SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#507529 - 01/31/23 02:08 PM SWAM solo instruments now on iPhone!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You’ve heard me rave about the SWAM solo instruments… well, they now run not only on iPad, but they just added iPhone compatibility. And the icing on the cake is, if you already bought iPad version, the iPhone version is free, on your iCloud account!

Just downloaded them, I’ll get back to you with any restrictions I find. Currently, as I don’t use my iPhone (8) with earbuds, I will have to order a combo lightning to headphone and charger pass through dongle to be able to connect usb MIDI and get the audio out to my sound system, but they’re pretty cheap. And they work pretty well just using the built-in speakers. So hopefully, as well using a dongle for 1/8” mini Jack outs.

Seriously guys, if you’re into playing sax or violin/cello solos, these blow ANY arranger’s sounds out of the water… only issue I have is that their effects are pretty minimal (a fairly small hall, no delay) so if you want a bigger reverb or delay etc, you’ll need to run it in an AU host program like Camelot etc..

#507534 - 02/01/23 09:19 AM Re: SWAM solo instruments now on iPhone! [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

I had a correspondence with Audio Modeling, and they report that they are working to improve the reverb and add a delay to the standalone version. Good news!

An interesting fact (I’m still in correspondence to clarify if you have to own the desktop version or can use another’s presets) is that a couple of the pitch instability parameters, even though you can’t edit them on the iPad version, if you can import a desktop user preset you can get those parameters to work. One of the dead giveaway’s of a keyboard sax is how perfectly they are always in tune unless you ride the bender. A little bit of random slight pitch instability helps avoid that…

And I also made inquiries if they were working on a blues and chromatic harmonica model, and they report they do have one in development. That’s another sound that samples don’t quite get it right, be nice to have a SWAM solution…

#507536 - 02/02/23 05:05 AM Re: SWAM solo instruments now on iPhone! [Re: Diki]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
This sounds very interesting, and I like the idea of being able to improve my sounds without having to buy a whole new keyboard.

I do wonder, however, how practical this is, especially in a live situation. For example, is it easy to change sounds on the fly?

Also, I use my iPad for lead sheets and lyrics. Would you be able to run both apps at the same time?

Anyways, thanks for bringing this product to our attention.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#507537 - 02/02/23 06:23 AM Re: SWAM solo instruments now on iPhone! [Re: montunoman]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By montunoman
This sounds very interesting, and I like the idea of being able to improve my sounds without having to buy a whole new keyboard.

I do wonder, however, how practical this is, especially in a live situation. For example, is it easy to change sounds on the fly?

Also, I use my iPad for lead sheets and lyrics. Would you be able to run both apps at the same time?

Anyways, thanks for bringing this product to our attention.

How effective they will sound will be determined by how capable the Midi capabilities are of your arranger. (A lot of arrangers suck)
Depending on the iPad & OS you should be able to run the 2 programs, but in all honesty there is not enough real estate to have both on-screen at the same time.
Voices can be changed on the iPad via touch, however whether they can be integrated into the arranger, (So you don’t need to touch the program once setup or for editing) will once again be determined by the arrangers Midi functions.

Bill

#507538 - 02/02/23 12:55 PM Re: SWAM solo instruments now on iPhone! [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

There are varying solutions to this issue. Yes, firstly, on a per registration basis, your arranger needs to be able to decide which Keyboard Parts address internal or external sounds. Also, what channel you want the external Part set to (if you decide to load multiple iOS instruments at once).

There are also iOS (and iPadOS) host programs that can automate much of the mapping chores about sliders, controllers and the like. Audio Modeling have their own (Camelot Pro, not sure if that has an iPhone port yet), and although complicated, Key Stage gets good reviews. Inside these host programs you can load multiple instruments (that remain suspended until used) and access any Garage Band or other iOS effects like better reverbs, delays, amp sims, whatever and insert or send from the iOS instruments.

Think of them as a mini DAW inside your tablet, but optimized for live use.

But we’re running before we walk here. I intend to, for a while, simply load up the saxes or strings manually and just have a MIDI Set set to send out UPR1 linked to Performances (registrations) that I intend to use the SWAM stuff on. Nice and simple.

The SWAM stuff does have excellent MIDI Learn capabilities, so it’s a snap to map sliders knobs pedals and switches (if they transmit MIDI) to parameters like growl, reverb, breathiness etc.. and get live control of stuff.

Yes, I guess further down the line I’m going to look at more iPad/iPhone instruments like IK Multimedia’s B3 sim etc., and Modaart is rumoring a Pianoteq virtual grand sim coming for iPad. But for now, I’m just keeping it simple!

#507539 - 02/02/23 01:06 PM Re: SWAM solo instruments now on iPhone! [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

By the way, the SWAM stuff can run in the background while other programs run. Nice!

#507550 - 02/07/23 11:55 AM Re: SWAM solo instruments now on iPhone! [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

First niggle…

Because of the small screen real estate, different edit and play screens are only available in either portrait or landscape orientation, which means turning the phone around a fair bit while doing setup. Not that easy with a big dongle sticking out the bottom with usb, audio mini jack and Lightning power all connected!

Not an issue if you set it all up in advance before you perform, but a bit of a faff while you are messing around!

And yes, you can get MIDI in and audio out all while simultaneously charging. I bought one of these… https://www.amazon.com/USB-Camera-Adapter-Headphone-Compatible/dp/B07P94PB7Z

More to come…

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online