SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#165887 - 06/29/00 10:35 PM New Operating System for GEM WK and SK
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I got the word today! Generalmusic will be unvailing a new operating system for Their WK6, WK8, SK760 and SK880 keyboards in a very short time.
The new features will contain a direct play from disk function and a copy a whole block function or floppy disk function and a back up disk function which will allow you to back up from your hard drive to floppy disks from one block to as many floppys as needed by directing you to insert a next disk if needed.
I also got more information on the WK8 "SE" (special Edition) model which will be arriving soon. The new model will feature all the sounds of the Pro 1 digital piano including the physical modeling piano sounds and will include 16 new RASS styles on board. RASS styles are like the grooves found in the Solton X1 keyboards.
More to follow when available.
George Kaye
Kayes Music Scene
Reseda, Ca.
(Retired 2021)

#165888 - 07/05/00 09:32 AM Re: New Operating System for GEM WK and SK
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
George,

are they planning to offer upgrade to get your keyboard to the SE-edition? Or you have to buy a whole new keyboard? What about the sk-series. In my humble opinion, sk880 is a big time need of physical modeling piano sound because the person who buys it, buys with the piano sound in mind. It is not enough to have an ok sound, what do you think?

Thanks for the info

#165889 - 07/10/00 09:30 PM Re: New Operating System for GEM WK and SK
George Kaye Offline

SK880 User,
According to Generalmusic they will probably offer the SK880 and SK760 with the new chip inside. Also, because this is a hardware issue and not just software, they will not be able to upgrade current keyboards to the new WK8 SE specification.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#165890 - 07/10/00 10:47 PM Re: New Operating System for GEM WK and SK
gilazar Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
George,

I spoke with you last week. I am a definite buyer when the SK880 is available with real piano sounds. Do you have any dates available? Will ti be available after NAMM? If I buy an 880 now, will I get a free upgrade? Do you know how simple the upgrade will be?

#165891 - 07/11/00 10:18 AM Re: New Operating System for GEM WK and SK
sk880user Offline

George,

What about a hardware upgrade? I believe with a reasonable price, every GEM owner will upgrade. But if they do not offer the upgrade, no one I know who already owns GEM will buy that keyboard. *smile*

#165892 - 07/11/00 08:50 PM Re: New Operating System for GEM WK and SK
George Kaye Offline

I really don't have all the information yet. I have only heard from one source what to expect. I know he looks at the posts on this discussion group and am sure he would like to be able to give users upgrades if this is at all possible. We will just have to wait and see. As to a timetable, I don't know any more than I have mentioned in previous posts.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#165893 - 07/12/00 04:32 PM Re: New Operating System for GEM WK and SK
sk880user Offline

George,

Thanks for the info and update. If you happen to get a visit or a call from the GEM folks, I would appreciate it if you convey my wishes to them.

Thanks

#165894 - 07/12/00 09:18 PM Re: New Operating System for GEM WK and SK
George Kaye Offline

SK880 User and all that are interested. Here is the email I received today from my friend at Generalmusic. Thought you would like to hear this straight from the horses mouth.

"Greetings from Italy (where the weather is just magnificent

The WK6 and 8 o.s should be on the website withing the next 10-14 days (the webmaster already has the files). The new features are as follows:

- SCSI improvement: Compatibility with ZIP 100, ZIP 250 ,Jaz using 1 or 2 Giga Disk
- Multicopy function on Disk menu' .Allows you to copy files from Hard Disk to SCSI and vice versa
- True Stereo sample compatibility on Sample Translator .SCSI drive supported for import and export sample
-Midi File Player in Song menu'. Keyboard BALANCE control (between song and real time) and Melody ON/OFF toggle
- AUTOSTORE function. No need to keep pressing STORE and ENTER when you change sounds or volumes while recording a song.

Regarding SK760/880 SE (working name at the moment). . They should be available around Oct/Nov of this year.

The Pro piano sounds will not be available as an option for these instruments". I'm not sure what my friend at generalmusic means by this statement. I don't know if he means the pro piano sounds would not be available as an upgrade or on the SE models. I will ask him again.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#165895 - 07/14/00 07:25 AM Re: New Operating System for GEM WK and SK
George Kaye Offline

I now know that you can't have the pro1 sounds inside an older WK or SK keboard because there is not the same board availability for these older keyboards, however, the sounds might be available on disk and if you have simms installed in your WK or SK keyboards, you would be able to load these from disk.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#165896 - 07/16/00 05:38 PM Re: New Operating System for GEM WK and SK
George Kaye Offline

The WK6/WK8 operating system is now available on the www.generalmusic.com website. Go to downloads and scroll down to WK6/8 and you will see the June 28,2000 date.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online