 - 09/05/01 10:51 PM Re: Karaoke YES or NO ?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Amen, Brother Dave!
DonM

#197772 - 09/06/01 06:46 AM Re: Karaoke YES or NO ?
BlueSuede Offline

Well, when karaoke becomes "baby-sitting for drunks" it has definitly nothing to do with neither showbizz nor entertainment.

But under the right surcomstanses it can be a really entertaining. The chance is of course bigger at a privat party - and before there has been to much alcohol!

Michael

#197773 - 09/06/01 10:01 AM Re: Karaoke YES or NO ?
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Karaoke is a Japanese word made from two words kara and oke. Kara means empty and oke means orchestra. I don't think any of you consider yourselves to be "empty orchestras". I found this further explination from the Cambridge Dictionary Online. Karaoke: a form of public entertainment, originally from Japan, in which recordings of the music of popular songs are played, and people sing the words, sometimes reading them from a TV screen. From the posts I've read since joining this forum it seems clear the vast majority of musicians here pride themselves on not only being entertainers but skillful entertainers and leaders of the show. We're a group of musicians who work very hard mastering our intruments so the crowd we are entertaining can get a "real" show played live from the heart instead of someone just playing tunes from a pre-recorded source and projecting lyrics on a screen. My wk8 can display lyrics on a TV screen and that may be cool to some degree but I don't want to ever rely on that feature to carry my songs. So I am in agreement with Uncle Dave. Leave the Karaoke to the Karaoke bars. Just my 2 cents worth.

#197774 - 09/06/01 11:43 AM Re: Karaoke YES or NO ?
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Very interesting reading, but .......
when a "musician" use a keyboard, "play" midifiles as
playback and sing along, is'nt that a kind of karaoke too?
By using the sequensed songs, or even by using the autocomp
is a kind of playback, only performed in a different way
than the "real" karaoke-machines.
At least the karaoke-singers are honest about what they do,
and do not fake to be a "live player" (or performer) as
many of the "artists" I've seen around lately.
Also "mini-disks" containing playback is a usual method
among the musicans nowadays. And again, is'nt that a kind of
karaoke too??

Some years ago, before this "wonder-machines" was a fact,
there usualy was a band, duo or trio etc., but now there
is very much "one man bands" performing in weddings and
other local arrangements around.
Thanks to this "automatic music machines" as we call
keyboards, also there is a lot of people try to add more
income by do this kind of work, and the big competition
lower the prices, and this make it very hard for any who
want to make a living only by performing.

Anyway, I love to see that people have fun, and karaoke is
fun too, but I also love to play on my keyboard, specially if
it's along with other friends who share the music as a great
and health-bringing hobby.

Happy playing!
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#197775 - 09/06/01 12:53 PM Re: Karaoke YES or NO ?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
[B]OK - here goes..... this post is NOT for the feint of heart! This topic is very important to me!
You know me I am allways very interested in different opinions and why they are different!

In fact we don't disagree that much.
(I comment that if we have more comments!)

That's great at house parties, school functions, and private parties

So,
What will you do if you are asked to make
a part of your show a karaoke show on a
private party?

Fred

#197776 - 09/06/01 01:21 PM Re: Karaoke YES or NO ?
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
I suppose when it comes down to it, whatever tools I need to convey a song the way I'm hearing it in my head I will use. The definition of karaoke struck me as interesting though. When my wife and I start playing out in nursing homes and such, having a means of projecting lyrics unto a large screen TV may help some of the seniors enjoy the show more. At the risk of sounding like I am back tracking on my "leave the Karaoke to the Karaoke bars" statement, for the most part I would probably resist anything that resembled a Karaoke show. I just want to play the music God gives me and hopefully it will serve to be an encouragement to someone. That's why my wife and I are getting geared up to visit nursing homes and possibly hospitals. They especially need to encouraged.

#197777 - 09/06/01 11:24 PM Re: Karaoke YES or NO ?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Dave: 'WELL SAID' again. I feel as STRONGLY about the karaoke issue as you, but just did'nt have the energy (without blowing up with anger first) to sit down and put it all into words. I'm so glad 'YOU' were able to say EXACTLY how I feel about this. You saved me the emotional stress of having to post the exact same thing myself. THANKS!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online